mods cause loss low end power

perthcamry

Hey guys, just to let you know that now I have a K&N air filter and Sportivo muffler I have noticed loss of low down power but more up the top end. :rolleyes:

I am keen still on the Unichip to hopefully fix up the problem as I have now changed the breathing of the engine. So its a bit of a warning that if you modify things other things may change because of it :P

I am getting wheels late this week or early next week. Many visitors at the moment from the east who are being toured oround Perth in a Camry :P

.... so I have not had time to get pics or post sound, but it will happen soon....... :D

hey guys,

yeah i felt the same as well when i added TRD flat panel filter and sportivo muffler.

Low end no power watsoeva but when VVTI kicks in bout 3500 it power the car greatly.

yeah gonna get me sum 18" wheels soon.

hi guys,

whats the TRD flat panel? i wanna do some mods to my sportivo as well.. but yeah.. dont realy know much about mods hay. im a noob :( i got 1 million colour underbody neons though.. :D

Hi and welcome to Aussie Toyota Forum

TRD flat panel is the sports air filter that goes directlyin your stock airbox

you can grab one @ penrith toyota they sell alot of TRD stuff.

Got it for bout $100 or so dollors cant reme exactly.

Following my loss of power thing I did an ECU reset (4 min with the negative terminal off the battery) and put a fuel pill in (catalyst type), I got a free trial one from a distributor to try. B)

The main thing is the ECU reset has returned bottom end power and its now smoother and quieter. :P

Maybe toyota should do that when they install a Sportivo muffler. :unsure:

thanx for the welcome guys,

so the Flat panel, TRD or K&N which is better? whats the DIfferences... im in brisbane BTW, would u guys konw where i'd be able to find one? is that with install? ($100) coz im a noob with engine mods. and what is a CAI? im so noob hay.. ><

thanx guys

from what i heard, the K&N filter has better filtering system & airflow. im not sure about the TRD filter. **IM GUESSING** the TRD should have greater airflow then the K&N but might not that clean when it comes to filtering, then again im only guessing! :P

if i were you ill get K&N :)

Update on my lack of low end pull...... After resting of my computer its back to where it started with a lack of low end power and a mammoth (for 4cyl standards) kick up in the upper rev range when pushed. :huh:

I think the Unichip will fix this problem by remapping the fuel curve, what do you think?

The computer seems confused. :unsure:

yeah UNICHIP should do that for ya!  :)

but have you try any other companies??? coz i reckon $1300 is abit too much for 4kw+ gain.  :blink:

this might sound abit stupid but dont HALTECH make them too?  :unsure:

Ummm they are the same price :( . I guess its drivability and fuel consumption will improve :)

the TRD/ K&N Air Filter will not give you any HP gain! they will gives you more air & much cleaner into the intake.

The TRD & K&N are so much better for the car in the long term. The Stock filter doesnt really do their job properly.

well i dont know about it cleaning better :rolleyes:

this guy did a comparsion test:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

pretty much the conclusion is, yes they give better flow but have less filtration...

kinda common sense wouldnt you think :lol:

having less filtration isnt going to kill your car, it wont affect it much (if at all), so its probably nothing to worry about ;)

That test was quite interesting. After all the research, sorta made me want to install a K&N air intake kit or somethign along those lines. Do you guys know much about it? the K&N home page states guaranteed power increase. Thought that was promising. Wat do you guys reckon? Btw, If i installed that to my Camry sportivo, would that void my air filter warranty or anything? Would u guys know who would install this sorta stuff?

Im still in at the learning stages :) Thanx guys

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I am a newbie in mods. I am thinking of changing my Camry Altise 03 (2.4L) air panel filter. I heard and have been reading the forum that the K&N fliters are the best. Do you know which air panel filter model should I be getting for my Camry? Thanks.

:D