Toyota Supra transmission conversion.

Adenfrrr

Hey guys, just stumbled across this forum and it seems perfect to help me out.

I'm going for my P's soon and i've been looking for some Toyota supra's.

I'm not interested in an automatic, it just doesn't appeal to me to get an auto with this type of car.

It's going to be my first car obviously so i'm looking for cheaper yet legit trustworthy deals however the only cheap, good supra's I can see around for a reasonable low price are automatic. I'm curious as to whether it would be worth buying one and getting an auto to manual conversion.

I've been looking around and can't really find anywhere that estimates the price for this car. So i'm having an ask here.

How much do you guys think a cheaper range supra (8 - 11 grand) automatic would cost to be converted to a manual 5 speed? I'm looking for models at least made in 1994.

regards, Aden

hey dude, welcome,

i too have been lookin at supras for a while (lets see since i was about 16 :whistling: )

just buy a manual, to get a conversion would cost you the same as buying a manual, if not more,

if anything buy an SZ-R manual, apperantly its the most reccomended one to convert that into turbo,

• 3 months later...

Much much easier to buy a manual straight up.

Theres so much info around the net but jeffy is right about the SZR model. I could sit here for hours and type out your options but I'll do my best to consolidate the info :P

Basically you've got pre facelift and post facelift and the models changed at that point.

1993-1996.5 - Series 1 or S1

1996.5 on - Series 2 or S2 (facelift introduced many many aesthetic changes as well as changes to the models etc)

Now theres the non turbo models and turbo models. Since listing everything about the turbo models will just confuse you since you're only looking at NA Supras I'll stick with non turbo models.

S1 SZ - 'Ghetto' spec. Small brakes, open diff (A01A), auto gearbox (A340E) or manual gearbox (W58). Everything an option...

S2 SZ - Basic spec. Small brakes, open diff (A01A, A02B LSD optional), auto gearbox (A340E) or manual gearbox (W58)

S2 SZR - Top spec. Big brakes, LSD (A02B), 6spd manual (V161). All the gear from the twin turbo model, converting to turbo is a straight drop in ;)

From experience you're better off saving up 15 grand or so and getting an S2 SZR. So many S1 SZ models are just falling apart just from getting trashed and not cared for etc. Trust me on this, get and SZR and have the best of the best on your car from factory that will take all you can throw at it, or get an S1 SZ and spend the leftover money fixing all the oil leaks (and all it takes to break a 5spd is a stern look and a few nasty words, seriously they're weak as.)

Converting is possible but very difficult. I converted an auto to 6spd myself and the gearbox alone costs 3-4 grand alone and its a serious undertaking.

Do yourself a favor, stick with an SZR :)