SR20 powered TA22

74 TA22

Hey there guys. I'm pretty new to the site as a member but I've been on it a bit before I decided to join.

I just bought a TA22 a few days ago as a project car. I plan to buy a SR20, rebuild the engine and get it into the Celica. I want to be making around 200-250kw when I'm finished. I know I'll need a new gearbox and depending on the box I may need a custom bell housing, box mounts and tail shaft with a Hilux diff maybe? I've heard that the box of a CA18 would work alright for this. any thoughts on that? I will need to move the steering column. Maybe about 10-12mm?

I've never done an engine conversion before but I've just started a trade as a mechanic (more diesel and heavy vehicles though but principles are the same)so I'm going to learn a lot from this.

Has anyone either done this conversion before or has some helpful infomation on it? Any input you guys have would be great.

This is her atm, sitting out at my girlfriends house :)

post-26556-0-69609000-1321443843_thumb.j

Come have a look at toymods forum, there are heaps of the modified first gen celica's. If you search the members rides for bigmats ra28 it has all the details about his build where he put an sr20 into a ra28. Whilst there engine bay is a little longer most of the theory is the same. You can also check out the tech threads and members rides for suspension, brakes, diff and steering upgrades. Good luck with your project.