Engine slight vibration @ 950 rpm.

11/16Aurion 12Kluger

I've got about 3300 k's on the KX-R now and ever since new it has had a slight engine vibration @ around 950 rpm.

Dealer had a look at it today and while they had no idea of what exactly would be causing it we did find that another new Kluger in the yard did exactly the same thing. I now assume they all do it, but why?

Anyone else here with the 2008 onwards 3.5L engine found the same thing? It does it when hot or cold.

It is most noticeable when in park or N and just hold the accelerator at that rpm. It feels like some vacuum device is delaying or hesitating right at that rpm.

I had a look at the US site Toyota Nation to see if any there had the same symptom with a Highlander but the closest I could find was an article dealing with a brake booster vacuum valve that they found to be defective on the 2008 plus models.

As the same motor is fitted to the Aurion, Rav4 and Tarago I might have a look in their threads for anything similar.

Hi Barney. Mine not sure at what Rpm. but it vibrate a little bit during idling. I can feel it either from the steering, pedal or gear stick. 800km on odo. apparently tyt claimed they had new engine mounting on the facelifted model but it seems worst.?? too new? lol

Hi Loon. It should not do that. At idle in N/P or D you can't tell the engine is running.

It might settle down when it is run in a little more. Report it when you take it back for the 1000k service so at least it is on record if you have trouble later on.

Hi barney, mine vibrates when cold when put into reverse and drive, but only when its cold, I think it does it at about 1500rpm when the auto choke on, but probadly not what yours is doing, I think mine normal though, sorry I couldnt be more help mate :) , I thought someone one this forum might know what was causing the problem, probadly you get it checked out at your 1000km service.

Thanks David... I could replicate it on any current model Kluger, no problem.

Mine now has 3300 k's.

The dealer actually noticed it at the 1000k service without me mentioning it. I took it back recently just for that to be looked at and while they did acknowlege it they had no idea of the cause.

When we found that a new Kluger in the yard also did the same thing it was placed under the good old relaible escape clause of "they all do it".

I have been frequenting the US site for Klugers (called Highlander over there) and their forum is a little more active than this one :-) heaps more owners over there.

Wander over, it is very interesting and Toyota USA seem to be less reluctant to pass information to their customers. Toyota Oz seem to treat vehicle information as a company secret to which you have no right.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-2nd-generation-2008-2012/

Sorry barney, I got you mixed up with loon, I should of read back a couple of threads, I wonder if loon will report back after his 1000km service how he got on with engine vibrating aswell, mine vibrating problem doesnt bother me, because I think its normal.

I have asked dealerships in the past about different problems and they reckon they have never heard of the problem, but you read treads on the forum to find out its a common problem, so it makes you think somtimes that our dealers like to keep us in the dark.

Hi Barney & David

I haven't got time for the first 1000km service. Engine vibrating as David mentioned only during cold starts so no big deal on that. As for Barney's case at 950rpm, mine behave the same too. I went to dealer and tried out a pre-facelift KX-S it does vibrate a little bit more at 950rpm but hardly notice it. If you pay attention closely you can hear something rattling at 950rpm for the used KX-S. I reckon the culprit is the so called updated/upgraded engine mounting.

@David did you try yours at 950rpm?

Hi loon I try and see if it does or not, I drove a new up date model kluger it was a kxr and you can tell the difference, the engine idles and runs smoother than mine when cold and warm , it does vibrate like you said when cold, but not quiet as much as mine.

I think Im pretty sure the new facelifted models have better engine mounts, so thats probadly why the later ones run a bit smother than mine, does anyone want to swap a their facelifted model with me :lol: , I love the new facelift on the kluger they look great, I sat in a grande and boy their flash, I love the tailgate lifter and pushbutton start , no fumbling for keys and the rear dvd screen, ahwell cant have everything I quess.

Hi loon, I tried mine this morning and it has the vibration at around 950rpm, its only a little rumble , but yeah you can feel a slight vibration at that paticular revs, as for the rattle did the kluger you test drove was the engine cold or was it warm, mine has slight lifter noise , sort of a slight rattle but I think its at a slightly higher revs when the auto choke on, my old prado I think use have a slight vibration around 950rpm or similar revs, I think its charistic of those vvti v6 engines, the prado had 200000kms on her when I sold her and the engine never missed a beat , so I dont think theres anything to worry about, I think its normal .

