Aurion Sportivo Exhaust Change

DanielV

Hey All

First of all I would just like to introduce myself. My name is Daniel and I Have a 07 Sportivo ZR6. This is only my second post (first being in the new members page)and have found this site very useful in answering alot of questions about common problems on cars. I would like to apologise in advance if this question has been asked before but there are alot of Threads and I havent been able to read them all. My problem is that one of my mufflers have rusted through in the spotwelds on the muffler and is leaking. I have tried to claim it under the extra care warranty but with no success. This was not much of a problem and gave me a reason to change and upgrade the exhaust. I have spoken to a exhaust bloke here in sydney about the XForce Varex mufflers and was given the following advice about their application on the aurions.

I was advised that they were not suitable for a duel exhaust application due to weight (Apparently over 10kgs each muffler) and that with the Aurions, the aftermarket exhausts cause too much loss of backpressure and loss of torque down low. He also advised me that the Aurions have stainless steel exhausts and that it should not have rusted in the first place.

I am aware that when you make changes to exhausts or any other type of performance modification that you run the risk of changing the performance levels of the vehicle, either good or bad and am looking for feedback from anyone who has either just the mufflers,or the whole exhaust done, and what they think of it before I go out and have it done. I would like to know if their was much of a loss down low and especially since alot of my driving is on the freeways (approx 1500kms a week) whether or not there is a bad droning sound. I would like a nice exhaust note as long as it doesnt give me a headache at the end of the trip and any bit of performance improvement would be a bonus

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I was advised that they were not suitable for a duel exhaust application due to weight (Apparently over 10kgs each muffler)

If I heard that advice, I'd be questioning the quality of advice I'd be getting from that person.

From my own experience, I have not found the Varex to cause any loss in power or an increase in fuel consumption. I had a pair fitted in March 2009 (see "DJKOR's Aurion" & "GOT MY VAREX =]") and considering that afterwards I had remained just as heavy-footed... or increased... my fuel consumption figures did not go bad. If anything, they probably improvedd slightly, but that could have been many other factors. Anyways, you can see my fuel consumption trends here:

Aurion Fuel Consumption (Excel Spreadsheet)

My quarter mile times weren't affected as well. Actually I had one of my best runs with said aftermarket exhaust fitted (see here) but once again, there could have been a number of other factors at play.

As for when the Varex is closed, I can't quite say. I rarely ever closed mine and after seeing how much of a restriction it cam be when closed, I never really liked the idea. Personally, I would suggest to save your money and just get a pair of good quality high-flow mufflers. The Varex are pretty much a gimmick.

I was advised that they were not suitable for a duel exhaust application due to weight (Apparently over 10kgs each muffler)

If I heard that advice, I'd be questioning the quality of advice I'd be getting from that person.

From my own experience, I have not found the Varex to cause any loss in power or an increase in fuel consumption. I had a pair fitted in March 2009 (see "DJKOR's Aurion" & "GOT MY VAREX =]") and considering that afterwards I had remained just as heavy-footed... or increased... my fuel consumption figures did not go bad. If anything, they probably improvedd slightly, but that could have been many other factors. Anyways, you can see my fuel consumption trends here:

Aurion Fuel Consumption (Excel Spreadsheet)

My quarter mile times weren't affected as well. Actually I had one of my best runs with said aftermarket exhaust fitted (see here) but once again, there could have been a number of other factors at play.

As for when the Varex is closed, I can't quite say. I rarely ever closed mine and after seeing how much of a restriction it cam be when closed, I never really liked the idea. Personally, I would suggest to save your money and just get a pair of good quality high-flow mufflers. The Varex are pretty much a gimmick.

Yeah His advice did seem a bit weird hence why I resorted to the internet. The only reason why I give this particular person some weight is because he has done some work for me on two of my previous cars and is a genius, does brilliant work. I like the idea of what the varex muffles do and am still considering junking the whole exhaust system and going down the custom road. Thanks for the feedback

Guy sounds like he's talking out of his rear

Aurions don't have a stainless exhaust from the factory for example. I don't think even the TRDs had stainless. It'd be a very expensive change for Toyota to make with minimal gains.

Further to say that aftermarket exhausts cost too much in back pressure and result in poor performance is a VERY broad and VERY non-specific statement that just shows how little he knows. There aren't any off-the-shelf exhausts for the Aurion at this time so I find it very hard to accept that he has mysteriously been able to make some all-knowing statement about every custom exhaust made.

Long story short -> this guy either doesn't know *****, or simple doesn't want your business because it requires him to actually think.

I've also made the enquiries (at a different exhaust shop) and have had no response like that. Infact the mechanic didn't say anything about pressures or weight which made me think that there wasn't much change if any.

Did you get a quote for how much it would cost? I got just over a grand for twin mufflers and resonator removal + labour (I haven't had the exhaust done at this point of time)