Replacement Engine Cost for 2004 Camry Altise 2.4 Auto

willmccarthy

Hi all, my 2004 Camry Altise 2.4L automatic has badly blown a head gasket and barely can be driven. My mechanic in Melbourne is telling me that he has looked at the inside of the cylinders with a boroscope and the damage is beyond repair at a reasonable cost, and therefore the engine needs to be replaced. He is telling me that it will cost $4300 approx. for a second hand engine (if he can find one) or a new engine can be bought from Toyota for $5500; in either case he will charge about $1500 for labour to install. Are the prices he is quoting me realistic? The third option he is giving me is that he will buy the car as is for $1000. None of these 3 options are particularly appealing to me, can this engine replacement be done at a more reasonable price? As the car is in good shape apart from the engine I would be keen to keep it if it can be repaired at a reasonable cost. Any advice would be appreciated, Will

seriously, that kinda money is crap. For what he wants to charge for a new engine from toyota and installing it u could seriously by another camry the same as what u have...

not sure what gearbox ur running, as in if the 6cyl and 4cyl engines ran the same box in the camry, however u can get a 1MZ engine cheap, and if u do need a gearbox to suit they are cheap too...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-camry-V6-engine-3-litre-1MZ-FE-motor-wrecking-/320691238100?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aaaaff4d4

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Camry-MCV36R-3-0L-1MZ-FE-V6-Auto-Transmission-/170627602288?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ba329770

if he charges u say $1500 - $1800 to install these two parts, ur still only coming up to $3000 for a 2nd hand motor and box and upgrading to a V6... ;)

Sounds like your mechanic is trying to make a quick $$$'s at your expense with either repairing or buying. If you can, get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice. In the end I got the engine replaced by a wreckers called Imlach's in Clayton. Cost was $2500 for an engine which had done 50,000km, labour was $770 and there was a few other bits and pieces for another $200 or so. Overall very happy with the job these guys did, would highly recommend them. Service and communication was outstanding and a 6 month warranty on the new engine and the work to top it off. Cheers.

while we're on topic,

i also have an 03' auto acv30 camry (gen5), that my parents used to drive,

with 220xxx kms..,

i really want it to be converted to manual, would it be worth it at all ?

or should i wait till the eninge dies, then convert it to manual,

*jst looking for opinons*

thanks,

jeff

Edited by jeffy

Nope it is not worth it. It is always cheaper to sell your car and buy the manual version. This is coming from someone who has done it. It cost about 5k. The only time you would think about doing this is if your gearbox is about to die (mine was) and if there is significant amount of work done to it (mine has). So selling your car + 5k will give you a better car than swapping yours to manual. There are also less issues in the future too, my ecu will give me a "where is the auto gearbox" code but luckily this doesnt trigger the check engine light or the limp mode.

Also after seeing what the "mechanics" at the wreckers do and how they treat cars, I would never let them put a finger on my car.

Nope it is not worth it. It is always cheaper to sell your car and buy the manual version. This is coming from someone who has done it. It cost about 5k. The only time you would think about doing this is if your gearbox is about to die (mine was) and if there is significant amount of work done to it (mine has). So selling your car + 5k will give you a better car than swapping yours to manual. There are also less issues in the future too, my ecu will give me a "where is the auto gearbox" code but luckily this doesnt trigger the check engine light or the limp mode.

Also after seeing what the "mechanics" at the wreckers do and how they treat cars, I would never let them put a finger on my car.

i see, soo i'd have to change the ecu,

but the thing is, i dont intend to sell this camry ever,

its got sentimental value to my father. :3

if it didnt i wudve got a supra straight away. ahahahs xD

I changed the ecu to a manual one so that you don't get shift solenoid faults which will bring a check engine light and go into limp mode. However the loom must be slightly different too so that's why I still have that code.

Secondly although manual is fun and slightly faster. If you aren't going to mod it then i'd just stay auto unless your box is about to break. As I said I would rather spend that 5 k on something else eg suspension, wheels, tyres, or spend 5k tosards making boost.

Also selling your car + 5k will give you a manual v6 which would be heaps better and worlds apart performance wise.

I changed the ecu to a manual one so that you don't get shift solenoid faults which will bring a check engine light and go into limp mode. However the loom must be slightly different too so that's why I still have that code.

Secondly although manual is fun and slightly faster. If you aren't going to mod it then i'd just stay auto unless your box is about to break. As I said I would rather spend that 5 k on something else eg suspension, wheels, tyres, or spend 5k tosards making boost.

Also selling your car + 5k will give you a manual v6 which would be heaps better and worlds apart performance wise.

i see, thanks !

ill just wait for the gearbox to break *touch wood*