Coolant for Prius

delias

Hi everyone,

I got a second hand Prius recently (2003 July) and noted that the collant level was pretty low. I called Toyota and asked them if it was okay to put a coolant from the petrol station into it, because they were different colours (mine is pink, petrol station brand coolant is green). They suggested going to a Toyota dealer to get it serviced and drained completely, then put new Toyota coolant into it. Is this completely necessary? Seems to be an inordinate expense. First car, so apologies for the newbie question.

Cheers

delias

• 3 months later...

Red Coolant is better than Green Coolant.

It sounds like the dealer is trying to get you spend $$$ to flush out the coolant when it's not necessary.

If you go to Autobarn/Supercheap/Repco/Carbits you'll find it and you can simply top up the level. I believe Nulon now make the Red/Pink Coolant.

Cheers

dont mix them together, whatever u do! made up of different compounds so not good if mixed!

not terribly much difference between the two, but if your worried just flush the coolant yourself, its pretty easy...

park on the grass

wait for car to cool down

pull off bottom radiator hose

take radiator cap off to let it drain faster

get hose and squirt a bit of water in the hole at top to wash out the inside a bit

reattach radiator hose

fill to brim with coolant/water mix (green or red)

start car, continue to fill up till it overflows, dont forget overflow tank!

leave car running for a bit, but keep an eye on in cos its gotta suck the coolant into the engine as well, so the overflow will probably empty pretty quick.

then just keep checking it occasionally. easy!

Cheers for the answer. I ended up getting it serviced and requesting it as part of the service.

Thanks again.

dont mix them together, whatever u do! made up of different compounds so not good if mixed!

not terribly much difference between the two, but if your worried just flush the coolant yourself, its pretty easy...

park on the grass

get hose and squirt a bit of water in the hole at top to wash out the inside a bit

reattach radiator hose

leave car running for a bit, but keep an eye on in cos its gotta suck the coolant into the engine as well, so the overflow will probably empty pretty quick.

• 4 years later...

heres a step by step process that has never FAILED me before:

1. wake up

2. put on fluro shirt, dont worry about pants, you wont need them.

3. eat breakfast, do the breakfast dance in private, private dancer, dancer for money, any old tune will do.

4. drink plenty of water

5. stand on front lawn at approximately 11:26:13.27

5. open coolant cap

6. begin urination phase one

7. look around suspiciously

8. run back inside

9. pick a good book, read it.

10. watch gilmore girls

11. fall asleep while watching it

12. wake up in a mad panick running around the house with your fluro shirt and no pants on

heres a step by step process that has never FAILED me before:

1. wake up

2. put on fluro shirt, dont worry about pants, you wont need them.

3. eat breakfast, do the breakfast dance in private, private dancer, dancer for money, any old tune will do.

4. drink plenty of water

5. stand on front lawn at approximately 11:26:13.27

5. open coolant cap

6. begin urination phase one

7. look around suspiciously

8. run back inside

9. pick a good book, read it.

10. watch gilmore girls

11. fall asleep while watching it

12. wake up in a mad panick running around the house with your fluro shirt and no pants on

Alright, enough is enough.

You p*ss poor attempts at trolling are going to swiftly end in you being banned...

I have not a clue as to why you feel the need to troll the Prius forums (I mean seriously, its got to be one of the least used areas on this site)

You are unoriginal and un-funny... and you do not at all live up to your username... I mean c'mon, have you actually even watched Danny the tourettes guy (rest his soul) on youtube?

It's fairly clear you are in the shallow end of the gene pool, do us all a favour and hop out.

<3

Mick.

how can I be like the real tourettes guy? would you prefer me to start swearing alot. Also how is it unoriginal, I wrote, as for being "un-funny" which is not a word, me and all the people at the bogan forums got a good kick out of it, as being in the wrong end of the gene pool I wouldnt be in there at all if you had just told me how to teach my four year old prius to swim.

how can I be like the real tourettes guy? would you prefer me to start swearing alot. Also how is it unoriginal, I wrote, as for being "un-funny" which is not a word, me and all the people at the bogan forums got a good kick out of it, as being in the wrong end of the gene pool I wouldnt be in there at all if you had just told me how to teach my four year old prius to swim.

Ahh, bogan forums, everything makes sense now.

So when your mother slept with your brother/father, they obviously didn't use protection then.

They didnt need protection because what you just said never occured, by the way your location says newcastle, has what you said ever happened to you? There is nothing "castle" about, more like a well thought out plan of catastrophe, although an accurate description many newcastle people may argue that "theres nothing wrong with newcastle", but we know better.

Anyway since you took this thread in the wrong direction I will now attempt to get it back on track, as for coolant, my friend likes to use conola oil, It amuses me, it makes me laugh. I personally dont see how this could work, I mean lets face it, it aint gonna make a fat prius slim/swim.

For the this process what you have to do is:

1. get yourself a free range chicken, i dont care how you get it, buy one, catch one, hunt one down with a knife etc.

2. now oil the chicken

3. Move on to the onions, you have to chop them, dice them, stab them into little pieces.

4. brown them

5. add cream

6. reduce

7. reduce

8. reduce till only the bare truth remains exposed to the elements

9. now the prawns, yesterday the prawn was swimming, playing, doing tumble turns in the sea, boil them.

10. place in the oven.

11. change cars coolant.

12. eat the prawn chicken.

:spiteful::g::nono::angry: -_- :D

Edited by tourettes guy

... Anyway since you took this thread in the wrong direction I will now attempt to get it back on track...

It never went off-track until you posted in it you idiot.

by the way your location says newcastle, has what you said ever happened to you? There is nothing "castle" about, more like a well thought out plan of catastrophe, although an accurate description many newcastle people may argue that "theres nothing wrong with newcastle"

Whats it with you bagging the Locations of where TOCAU Members live???????????

Cheers for the answer. I ended up getting it serviced and requesting it as part of the service.

Thanks again.

park on the grass

reattach radiator hose

MT is Correct. NEVER mix coolants. Incompadibility will result in yor coolant turing to a gel like substance. Will give you false reading on temp gauge. ie>>>>>Fu******Ked motor

Whats it with you bagging the Locations of where TOCAU Members live???????????

Because he's a troll. Trolls tend to insult people or act stupidly in order to get people to react.

Thanks again.

park on the grass

reattach radiator hose

MT is Correct. NEVER mix coolants. Incompadibility will result in yor coolant turing to a gel like substance. Will give you false reading on temp gauge. ie>>>>>Fu******Ked motor

do you realise you posted a reply to this in the year 2010, that post you replied to was posted in 2006, do still think anyone cares after four years?

do you realise you posted a reply to this in the year 2010, that post you replied to was posted in 2006, do still think anyone cares after four years?

You're the one that resurrected the thread you idiot.

Because he's a troll. Trolls tend to insult people or act stupidly in order to get people to react.

Good Answer :)

Hopefully he gets bored and falls asleep soon...........

It will definately come in handy. Especially for the Newbies..

Dont think many people would know that your not suppose to mix different Coolants.

The only problem is they have to read alot of Spam before they get their answer.