Camry road trip 6000ks - advice

psychoacid

Hello everyone,

I bought a used 1998 Camry Conquest V6 Auto 2 weeks ago which I had issues with headlight on my last post.

The headlight issues had been rectified.

I am planning to take this car for a long road trip of 6000-7000ks in 2 months time and it will be doing on road only.

The car timing belt has been replaced at 110,000ks (it has 186,000ks now). Oil changed late Feb 2012 but rarely driven. Checked the oil and it still golden in colour. I had replaced all 4 tires to brand new Pirelli P1s few days ago.

Any advice if this car suitable for this long road trip?

- I will get a third party insurance + premium membership NRMA assist

- Will get an engine oil changed before trip. check every fluids and waters.

Anything else I should be aware of in preparing for this long trip? How reliable the Camry will be for this occasion? Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Btw, I've tried 10,000ks road trip on my old 98 Nissan Pulsar SSS and it goes very well. Did once oil service halfway, 2 little crack on windscreen caused by stones but DIY repaired (using DIY kit from supercheap), 2 burned H4 bulb. Personally I prefer Camry since its more comfortable than Pulsar.

Thanks

You said the oil still looks golden, up to you whether to change it but I would, since you're doing a 6000-7000kms road trip anyway.

A part from tire pressures, might pay to check the rotors and brake pads to see if they require changing. Carry extra oil, radiator fluid and tools with you just in case.

The camry (as most other cars), would be fine for the trip if it's looked after. :)

A part from tire pressures, might pay to check the rotors and brake pads to see if they require changing. Carry extra oil, radiator fluid and tools with you just in case.

Good idea. I noticed when I start the car during cold, the brake doesnt work well. But once warmed up, it works very well. Does anyone experience that before?

Sigh...my audio head unit suddenly no sound just now after taking a corner. Have to recheck the wiring again. :(

Did you get a wheel alignment when you got the new tyres? If not it would be a good idea to get that done.

Yeah. But after taking back the car, the steering still looking slightly right when the car going straight. I will have to bring it back to Bob Jane and tell them about it. They mentioned to me that the bolt on the rear seized but I thought the alignment should be the front and not the rear wheel. Does the rear wheel affect alignment too?

Did you get a wheel alignment when you got the new tyres? If not it would be a good idea to get that done.

Yeah. But after taking back the car, the steering still looking slightly right when the car going straight. I will have to bring it back to Bob Jane and tell them about it. They mentioned to me that the bolt on the rear seized but I thought the alignment should be the front and not the rear wheel. Does the rear wheel affect alignment too?

Camry is a four wheel alignment.

Take the vehicle back and ask them to fix the alignment. Everytime I have had a wheel alignment from Bob Jane, I have always ended up going back and asking them to correct the steering. They never seem to get it right even after a second attempt, therefore I now go to an independent shop who actually road tests the car after they have completed an alignment.

Place lightweight flyscreen wire over the grill area top to bottom to catch as many insects going through onto the radiator.

Wow...thanks Ozzcaddy!! This is good advice!!

Always used flyscreen wire on all my various makes of cars whenever I did a road trip, mainly Sydney to Adelaide via the Hay Plains.

By the way, the wire goes on the outside of the grill not inside the grill.

Edited by Ozzcaddy