1993 Holden Apollo SLX 5 speed manual surging

Hi all, just wondering if anyone could help me out here, when my Apollo warms up a little the engine starts missing. it's also noticeable while driving. the car surges very badly when it's warm. once the speed is up. it's beautiful. the car does not stall, the air-conditioner does not affect it either. Ive changed*

*Map Sensor

*New spark Plugs

*Fuel Filter

*Oil filter and new oil

*another distributor cap

*o2 Sensor

*Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. (on the side of the motor)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank's heap's Daniel.

Have you cleaned the throttle body or IAC/ISC valve?

Is there any fluctuation at idle?

Was this happening before the work above was carried out or did you perform the work to try fix the issue?

Hi again. I most certainly have cleaned those. i will do the plug leads tommorow and see how that goes. it run's beautiful while it is cold, like there is nothing wrong at all. when it is warm, the idle is everywhere. there is also bursts of air coming out of the exhaust. I really like this little car and will do anything i can to get it back to perfect. thank's for the replie's. Also i done the work to try correct the problem. Thank's again.

Ah. Runs ok cold, but all over the place hot. Can I suggest you clean the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation valve). Google it, there seems to be a heap of info on how to do it.

If the Apollo has the same series engine as the Camry, it won't have an EGR valve like the Celicas.

I dont know Trent, havent had experience personally, I googled it http://www.ehow.com/how_5994106_change-egr-valve-_93-camry.html but suggested that Daniel might like to make his own enq. Sorry if I have given you the wrong info, but with the symptons certainly something to check on a motor.

Lol, that confirms alot. i was going to say, "This is going to sound stupid, but i can't find the EGR Valve". the little car has a pretty big oil leak to. but i always check it to make sure it's full. hoping there's no deep down engine problems. it gets hot to, bit passed halfway. but the camry just moves up a little bit. i did a radiator flush and bled it, also changed the radiator cap. maybe i should put my time into the camry? only thing is tough it's automatic. i prefer manual's.

Um, if your engine is getting hot and purging the radiator fluid, then you have bigger problems. If you have a cracked head it will build up pressure in your radiator. Maybe it is time to take it to someone who can give you an opinion.

There is no water mixing with the oil and no steam coming out of the exhaust. does'nt seem to be any bubbles in the radiator. hopefully i figure it out soon. i use to own the older ford's which are known for there head problems. The Apollo is'nt showing any [ Besides heating up a little ]. Thank's, daniel.

Sorry for the late reply, took the car to roma and back, problem got no worse or better. made it perfectly fine. The idle is not that bad, just a miss every 4 second's or so. When i put my foot on the accelerator, it feels like it loses power until the rev's go up a bit.cruising at 100km/h you don't even know it has a problem.

Thought i should explain how it started. was driving the car to go and pick up a friend. was sitting out the front of the house with the air-conditioner running [ car was running Beautiful at this stage ] than all of a sudden it just idled down and started missing. From there on in, there has been very bad *****'s while im driving it.

Hi everyone, Problem solved. :clap: Thank's Sunsett. thank's for the help everyone. pulled the firs't spark plug lead off, and it was all white and had big holes in it. car runs beautiful all the time now. :D

Glad you have fixed the problem. Check the basics first. VT Commodore would do it as well and the problem started at about 90km/h or up hill when there was a bit of a load.