Toyota or after-market Sat Nav for Kluger

whitey3

So I just had one of those 10 inch android 4.4 units installed in my 2010 Kluger Grande.

Link to Unit

It was mostly a smooth install only encountering a significant problem when it was all wired up and ready to install for testing. The units mounting holes for the factory cradle didn't match the original. So when you tried to fit the unit into the dash it was out by around 10mm in two directions. After a few attempts of drilling out the holes in the cradle I got in to sit 99% okay (close enough).

The actual operation of the unit has been rather impressive. The touch controls are very responsive and the screen quality is more than sufficient for it's purpose (visible enough in direct sunlight). The steering wheel controls were recognised and worked flawlessly.

I do recommend the upgrade but I must also state that the unit is extremely light. So I suspect the built in amplifier is somewhat useless. I can't confirm this though as I installed a 5 channel amp and all new speakers (not that I would class the original parts as speakers) at the same time.

Would love to seem some pics if you get a chance please. Also with such a large screen does it auto dim at night (i.e when headlights turned on etc), and is it dim enough not be distracting?

Thanks

It does dim a little when you put the lights on. But it depends on what app you're in to be able to answer your question.

Didn't try the navigation program (iGo is the one it came with), but I think it just changes to a darker colour palette.

But just like your android phone, you can change the brightness level.

I'll try and remember to put up some photos in the next day or two.

It does dim a little when you put the lights on. But it depends on what app you're in to be able to answer your question.

Didn't try the navigation program (iGo is the one it came with), but I think it just changes to a darker colour palette.

But just like your android phone, you can change the brightness level.

I'll try and remember to put up some photos in the next day or two.

Thanks

Not the best quality, but they should be good enough.

Please note that the dash panels haven't been clicked back in place because I'm hoping the hazard switch assembly will arrive soon and I'll need to pull it all out again to install that. But you can see how the top right edge of the unit doesn't sit flush with the dash, this is the good enough part of the install when I needed to redrill the mounting holes in the factory cradle to suit the incorrectly placed holes in the head unit.

First pic is the pre-installed Navigation software, iGo.

post-38009-0-70953900-1429135587_thumb.j

Second is the music player I currently use, PowerAmp. This player has an amazing equalizer which really comes in handy in a situation like this.

post-38009-0-27246600-1429135597_thumb.j

Third is the home screen with a PowerAmp widget.

post-38009-0-29663500-1429135605_thumb.j

Fourth is the notification pull down screen.

post-38009-0-68875700-1429135614_thumb.j

This is the steering wheel controls screen where you assign buttons to their commands.

So you can make any button (related to the stereo) do any of the shown actions.

post-38009-0-43430400-1429135624_thumb.j

This is the built in 'Amplifier' screen, which is just a crappy equalizer and the balancing (front/rear, left/right fading).

post-38009-0-60134600-1429135634_thumb.j

This shows part of the settings screen.

post-38009-0-55513600-1429135644_thumb.j

If anyone wants to see anything specific just ask and I'll see what I can do.

Not the best quality, but they should be good enough.

Please note that the dash panels haven't been clicked back in place because I'm hoping the hazard switch assembly will arrive soon and I'll need to pull it all out again to install that. But you can see how the top right edge of the unit doesn't sit flush with the dash, this is the good enough part of the install when I needed to redrill the mounting holes in the factory cradle to suit the incorrectly placed holes in the head unit.

First pic is the pre-installed Navigation software, iGo.

attachicon.gifIMAG1063.jpg

Second is the music player I currently use, PowerAmp. This player has an amazing equalizer which really comes in handy in a situation like this.

attachicon.gifIMAG1064.jpg

Third is the home screen with a PowerAmp widget.

attachicon.gifIMAG1066.jpg

Fourth is the notification pull down screen.

attachicon.gifIMAG1068.jpg

This is the steering wheel controls screen where you assign buttons to their commands.

So you can make any button (related to the stereo) do any of the shown actions.

attachicon.gifIMAG1069.jpg

This is the built in 'Amplifier' screen, which is just a crappy equalizer and the balancing (front/rear, left/right fading).

attachicon.gifIMAG1070.jpg

This shows part of the settings screen.

attachicon.gifIMAG1071.jpg

If anyone wants to see anything specific just ask and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for that, looks great!! Could I check one more thing please....if you turn the unit on by just turning the key to accessory but not starting engine and letting the unit fully boot up, does it then do a full reboot if you were later to start the car or does it stay on while starting? It seems alot of these units do a full reboot everytime the engine is started, even if they were already booted up in the accessory position. Hope its clear what I mean :)

No, turning the unit 'off' while the car is running doesn't seem to actually kill power to the unit, it appears to only puts it into standby.

Similar happens when starting the car after listening to it on Accessories. It does say 'Powering Off', but as soon as it's gone it pops right back on.

So your music would be interrupted, but only for a moment.

When I shut off the car while I have the music player open (PowerAmp in this case), then later when I start the car again, it remembers what app I was in and also where in a song you were, then you just have to click play to resume where you left off.