2003 Corolla Ascent Keyless entry problems

Hi all, I have been searching the net for days trying to find out how to get my wife's 03 Corolla Ascent keyless entry working. The old FOB lights up but has been intermittent in work after the button broke and I did a tiny solder joint to fix it.. I replaced it with a new FOB and have been unable to programme the new FOB (Teardrop Style) following the instructions from the net and the store I bought it from. I even took it to oldmac Toyota at Springwood and the guy tried the same thing I did for programming it and the indicators would not flash hence the car would not go into programming mode. He told me that I would need to book in the car and most likely replace the keyless entry module.

I would like to know where this module is and is there anyone out there that has replaced or fixed this type of thing before?

I'd appreciated any advice right now as my head is spinning at why this is not working and for $130 to just diagnose the fault its more worthwile to buy a new keyless entry setup and have it installed?

Couple of things to try.

With the drivers dooor open, insert the key into the ignition, does the car start beeping to let you know that the key is in the ignition? if no this will stop you from getting it in programming mode.

Does the car also beep at you if you don't have your seat belt on? I'm not sure if this model is supposed to but this can cause issues.

Does the interior light work?

Are you using a Master key ( black key) to put it in program more?

And what method are you trying, a few times I have found that the method listed to program the remotes does not work so I try one for another model and that does work.

The method I have listed:

1. drivers door open on key in ignition

2. lock door with existing remote

3. unlock door with existing remote

4. insert key in ignition ( master key)

5. turn from OFF to ON 20 times leaving in OFF ( within 20 seconds)

6. indicators should flash 20 times

7.on 20th flash press button once on each remote

8. turn key on to exit programming.

See how you go.

Hi mr2,

Yes the car does beep if the key is in the ignition and the door is open. The interior lights do work and no the car has never beeped if the seat belt is not on when runing the car. I am also using the black key.

I have tried the 20 times method, so did the dealer. I have tried the key in the ignition twice remove, close open door twice and key ignition once open close doors config as well.

The old remote flashes but does not work on the system anymore. replaced batteries and as I said earlier soldered the button back down after it became loose inside. Checked all fuses and the car does work perfectly without it however I would like to know where the keyless entry module is in the car and are there any other options to try before taking it to the dealer which is cost $130 per hour to fault find plus parts.

I also assume the 20 times method is off to on then back to off is counted as 1 then off to on and back again is 2?

Where did you get your remote from, some of them from ebay are on a different frequency than what we use here in Australia. I know that this isn't the issue though as the car isn't even going into program mode.

I can't work out how to post the PDFs here so I have put them in an album, have a look and try of these, hopefully they get you sorted.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/album/1468

Mr Mint... Its exactly the same FOB.. I pulled both apart and both are the same design and even same codes on the PCB.. I'll try the 2nd pdf again as I don't have a functional transmitter (FOB) but I would like to confim that the 20 off to on is as follows count one is OFF to ON then back to OFF, count too is from OFF to ON and back to OFF.. or are we counting like OFF to ON is 1 then from ON to OFF is 2?

Thanks again

You have 20 seconds to do all 20, so it should from OFF to ON and back to OFF in 1 second. The car should beep as soon as you turn it to ON, so go straight to OFF and repeat for all 20.

Hi mr2 I'll give it another go. I am sure I have done it in 20 seconds and so did the dealer..but hey whats another effort :) If no luck I assume I am off to the dealer to trace out if the keyless module in the car has died.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

the control unit for remote locking ( with teardrop fob ) is located in either the pasenger or driver kick panel or close to it.

From memory I think it was in the drivers side one.

It is a black box about 100 x 100 x 30 mm

I have instructions at home and will try and find them.

Edited by stockstivo