What is the power output of the 2012 HL Camry Hybrid

GA Camry Hybrid

I just bought the 2012 Hybrid Camry HL. Very nice car for the dollars. Economy and power is amazing. cruising in the local CBd at 5.9 Lt/100 easily. Good value for money and an excellent starting point to the EV.

I am a bit confused on what the power of the vehicle is. I am gettting contradicting reports. Can someone confirm the engine KW and electric engine KW and do they make a combined output working at the same time? Also does anyone know where I can download the workshop manual for this car?

I think there may be a typo on the Toyota website where they specify the petrol engine as 151kW, the electric motor as 118kW, and the combined output as 151kW.

From all my research, I have found the following specs:

Petrol engine: 118kW

Electric motor: 105kW

Combined maximum: 151kW

You will find that you don't just add the petrol engine power to the electric motor to get a combined figure because the electric motor has different power curve when compared to the petrol engine. In other words, the petrol engine produces maximum power at 5,700RPM whereas the electric motor does so at 4,500RPM. As for the torque, the petrol engine produces its maximum at 4,500RPM and the electric motor does so between 1,000 to 1,500 RPM.

You will find that you don't just add the petrol engine power to the electric motor to get a combined figure because the electric motor has different power curve when compared to the petrol engine. In other words, the petrol engine produces maximum power at 5,700RPM whereas the electric motor does so at 4,500RPM. As for the torque, the petrol engine produces its maximum at 4,500RPM and the electric motor does so between 1,000 to 1,500 RPM.

The max power has to be when the max eletric power cuts over to the petrol. So if the your figures are correct immediate after 4500rpm. At the cutover the power from the electric (105KW) would have to be added to 46KWs of the petrol power to make 151Kws.

Question is, is it always the case of electric first then petrol after certain rev?

I fanged a 2010 Hybrid before and thought it was very weak and laggy. Not sure if the actual power is when you drive on the highway but from short sprints i didn't feel 151Kws.

The max power has to be when the max eletric power cuts over to the petrol. So if the your figures are correct immediate after 4500rpm. At the cutover the power from the electric (105KW) would have to be added to 46KWs of the petrol power to make 151Kws.

Not entirely the case. Just because the electric motor is capable of providing 105kW at 4,500RPM, does not necessarily mean that at 4,500RPM it is going to be supplying all that power. It may possibly be the case depending on the given situation, but it could also be a case of the petrol engine supplying 80% of the power and the electric motor supplementing it with 20%. It all depends on the situation at hand but I think you will find that at 4,500RPM, most of the power would be supplied by the petrol engine rather than the electric motor. Remember, the electric component of the Hybrid Synergy Drive consists of both a motor and generator pair. During acceleration, the petrol engine can not only supply power directly to the wheels but can also provide power to the generator which in turn provides power to the electric motor in tandem with the battery. Therefore the a percentage of the net power produced by the petrol engine may form part of the electric motor's power. The result of this would mean that the maximum combined power could be over a larger rev range and not just a single point.

I thought the petrol component cuts in after a certain rev/speed? If so at the start you'd only be using the electric compoment. If the maximun combined power is not at a single poing in time, how would the power/torque look like?

I thought the petrol component cuts in after a certain rev/speed? If so at the start you'd only be using the electric compoment. If the maximun combined power is not at a single poing in time, how would the power/torque look like?

The petrol engine can start at any time. If you are at a standstill and put your foot down immediately, the engine will start up immediately and both will work towards accelerating the car.

I can't really comment about the power torque curve. It's all a bunch of guestimations without seeing an actual dyno graph. The variable nature of the HSD can probably make a difference to it all as well. To get some type of idea, here is a dyno of a Prius. You can see how the power down at the wheels stays around the same level even though the speed varies.

MWP_Prius_Dyno_Screen.jpg

I think there may be a typo on the Toyota website where they specify the petrol engine as 151kW, the electric motor as 118kW, and the combined output as 151kW.

From all my research, I have found the following specs:

Petrol engine: 118kW

Electric motor: 105kW

Combined maximum: 151kW

That's correct and what is shown on the brochure: 118kW/213Nm and 105kW/270Nm, Combined maximum output 151kW