Muffler for my 2011 Rolla Ascent Hatch

Hey guys, after getting my wheels and tyres installed and lowered, I'm thinking of getting a new muffler installed in my car to give it a bit of a "sportier" note and was wondering what kinds of mufflers everyone would suggest? I've read that lots of people are going for Xforce and Magnaflow, but what are the pros/cons of both and are there any other manufacturers I could look at? Not looking to spend toooooo much (I think I saw the price of TRD high response mufflers were like $750 not installed) but somewhere around the $400-$500 mark?

Also, where would be the best place that people would suggest in Melbourne for me to go get it done? Cheers guys :)

Thanks, but was hoping to go to a place in Melbourne that would have the stock readily available.

@Jeffy: probably. Unless other people have better opinions/options.

have you checked firesport ?

and i saw in autobarn a muffler thats 2.5" in and 4" out for like $85

so I just called up Dandy Exhausts and the guy suggested for me to get a Catco Metal Cat (not sure about the dimensions - I'm quite newbie when it comes to all this stuff) and Xforce Twinloop (deciding whether to go S10 or S12 - I guess which is a better fit).. all fitted for $750? sound about right to you guys?

On the topic of the dimensions for the cat - what should I be looking at? :huh:

Its not that straight forward with the ZRE due to the angle of the rear box. I would recommend an axle back exhaust (like TRD, C-One, Kakimoto etc etc) or an axle back custom job. Most straight thru mufflers will need to hang quite low for the tip to exit at a decent angle, compromising the underbody clearance.

thanks for the info, dutchie. Would most exhaust shops be able to do a custom job for me (I'm assuming it would cost more). What exaclty is an axleback exhaust and how does it differ from a highflow cat?

My setup

Fullexhaust.jpg

High flow cat, i dont think is worth it for the minimal if any gains.

The ZRE also has a large resonator and cat in one, see my pic, bottom torpedo looking thang:

removed.jpg

I removed it in the setup originally, but after shaking the ***** out of my teeth and being way too loud, i opted to put it back in. Dropped a few kW doing so.

Axle back is just as it reads. There is a join above the rear axle, and this is where 90% of the ZRE systems are made back from. See the pic of bits and you will see what i mean. A good box from the axle back is generally fine for sound enhancement..

The angle of my JunBL setup...

exhuaust1.jpg

... And yep, any decent exhaust house should be able to easily do an axle back system...If not theres something seriously wrong...

My setup

Fullexhaust.jpg

High flow cat, i dont think is worth it for the minimal if any gains.

The ZRE also has a large resonator and cat in one, see my pic, bottom torpedo looking thang:

removed.jpg

I removed it in the setup originally, but after shaking the ***** out of my teeth and being way too loud, i opted to put it back in. Dropped a few kW doing so.

Axle back is just as it reads. There is a join above the rear axle, and this is where 90% of the ZRE systems are made back from. See the pic of bits and you will see what i mean. A good box from the axle back is generally fine for sound enhancement..

The angle of my JunBL setup...

exhuaust1.jpg

... And yep, any decent exhaust house should be able to easily do an axle back system...If not theres something seriously wrong...

Thanks mate. So in other words, you're saying to keep my stock cat and resonator (I'm assuming mine has one - lol you can tell I'm completely clueless), and throw on an axleback? Would I still be able to use the Xforce S10 / S12 muffler with this kind of setup? And damn, I love your exhaust tips :D

thanks buddy - I'll give them a call today and see what they reckon about the axle back exhaust rather than the high flow cat - I'm assuming a custom axle back shouldn't cost any more than the high flow cat?

thanks for all the help and suggestions man. I'm thinking of going highflow cat with the twinloop S10 or S12 - would you suggest to put a resonator on? Would I get any cabin drone without an additional resonator (seeing as I'll be getting rid of the combined stock cat/resonator?

Yeah man, you would need a resonator if you wanna keep your teeth! I mean im getting old, ( :rolleyes: ) and just couldnt handle the volume. It sounded bloody awesome tho, with the most killer overrun, but not for a daily. I was willing to reduce total flow and put the torpedo back in, thus loosing some added power too, to keep the sound where i wanted it.

You can hear my setup here:

http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz8/dutchie10101/?action=view&current=ZREexhaustnote.mp4

Maybe opt for the axle back first, then do the rest of the system as you see fit in time. Just a suggestion B)

Yeah man, you would need a resonator if you wanna keep your teeth! I mean im getting old, ( :rolleyes: ) and just couldnt handle the volume. It sounded bloody awesome tho, with the most killer overrun, but not for a daily. I was willing to reduce total flow and put the torpedo back in, thus loosing some added power too, to keep the sound where i wanted it.

You can hear my setup here:

http://s808.photobuc...exhaustnote.mp4

Maybe opt for the axle back first, then do the rest of the system as you see fit in time. Just a suggestion B)

Ahh lol alright - I guess I'll see how much everything costs tomorrow - cat + resonator + muffler; compared to just the muffler? Does the simple change in muffler whilst keeping the stock cat and resonator do that much for sound / performance?

Btw your car is just ****ing sweeeeeet man.

Muffler change does make a huge difference. The vid is my full system wit torpedo(OEM cat+resonator in one), InjenCAI and JunBL DTM tipped muffler, no cat change . Im kinda learning now that chasing power in the ZRE is tiny bits at a time, it does all add up but the stock system from the block to the axle is reasonably good. I would have obtained a little deeper note due to the larger diameter of the piping over OEM.

Thanks buddy you've been a real help. I guess ill stick with just getting the muffler installed and save my money from installing a brand new cat and resonator.

Would it make more sense in that case to get a cold air intake installed to make up for not opting for the new high flow cat and resonator installed ? :)

Ive got a custom exhaust, supercat middle muffler and a xforce s10 twinloop on the end, heres what it sounds like.

Super cat ey? What is this super cat you speak of? Also how much did your system end up costing?

I'm still debating whether to stick with axleback, twinloop muffler + CAI or to go for the full catback, reso and twinloop muffler.

Does anyone know where I can get a CAI and have it installed in Melbourne? Mines the facelift so I don't know how I'd go about installing the CAI myself die to the MAF sensor and airbox being one unit.

Very nice note on the exhaust though btw :)