LPG

ozemale

Hi

new to forum.

Can anyone tell me how the 4L engine converts to LPG.

And given the cost of conversion, is it worth it.

PS what is approx. cost of conversion and useage per 100km

Conversion cost is about $2-5k but i'm not exactly sure as i did my LPG conversion 7+ years ago. There's also the LPG rebate as well - http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/Energyandfuels/LPGVehicleScheme/Pages/home.aspx

As for fuel ecc you are looking at 1.2-2.0 times more with LPG compared to petrol. This depends how you drive and where you drive.

The real question is how many kms do you drive each year?

The more you drive the more you save but if you only drive like 5000km each year i wouldn't even both looking at doing a LPG conversion. Even if you wanted to convert over to LPG it would take around 10 years driving at 5000km each year to make a saving on using LPG.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

• 7 months later...

I had my 2005 4L Prado converted to LPG about 2.5 years ago. Cost was $4000, I got $2000 back but I think that you get less now. It costs more than some cars because they fit 6 LPG injector valves, unlike the cheaper aspirated type conversions. Benefits are, very little noticeable drop in performance, even when pulling my 2.5 ton Supreme caravan and all the gear.

It uses approx 15l/100km of gas ( LPG being less than half price, works out at about 7.5l/100km petrol price equivalent). Towing the van it gets approx 22 l/100km.

The main disadvantage is, only 55 useable litres of gas per fill. So the range on gas is about 350km, and only about 230km when towing. However it still has the 2nd petrol tank fitted and with the 90 litres , the range of the vehicle is still very good. The engine starts on petrol and when temperature is up, auro switch to gas, or flip a switch between gas and petrol for a totally seamless switchover. I paid for my conversion after about 1.5 years. Service costs are low, the main one being filters every 30,000 to 40,000. Still maint costs for a petrol engine are a lot less than diesel., and I feel it was well worth the effort.

Cheers