Hi Loon & David.

Mine shudders in reverse when cold... but I don't worry much about that as it is only for a short time. Soon as it is in D it is silky smooth.

As for the 950 "rumble" it seems like it is a characteristic of the 3.5v6. You would never notice it unless you were purposely trying to make it happen. It is a good motor, that is a proven fact, so not to worry.

Cheers... :-)

Hi David, ya the pre-facelift it's only little rumble. the updated version more 'violent' :( . As for the KXS I didn't drive it. I start the engine and waited for 15minutes until the temperature reach almost to working temperature then I test the 950rpm. WHen engine too cold the rpm stay above 1k mark i can't do anything. I guess it's normal for the 950vibrator. :o

Yeah barney your right mate, the only time I that it was bought to my attention, when I read this thread, I never really noticed it before and probadly wouldnt even known it would of done it until I tried it at those particular revs, but yeah nothing to worry about, but theres no harm in asking, its better to be safe than sorry :) .

Hi David, ya the pre-facelift it's only little rumble. the updated version more 'violent' :( . As for the KXS I didn't drive it. I start the engine and waited for 15minutes until the temperature reach almost to working temperature then I test the 950rpm. WHen engine too cold the rpm stay above 1k mark i can't do anything. I guess it's normal for the 950vibrator. :o

when I test drove the updated model kluger I didnt see if it vibrated at 950rpm, at that time I wasnt aware that the klugers did it, but I reckon the updated model the engine was smother and slightly quieter, but it could be my imagination, because its new and a new car, it didnt have my cold dash rattle, loon if the vibration is too violent, I would get the problem looked at, it might only be because the engine is new and tight, but it might be somthing needing adjusting,I admit there pretty reliable engines but still get them to look at it for your peace of mind mate.

At least mention it so it is on record.

That 950 rumble is more noticeable when cold because while you are waiting a couple of minutes for it to settle down it will pass through the 950rpm range.

That US site is good value. Having a lot more on the road helps for more feedback. The only real thing I noticed of any importance was what oil to use. Most have found that 10-30 is the go.

I wonder what the dealers will put in?... pointless asking them as most would not know nor care.

Whatever they use it is their responibility if it does not do it's job.

In the US the owner is allowed to do their own oil / filter change and it does not affect their warranty. They have to keep receipts for the consumables as prooof. I wish we could do the same here. Every new car I have ever owned has been messed up by a dealership.

It is ironic... Toyota Australia do not trust us to do our own oil change but they do trust a teen age apprentice who usually could not give a schmick!!! :-( Such is life LOL.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

Barney I couldnt agree with you more mate, I one of these people who change there oil every 5000km or six months and drain it out when hot not cold like mostly the dealers do, we are spending im quessing beetween$ 20000 and $70000 on a car so where not going to jebadize our warranty for poor quality oil and filters, sure there might be the odd person who might do this but as a whole there wouldnt be too many and if you could show them the receipts that would stop any arguements when you need a warranty claim, I reckon on every car I have bought I have been bent over, I reckon I need resleeve, because I couldnt get reemed any more, I sick to death of brocken promises and lies, dont get me wrong I have had great service and work, but also I had my share of shonkey stuff aswell, anyone protects these lying scumbags are either trolls or one of these dingbats.

Barney I have been using 10w 30 in the kluger and in my old prado no problems with it what so ever.

It is not difficult to pick a car that has not had regular oil changes and used good oil David... :-)

Stamps in a book mean bugger all to me.

The car I traded in on the Kluger, an 07 Camry, they only asked if I had the log books and not if it had service history recorded, which it did. When I handed them the log books on pickup day they did not even look in them.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

I admit I one of those people who like to see if the service book has been stamped on each required service, its not that hard just to stamp the book and not have the services carried out, most times you can tell if the car has been well maintained or not ,but there is some shonkey people, including car dealers that can make a car look like a million bucks,but the poor car probdly never seen a dealer or been serviced in its life, they can change all the fluids and give the engine a good flush and no ones the wiser, each car I have traded they have looked at the book or have asked if it had service book with it, but I quess its the luck of the draw.