illuminated door sills

hey guys, a few days ago i installed ONE of the door sills and it works fine, now today installed another two, and they all didn't work. Then i went back and took off the last two i did and leaving me with the ONE i orignally did first, and now that doesn't work; now i think its a power problem because my interior light, clock, and deck don't work i.e. no power, and i made sure i didn't cut the power wires anywhere.

i disconnected the battery while i was doing it just incase, so any ideas guys?

Edited by melvinlau

Yeah man, its sure sounds like a blown fuse.

Take everything out until the point which it last worked, then install the new fuse.

You may have tapped into the wrong wire, or shorted it out by not insulating properly

nice work guys, yeh i busted a fuse, and now i got the whole left side working. not sure what i did wrong, going by KT's guide the left rear one was the one which had a choice of 3 wires to pick from and i got that one. maybe its power extension to the drivers side? how'd u guys do it? just splice the 12v wire, the transformer wire, and the extension wire together rite?

well i thought i'd let you guys know that the door sills are up and running, after running to repco for new fuses and some help from KT_haha, ura champ!

so i never figured out the reason for the fuse blowing TWICE! :blink: but in the end i got them all working and they look great.

just incase any of you guys decide to install a set later on, there has been a guide posted, and just incase you run in to the same problem as me, which was that i didn't have the red/green wire for the door sensor at the front right side. instead i had a light blue one.

thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just to clarify on the installation - did you stick the door sill on the original with the wires to the side, or did you make a hole in the original sills for the wires to go through?

(talking about the wires on the illuminated door sill)

I haven't installed yet and was trying to figure out how best to fit the sills and am a bit worried the wire will make the sill sit too high

thanks

Nick

Hi

Just to clarify on the installation - did you stick the door sill on the original with the wires to the side, or did you make a hole in the original sills for the wires to go through?

I haven't installed yet and was trying to figure out how best to fit the sills and am a bit worried the wire will make the sill sit too high

thanks

Nick

Here's a method i used to get the sill to sit as low as possible.

Stick the sill on the original sill and put the wires to the side (no need to drill holes), push onto it for a minute or so then grab a towel and place it on top of the sill and close the door, and leave overnight (sounds we're cooking somewhere here :P )... this way your sill will be pushed down for a long period of time for maximum stick.

Take off the towels the next day and wire it up... worked well for me and a friend of mine. No scratches or anything so far. :D

I just realised the other night I made a booboo and spliced the wrong wire on the front pasenger side. Not a biggy but the rear AND front passenger door switches activate it. It makes little different though it gives the desired effect :).

Ya know, I just had a thought I wouldn't mind getting one more sill, chopping it back and mounting it just behind the gauze of the sports grill and wiring it to trigger with my headlights, that would be pretty cool :D

Edited by Blade Hunter

Hi

thanks

Nick

yeh do exactly what bigbum said, you don't need to drill a hole, because theres like a little gap you can put it through anyway, but when i first installed it it was rubbing on the doors a little, and when i went over bumps it would creak. but i realised what bigbum realised. just to put something there overnight to compress it a bit, good luck

Actually, on second thoughts, would the water from the rain have a detrimental effect on this or could I effectively water proof it enough with the heandy use of insulation tape?. Just to remind you I want to have the glowing "Corolla" thingy behind the mesh in my sports grill and wire it into the headlight switch.

Actually, on second thoughts, would the water from the rain have a detrimental effect on this or could I effectively water proof it enough with the heandy use of insulation tape?. Just to remind you I want to have the glowing "Corolla" thingy behind the mesh in my sports grill and wire it into the headlight switch.

The whole door sill seems pretty well insulated, but I guess if you want to be more careful you may want to tape up spots where there could be potential wires exposed.

i think u'll be alright dude. it could be heat from that area that i'd be more worried about. :(

yeh i guess heat woud be a problem, depending on how you secure it, if its just gonna be the tape it came with, then i might just melt off after a while :blink: but if your worried about water, you could take a page out of 'pimp my ride' and get plastic tubing around the wires.