Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control less intrusive while on Sport/Semi-auto shift mode :)

Hey guys..not sure if this has been discussed earlier but I was interested in knowing your observation about this..Let me start by saying its not a problem actually a good thing :)

Whenever I drive in auto mode that is 'D', i find that when we enter sharp turns the VSC takes over quite a lot and doesnt let us give it a full push through the corner. Its like it knows its a corner before we even start entering the corner and limits the throttle, which is a good thing because its trying to save us from a possible understeer or oversteer which I had faced before in my Camry and almost went through a signal light once lol...

And coming to what I want to point out..whenever I am on 'S' or semi-auto mode, I can push the throttle harder and feels like VSC is not taking over my driving on a hard corner..it does eventually if its way over the limit or if the car starts to spin out..in other words have you guys noticed both the traction control and VSC not bothering us much when in semi-auto mode? Its almost like it lets us play for a bit and then wait till we loose it to intervene instead of not letting us even try..actually after I watched the intro video of the new Lexus CT 200H last night I heard them say when in 'Sport' mode the traction control and VSC are less intrusive..that just reminded me that its the same in the Aurion as well..after all Toyota makes them both :) Let me know if you guys have experienced this..Cheers :)

Ditto. I have found that VSC and TC functions exactly the same in D as it does in S. What you are experiencing is most likely the placebo effect. One thing to remember... where exactly do you get the impression that "S" stands for "Sports"? Just because the Lexus has a sports mode, doesn't mean the Aurion does as well simply because they are the same manufacturer.

Ditto. I have found that VSC and TC functions exactly the same in D as it does in S. What you are experiencing is most likely the placebo effect. One thing to remember... where exactly do you get the impression that "S" stands for "Sports"? Just because the Lexus has a sports mode, doesn't mean the Aurion does as well simply because they are the same manufacturer.

Correct, S stands for "S Mode", of which that S is an abbreviation of "Shift Range" ...

hehe nice to see your feedback guys..i may be wrong and its true S never stood for sports mode and Toyota never had mentioned about VSC being less intrusive on S mode..well i think whats going on is when im on 'shift range', i could push the car lot more harder just before entering/middle of the corner making it feel like the VSC has little intrusion but on D mode the throttle response is limited as soon as the front wheels start turning into a corner..im not saying the VSC doesnt work on S..i know the Lexus sports is different i agree..but leaving Lexus and their 'sports' mode aside, i have felt this slight difference between the D & S and thought i thought i share my experience..

And i think i have to agree it could be the placebo effect..because on S range just before i enter the corner i have dropped down the gears, put the car on much higher revs and enter it with so much more rage making it difficult for the poor VSC to cope up lol..

And if you guys are thinking why is this guy so much into taking hard cornering, its because of the cops and cameras reducing straight line speeding leaving me with only aggressive cornering to keep me awake :)

What you're probably experiencing is something similar to this:

When driving in S, and cornering or something, you're probably going to have a gear selected that will give you fairly high revs, so that you can accelerate out of the corners. This gives the sense of "stiffening" up the suspension and generally allows you to push the car a bit harder. This is opposed to driving in D where the gear the car has selected is generally too low, you get barely any revs to accelerate out of the corner and the car feels sluggish, not to mention you feel the effects of body roll a bit more.

I know when I was doing the driving course for work, we were taught to drive the cars (commodores in the sequential shift mode, keep the revs above 3000, and accelerate out of the corners. By keeping the revs high and accelerating out of the corners, the cars responded so much better and drove a heck of alot better. If we drove them in D, we'd generally be braking around a corner and the cars just felt crap.

Anyway, hopefully this makes sense....but that's my 2 cents anyway. :D

What you're probably experiencing is something similar to this:

When driving in S, and cornering or something, you're probably going to have a gear selected that will give you fairly high revs, so that you can accelerate out of the corners. This gives the sense of "stiffening" up the suspension and generally allows you to push the car a bit harder. This is opposed to driving in D where the gear the car has selected is generally too low, you get barely any revs to accelerate out of the corner and the car feels sluggish, not to mention you feel the effects of body roll a bit more.

I cant agree any more..thats exactly what I am feeling..now that you guys have given out the different explanations, its clear whats going on :)