ZRE ASCENT + Conquest steering wheel/Audio Controls + Cruise

Hey guys,

a mate of mine has totalled his ZRE conquest and i've got the chance to claim;

leather steering wheel with audio buttons + airbag

cruise control stalk.

round switch

Will i come into problems by fitting this to my Ascent which does not have cruise / audio buttons as standard?

I guess the big Question is, does the Australian Corolla have the necessary components/wiring pre installed like say, the UK Auris does?

Anything else i should watch out for?

Ok so this morning i installed the new wheel/airbag/round switch.

Pleased to confirm that all required wiring/modules for media buttons and cruise control are pre loaded into the Australian model 2008 Corolla Ascent.

I'm assuming that this would be the same for all year models and hatch/sedan variants.

So if you are one of the people with a Corolla Ascent and you did not opt for the cruise pack. Then what you need is;

Steeringwheel (with media buttons)

Airbag to suit

and last but not least, round switch that matches. (Otherwise known as clock spring)

Thats it.....

I was lucky enough to get mine from a mates totalled Corolla, but after speaking to a few wreckers recently, you should be able to pick all the appropriate parts up second hand anywhere between $200-$300.

Installation took about 30minutes. If anyone is interested in persuing this i will do a write up and try to include some pics at a later stage when im not at work.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hey man thats cool im after a write up. i have a 09 ascent rolla and i bought the steering wheel controls but found out that the ascent steering wheel horn cover takes up the spot where the buttons go. i was thinking about cutting it and wiring it up myself.

i have seen on the net the cruise control switch but wasnt sure if i buy it it has the plug for it underneath the horn

• 3 weeks later...

I took my corolla ZRE 152 hatch automatic to a wrecker and got the Camry Steering wheel with Cruise control and Audio installed for $700 including labour and all parts. It included used steering wheel from Camry, a new SRS genuine camry airbag and a used clock spring.

Installation took around one hour, removing old steering, aligning the wheel and putting in a new steering. Putting in a clock spring is a little tricky as it involves turning two and half times counter clockwise and again clockwise.

I got this installed in August 2010 and still working fine without any problems. Saved myself $800. Dealers charge $1,500 for cruise pack which I think is a rip off. If you are very comfortable in removing the steering wheel; you can buy the OEM Cruise Stalk on ebay and just plug and play. there is already an existing slot to put the cruise stalk in the steering wheel and comes with pre-existing wiring. Once you plug and play the cruise wire; cruise LED light lights up automatically in the dash.

I took my corolla ZRE 152 hatch automatic to a wrecker and got the Camry Steering wheel with Cruise control and Audio installed for $700 including labour and all parts. It included used steering wheel from Camry, a new SRS genuine camry airbag and a used clock spring.

Installation took around one hour, removing old steering, aligning the wheel and putting in a new steering. Putting in a clock spring is a little tricky as it involves turning two and half times counter clockwise and again clockwise.

I got this installed in August 2010 and still working fine without any problems. Saved myself $800. Dealers charge $1,500 for cruise pack which I think is a rip off. If you are very comfortable in removing the steering wheel; you can buy the OEM Cruise Stalk on ebay and just plug and play. there is already an existing slot to put the cruise stalk in the steering wheel and comes with pre-existing wiring. Once you plug and play the cruise wire; cruise LED light lights up automatically in the dash.

i heard that the aussie ascent hasnt got the plugs for the cruise stalk. i wanna buy the stick of the net but not sure if i should

i heard that the aussie ascent hasnt got the plugs for the cruise stalk. i wanna buy the stick of the net but not sure if i should

ok im buying it now lol

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update

another member and i attempted this, (just for the cruise control option though)

preface ascent versions of the zre doesnt seem to come prewired so i dont think this will work.

facelift ascent versions comes prewired, and its just a simple plug and play as per above comments, and a side cover for the fussy ones.

Pics to come. (for facelift)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

just installed a VDO cruise control to my ZRE152 2008 model on the weekend. works great.

I got the cruise control from http://www.airco.com.au/

got it for about $460 including delivery. the model i got was a 412.140 and took a little over an hour to install but could be installed alot faster.

Edited by noelofvan