Thristy Camry 1993 2.2L

bobbie

Hi guys, I've receive a Toyota Camry 1993 from my parents but I'm really concern as it uses so much petrol and not sure if its worth full servicing the car as its sitting on 300K KM.

Was looking through Redbook and other websites regarding fuel consumption and this camry drinks alot. I feed it 91.

Freeway driving - 10L/100KM (Redbook - 6.6L/100KM)

Urban driving 12-15L/100KM (Redbook - 10L/100KM)

My dad goes due to age this is normal and he goes a full service is not worth it for a car this age and KM. He recently got the belt changed though cost $300. He does the usual maintenance to the car though such as oil change etc.

Also when driving freely the temperature gauge is at the coldest, while when I driving and have to start and go and get stuck in traffic the gauge starts creeping up. How to fix this? So it just sits at half at all times?

Is there a guide around where I can manual fix it up before I take it in to the Mechanics. I have very little knowledge about cars.

Much help appreciated

Regards

Bobbie

Definitely not normal to be using that much fuel, my parents have a '96 5SFE Camry and it gets better than Redbook figures around town (that is with manual though) and it has done 300,000k. The temp gauge staying cold unless in traffic is a classic sign of the thermostat being jammed open, which can increase fuel consumption (as the engine isn't warming up and running rich). Could be a few other issues, try checking for error codes and then resetting the ECU, good old-fashioned tune-up/service (oil + filter, air filter, spark plugs, good fuel etc) can't hurt either.

the thermostat being jammed open, which can increase fuel consumption (as the engine isn't warming up and running rich). Could be a few other issues, try checking for error codes and then resetting the ECU, good old-fashioned tune-up/service (oil + filter, air filter, spark plugs, good fuel etc) can't hurt either.

Thanks Hiro, would you know how much will the mechanics charge for replacing the thermostat and tune up?

Can someone suggest a good mechanic in Melbourne? cheers

WHich area you from?

WEst/east/north ?

West, but I dont mind the travel :)

cool, i know a mechanic in north sunshine, ill forward you the number when i find his card

• 3 months later...

This happened to me in my 1994 Rolla. Thermostat cost 100 to replace, it was stuck open and on the motorway would not shift into 4th O/D because the engine hadn't warmed up.... my fuel consumption went from 300 a tank to 500km a tank once i replaced the thermostat.

This happened to me in my 1994 Rolla. Thermostat cost 100 to replace, it was stuck open and on the motorway would not shift into 4th O/D because the engine hadn't warmed up.... my fuel consumption went from 300 a tank to 500km a tank once i replaced the thermostat.

$100 to replace a thermostat? If nothing is broken and you re-use the coolant then you can do it yourself for around $20.

$100 to replace a thermostat? If nothing is broken and you re-use the coolant then you can do it yourself for around $20.

the whole thermostat needed to be replaced, including the little ring that come with it.

the coolant couldn't be reused either... hence the cost.