Camry Central Locking Remote and Key Questions

lockwood16

Hi, My parents have 1998 Camry. The Central Locking Remote has a flat battery and wont unlock the doors. The key works ok. They have been told by their local dealer that they need a new one. It is a sealed unit. Quoted $90. Has anyone replaced the battery in one of these?

Also one of the keys has a battery in it. What is this for? Maybe another problem down the track to sort if it goes flat.

$90 for pensioners is alot of money.

I have a 2001 Camry and after 10 years the remote battery went flat...Got one from local dealer for $55(Programmed)... After opening up the old one I considered it money well spent..

Edited by Topdog

I have a 1999 Camry, and my remote went dead within 1 year of buying the vehicle s/hand in 2010. Went to local Auto Electrician who had one in stock, and he also programmed the remote for $52. The remotes are throw aways. $90 sounds too much.

• 1 month later...

i replaced mine for under $50 last year if your in sydney try peter warren, don't go to the service department go to spare parts and they will program it for free. take the car with you.

I've got an Australian December 2000 Gen4 MCV20R V6 Camry sedan. I have two remotes that came with the car. It has a single button to lock/unlock the car. I've replaced the battery myself in both units but to do it you need to be a tech or you need to find a tech who will do it for you. It's a matter of levering the back off the remote and unsoldering the battery. If it's voltage is 3.1 volts or less then chuck it. The battery is a CR2032. The Energizer ones from the normal battery shops need two short thin wires, +ve and -ve soldered to it without heating the battery too much and that is then soldered onto the circuit board. That's all I'll say about how to do it because you need to know what you are doing.

Having said all that, if I get a new one how do I program the thing? Toyota has them but I'm blowed if I'll pay a Toyota tech to toggle a few things to program the car. Surely someone knows? I understand that the remote has a unique code already programmed into it and you actually program the car to accept it. It's not the remote you are programming but the security system in the car itself. I think you can link 4 individual remotes with the car. I've trolled through the forums and haven't really found a technique I could rely on. There seems to be many different ways for different Camrys.

I tried a new remote from the locksmiths and he assured me that the remote was the correct one. It came with an instruction sheet on how to do it but I couldn't get the car to respond the way it said so I gave it back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Talbit

• 2 months later...

Talbit toggle the ignition on and off 3 times leaving it in with the reds on then hold down the button on the remote and it should work.