Lowering Springs

chris1991119

Hi guys,

After sticking on 17" rims on my celica, I want to get some lowering springs to make it a bit lower. So I found some lowering springs on ebay,

link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/00-05-TOYOTA-CELICA-GT-GTS-DNA-FRONT-REAR-0-3-COILOVER-SPRING-KIT-JDM-RED-/170908729155?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27caf43f43

So my problem is that I have never used lowering springs before and therefore don't know if this will acutally fit my celica which has stock shock absorbers.

Any information based on lowering a car would be appreciated. Like needing to upgrade other parts if I get these particular lowering springs or any lowering springs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chris.

This is my personnal opinion, don't go for the coilovers on the inernet.

not only could they be wrong for your car, they can also be dangerous.

american/asian standards are different to australian and may not be up to code. plus (correct me if I'm wrong) the seem to be "no name" brands, stick with trusted brands and businesses.

a friend of mine baught a set of similar specs as this and the spring snapped while driving due to bad quality gear. buy yourself a set of king springs from supercheap auto or autobarn, or if you can afford more go full coilovers.

Hope this helps :)

And When it comes to installing them, if you go nothing but king springs you will need spring compressors and you need to know a little bit about struts, how they work and different types e.g. Leaf springs and Mcpherson struts.

Coilovers are (usually) a straight strut swap, out with the old in with the new. i suggest putting new shock absorbers in while you are there if you haven't done so since you have owned the car. generally speaking if the strut/spring is made for your type of car then it will fit with no other modifications.

If you go very low keep in mind the legal side of things for your ride height, if this doesn't worry you, you may need to roll the guards so your tires don't rub on the guards when driving or going over a bump.

cheers :)

• 1 month later...

Please do not get the ground effects coils. They will make the car handle like ****. If you want to lower the car you must be aware of the age of the shocks as they will now need to do the same job with less travel and old shocks make for a very boaty ride. If you want just do springs i would personally go with eibach for about 350 for all four springs and get some new shocks if you just want slightly better handling. You will also need a wheel alignment. I you want do to more think about braces and sway bars as they will greatly change the way the car acts and behaves.

Ultra racing make a few braces for the celica and they are cheap and decent quality.

Sway bars can be white line or hotchkins ones.