loud knocking from engine

G,day all, Just finished replacing my leads, distributor cap, rotor and coil on my 2L 89 Camry sv21 3s-fe, already did the plugs a few weeks ago. Fired the old girl up only to hear a loud mechanical knocking noise from the top end which mirrors the RPM's. I have a reco 3s-fe motor which has done 60000km and there was no noise before carrying out the work. While re-installing the dizzy which i'd cleaned my markings off (idiot me!) i relised i was trying to install it 180 degees out of wack with a light tapping of a hammer, before spinning it 180 and installing corectly. Hopfully thats not the cause of my troubles. I've tried advancing and retarding the timing with no change. Iv'e taken the valve cover off and cann't see any obvious signs of damage to the dizzy or camshafts. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers!

Is the idle ruff or smooth? Do these run a V/A hose?

Get #1 piston TDC, look @ your dizzy check what lead goes to #1 piston then have your rotor button just about to fire on it. You will get the rest with turning.

It sounds like your still a few degrees out?

It's unusual to have a "knock" sound from the top end ...massive pre ignition?....I hate advising on this sort of stuff..... if your unsure get some one who know's to have a look.

I wouldnt think the knocking could have any damage... unless you reved the sh!tter out of it for a while, which it shouldnt do if it was that far out.