Interested in chipping and cai-ing my sportivo..

ive been looking around for a good cai that would fit on the sportivo and AEM seems to make the best ones on the market but im not sure if they have specific ones for the sportivo as aem is a US make :P Could anyone tell me the model to ask for and a good price to pay for it?

im also interested in chipping the car.. what are the recommended chips and prices to look out for? do you send your car in to have it tuned up by a performance mech?

TRD I would totaly disagree with you regarding the chip unless you have one you cannot comment. I have one fitted to the car and I KNOW its worth it. Stewart (ILIV46) would agree since he has driven my car and is now itching to get one.

Approx $470 is correct for CAI and worth it. There is a few tricks to install it correctly though. I have installed 3 of them, but changed the Filter to a diffrent type which fits better due to the front spotlight.

Right on the money re the Unichip.

Enny what state are you in. I have a supplier that you can get the CAI from who is reliable.

And Torque is what the Unichip gave Peekay's car. On the torque graph on the dyno chart it is now putting out more torque at 3500rpm than stock does max. And the throttle response is awesome. Just blip the throttle and it takes off.

I have driven a lot of S200's and drive my brothers Type R all the time and I can say with 100% confidence his car now pulls harder than them.

I drove his car Friday night and WOW! Doing a 100 on the ring road in fourth I put the foot down and it really pulled hard, like you are in 2nd doing 40-50 and put your foot down.

On a section of on-ramp onto the ring road the best in my stivo I can do to a certain point is about 125kmph, in my brothers Type R about 133-134kph, in Peekays Friday night was over 140kphr and I lifted off just before the same point in the road. It was really moving.

Most chips and stuff I do not like but I have now had Unichip on 2 cars, 1 turbo, 1 NA and on both was fantastic. Now after driving Peekay's with it installed, I love the product - if it is tuned properly.

My opinion is from personal experience with this product and having tried others before I used Unichip. I am putting it on mine as soon as can be afforded. $1200 is nothing compared to how it has transformed the way Peekay's Stivo now Drives.

Cheers

I would not even compare Powerchip to Unichip. I too have had one of those and it was a waste of money they do not tune the powerchip to your car they only piggy back it then give it back to you untuned. Unichip tunes it to your car so again no comparison. Each car differs how can you expect to work on your car if it is not tuned properly. At no stage does powerchip put your car on a Dyno ..they don't even own one.

i have owned a powerchip and it only cause problems for me

so i have stayed away from after market and piggy back setups

so there Peekay34 i can comment - though i have to agree it varies from car to car

Powerchip are a bunch of thiefs. My opinion is they are the worst business in the car modification industry. Have had nothing but bad expereince with them and Peekay I know is the same, they did nothing but cause him troubles.

2 Unichips later and nothing but great expereince, and many of my friends after driving my cars went out and installed them and again nothing but praise.

Do not form an opinion on unichip just because of powerchip. Two completely different products and company's and very different ethical standards.

I just hate seeing the crap end of the market give good product and campany's a bad name!

soo.. tell me more about this unichip.. do you get it locally or off ebay and somone will tune it up for you?

Unichip is imported into Australia by Air Power Systems (these guys are famouse for their wrx, nissan 240sx and falcon xr6 turbo upgrades and get a lot ofreviews in Motor & Wheels magazines).

They have a small group of distributors who sell, install and tune the Unichip. Air Power Systems reject a lot of workshops who want to sell Unichip so as a rule generally most the shops with it are quite good. These places also have to send their mechanics/installers to do a course at air power systems on the Unichip. If they pass they get it if they fail they do not get to sell it.

This is how it was when the place I was working with applied for a Unichip License 2 years ago.

The Unichip itself is actually a piggyback unit that sits between the ECU and engine that intercepts the ECU signals and optimises them for your car. This is done by a couple hours of dyno tuning and with the better tuners then a couple hours of fine tuning on the road. Generally it gets tuned for approx every 100rpm - 200rpm in your rev range and approx 12-16 levels of accelerator depression.

With a bad tune you don't really notice any difference but with a good tune your car gets a completely different personality. And if the car is already modded it's even better.

As a rule you gain around 5% - 10% kw but the big gains are in Torque and throttle respone.

If you look a lot of the Targa Tasmania, Porsche Cup and nation cup cars they run Unichips.

I just have luved my cars that have had it done. They just became so much better to drive!!

Cheers

Yep, i agree the UNICHIP would make a difference, especially in conjunction with other mods. Like Peekay's, he has extractors and CAI so the UNICHIP would fine tune everything and give the best possible output and driveability. Driveability is the key because the tuners can tune the car so that it makes power and torque high up in the rev range but with the 2ZZ-GE, i think most owners would much prefer more torque lower in the rev range :D .

Hey Peekay and Ilivfor6, do you know if Croydon Autosports at Silverwater still does UNICHIPS? Or would you be able to recommend a tuner? I live in Shellharbour, the nearest would be Wollongong or Sydney. Thanks!

ZEE

Yep, i agree the UNICHIP would make a difference, especially in conjunction with other mods. Like Peekay's, he has extractors and CAI so the UNICHIP would fine tune everything and give the best possible output and driveability. Driveability is the key because the tuners can tune the car so that it makes power and torque high up in the rev range but with the 2ZZ-GE, i think most owners would much prefer more torque lower in the rev range :D .

Hey Peekay and Ilivfor6, do you know if Croydon Autosports at Silverwater still does UNICHIPS? Or would you be able to recommend a tuner? I live in Shellharbour, the nearest would be Wollongong or Sydney. Thanks!

ZEE

Just call air power systems (get the number from their WWW)

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/

Ask them to recommend an installer or if there is one in your area. Never really on distributor addresses on the web most of the time its not very current. Best to ask!