Sportivo jolting when taking off

Ever since I got the car, once in a while when i take off (doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm) the car would jolt a few times while travelling slowly, no matter how hard i plant my foot down. It is usually only a 1 or 2 second thing so I didn't think too much of it. Lately though, it's been occurring a lot more, up until before when I was leaving a pizza joint and it was doing it for about 5 seconds; long enough that I was turning to the side to see what was wrong. I just did an engine oil service a couple of days ago, and did gearbox oil, spark plugs and new clutch and flywheel within the last 10,000kms. Did a compression test too a week or two ago and the figures were good. Not sure if it's related but for the past few weeks I've been experiencing quite bad fuel mileage. I don't drive like a granny and I only briefly redline the car every few days but im getting only about 420-450kms a tank, compared to getting 550-600 usually under the same driving conditions. The car has also been backfiring a lot and probably every second or third time I crank the car, it doesnt start and I have to crank again for it to go.

I pretty much typed a whole essay, but for those of you who bothered reading all of that, any ideas on what the problem might be?

oh and I forgot to add that sometimes when I'm slowing down almost to a complete stop, whether in gear with the clutch all the way down or coasting in neutral, the engine shuts off and I have to start the car again. it doesn't stall because I don't feel the typical jolt when it stalls, it's a smooth transition and I don't realise until I try to take off again or I notice the usual lights come up on the cluster when the key is on "ON" but the engine isn't running

Ok.. Jolting.. Elaberate please.. Do you mean misfire ??... I'd check your coil and look at it for signs of it arcing to the head before it gets to the plug...

How many k's on your car?

No engine light?

Get someone to check your engine codes..

Duy: are you free any time today? I'm heading up to queenscliff early tomorrow morning and won't be back till thurs.

Prozak: I'm not too sure the car just jumps a few times. kind of like that feeling when you stall except its moving slowly. only hit a bit over 136,000k's and nah no engine codes