Aurion tyre wear

Bob.Pitt

Only just changed mine on the SX6 the "Michellin Energy MXV8" at 76,000km. One was at 0mm, the rest had a bit of tread, kept the highest as the spare (being broke sucks.)

My Presara has 70k on it and I estimate another 5k before needing to replace - that's with 38psi - so similar results to yours - I'm happy with that.

Yeah just changed the Michelins out at 73.5k with plenty left on them - I just have this thing about wet roads and speed.

The Tire guys comment was that the 38 psi all round was giving extremely even wear across the tires.

I reckon the the fronts had about 2k and the rears 4 k left in them.

The original spare was unused so I purchased 3 new MX Michies for $259 each - so the cost of tyres is about $1 per 10k - roughly

Happy with that.

I didn't know the word 'co ar se' would be censored.

Yeah, the auto censor is ******* ****** ********! It does ********* occasionally, with good ********** and **** most definitely ******.

***** ******* **** **** ?!

:g:

My tyres are 215/55 R17 - Michelin XMV8's

Last night after having driven for 20 - 25 minutes, I pumped up my front tyres to 39psi and rears to 36psi.

I will be re-checking the tyre pressures when they are cold (before having been driven)

It's vital to check your tyre pressures at least once a fortnight and don't forget the spare tyre.

You don't want to end up with a flat tyre, pull out the spare and find out that is flat too.

The (car) manufacturers recommendations for tyre pressures tend to be biased for a comfortable ride and you are quite safe going up to 5psi more.

The benefits of going up in psi being less rolling resistance = (slightly) improved fuel economy (well, in theory anyway) and better handling. It can make the ride a tad hasher, depending on the tyres and suspension setup of the car in question.

I get the idea of tyre heating... but the weight seems to be more over the front tyres - I think that because the rear feels more bouncy when the pressures are the same as the front

I have found this too.

The same tyre pressure in all the tyres makes the ride seem "bouncy", particulalry at lower speed and when decelerating.

• 2 months later...

i usually try and keep my pressures around 36psi in the front and 38psi in the rear smile.gif

Interesting, I have typically had a couple of psi more in the front than in the rear tyres.

Lately have been using 39 in the front and 37 in the back.

I might try it the other way around and see what difference it makes.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, after stopping and filling up at the Petrol station I adjusted my tyre pressures.

37psi in the front and 39psi in the back. On Michelin XMV8 215//55 R17 tyres.

I'm quite happy with the result.

The ride feels more comfortable, the bounciness on decelleration at the lights feels markedly lessened.

I think I will be sticking with this configuration.

I'd be interested to hear from others that might try it.

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking and would welcome any thoughts or feedback.

My 2011 Aurion Touring has 17 inch rims and 55/215 , Michelin XMV8 tyres (which also seem a bit noisy).

Sometimes I find the suspension setup a bit annoying as it tends to be a bit "bouncy", particularly at lower speed.

I was wondering if going to a slighly wider and taller profile tyre like a Size ( 225/60R17 ) would make an improvement or what effect such a change might make?

Also, other than the bigger rims, I assume the ATX and the Touring have the same (identical) suspension ? as I haven't read anything anywhere indicating any difference.

You do realise that putting on 225/60R17 tyres onto an aurion would make the speedo read the real speed badly.

If you less "bounce" then get low profile tyres and stiffer springs.

Good point,

With that setup (according to online calculators) when my speedo is showing 100klms/hr I'd actually be doing 105klms/hr ....hello speeding fines.

With 225/55 R17 tyres instead of the stock 215/55 R17's at 100 klms/hr I'd actually be doing 101.6klms/hr.

I best wait my current set of tyres wears out and just go to a more "comfortable" and quieter, touring type tyre.

Agreed?

You would get less bounce if you went with sport tyres due to the hard sidewall. Bridgestone RE002 are pretty quiet for the amount of grip they provide. I'm on RE001 and they are pretty quiet to me considering they are performance tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, have just read the whole post as I have just put a set of 18" rims on my 07 prodigy and was wondering about tyre pressures The factory sticker doesn't give info for 18s, only 17s) I found that pressures of 34 psi (cold) all round left "road marks" on the shoulder of the front tyres and the rears seemed to contact the road fairly evenly. These are a brand new set of tyres and I don't want to scrub the shoulders off them. I have increased front pressures to 38 psi (again cold) and found that they look to sit a little better but still look low. Bearing in mind that air expands with heat and there is a max of 49 psi printed on the side of the tyre, I'm not game to increase the pressures any further. My car does mainly short runs around town (taking kids to school etc.) How much can I expect pressures to spike if I put it on the highway for a couple of hours?