Issue with Mechanic

Leaping Tortoise

Hey all. Yesterday I put in my 2000 Toyota Avalon Conquest into the local mechanic. There were some leaks that they patched up (2 Rocker Gaskets needed to be replaced and they also replaced the Cam and Timing belts (timing belt had only been replaced 5000km ago). After I got the car back, I drove it home, and every so often it'd give off a big clunk. Once every so often, but getting more frequent after a few minutes.

I took the car back to the mechanics, where they said it was probably just a little water getting in the way from when they washed the engine (Hosed it down). So, after a day of waiting for them to tell me to come and pick it up, I called them and they told me that it was actually the spark plugs, and they'd replaced them with platinum spark plugs and a nice $200 fee (on top of the $800 they charged yesterday).

I have two questions, first: Is it absolutely essential to use the platinum spark plugs on an avalon? I'm a student, and this $800 repair has already put me under enormous financial strain. I'm wondering whether there's a cheaper (without going too dodgy) option.

Second, is it possible that the mechanics did something wrong and ruined the plugs? Given that the problem occurred almost instantly after I got it back, it seems.... a little suspicious (I took my old car to a different mechanic where everything was a huge problem that'd take several thousand dollars to fix, and it'd always come back with a new problem that had "nothing to do with what we were working on," so I decided to go with these guys for the new car).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Leaping.

Hey all. Yesterday I put in my 2000 Toyota Avalon Conquest into the local mechanic. There were some leaks that they patched up (2 Rocker Gaskets needed to be replaced and they also replaced the Cam and Timing belts (timing belt had only been replaced 5000km ago). After I got the car back, I drove it home, and every so often it'd give off a big clunk. Once every so often, but getting more frequent after a few minutes.

I took the car back to the mechanics, where they said it was probably just a little water getting in the way from when they washed the engine (Hosed it down). So, after a day of waiting for them to tell me to come and pick it up, I called them and they told me that it was actually the spark plugs, and they'd replaced them with platinum spark plugs and a nice $200 fee (on top of the $800 they charged yesterday).

I have two questions, first: Is it absolutely essential to use the platinum spark plugs on an avalon? I'm a student, and this $800 repair has already put me under enormous financial strain. I'm wondering whether there's a cheaper (without going too dodgy) option.

Second, is it possible that the mechanics did something wrong and ruined the plugs? Given that the problem occurred almost instantly after I got it back, it seems.... a little suspicious (I took my old car to a different mechanic where everything was a huge problem that'd take several thousand dollars to fix, and it'd always come back with a new problem that had "nothing to do with what we were working on," so I decided to go with these guys for the new car).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Leaping.

TBH it sounds like you got ripped off quite badly, a 5000km timing belt does not need replacing unless its been severely fouled by oil... and I would be willing to bet that platinum spark plugs are not required on an avalon.

I cant see how the plugs could even be related to some kind of clunk either...

Regarding the spark plugs, you should find a sticker under the front of the bonnet that will indicate the type of plug to be used. I have a 1999 Camry V6 and the sticker tells me Twin electrode Platinum (so does handbook and repair manual). I'm with Mick about the plugs causing the clunk.

Does the clunking still occur after the spark plugs were replaced?

I would say that it is something that they have done when replacing timing belt. If it is still doing it, suggest taking for a second opinion, even NRMA/RACV if a member OR even just explain what had been done and the noise, then the replacing of the spark plugs.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I did think that the timing belt was a bit odd (I thought that on avalon's they usually went for around 150,000km). That said, they did say that the leaking had caused the belt to deteriorate.

I haven't picked up the car yet, I've just told them that they're to put the old plugs back in. They said that three of the six plugs were dead.

To describe the "clunk;" The closest analogy of the sound would be two pieces of metal hitting each other at speed. It's accompanied by an immediate drop in power from the engine (It's happened at speeds as low as 30km/h and up to 80km/h, all starting within a minute of starting the car). I asked the mechanic how likely it was that three spark plugs would simultaneously fail immediately after I picked the car up from them. He said it was purely coincidence.

I'll get my own spark plugs and fit them tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

-Leaping.

Also, does anyone know some spark plugs that'd work well with the avalon?

Any Toyota Dealer will have the Denso (OEM) Platinum plug for around $15 plus GST.

I bought mine online from the US and it cost $63Aus for 6 Platinum Twin electrode Plugs and delivery.

Keep us updated on what happens.

Sounds fishy, very fishy

Any chance of being able to post up pictures of the belt?

If it was stuffed then it would be pretty easy to tell where it was stuffed as it will stand out because the belt is practically new.

any v6 configuration of engine where the rear bank is hard to get to you will find that a platinum type plug is used for its longevity.

i have seen a few cases where 1. question asked of a mechanic/ workshop. how much to do a timing belt (they quote labour and a belt) . if it was to be done properly the tensioners , idlers and seals ,water pump need to be inspected. expect a pair of cam seals and a crank seal would need replacing at 150 000klms too.

i have had a family friend ring up and ask for a 4cyl camry belt replacement price and he was quoted worse case scenario. belt ,seals idler bearings etc. he went with the ole $300 mate job from joe blogs local garage. Guess what ? it was back with in 3 months , oil all over the new "dayco timing belt" and a waterpump bearing shot. so he got a bill for $950 then plus the $300 for the dodgy job.

back on track .. as far as a clunk then needing platinum plugs , i say WTF

So obviously it was not the spark plugs causing the clunking. Did they tell you what the clunking was?

Anyway, good to hear that all is well, and hopefully pleasant motoring for another 150,000 ks.