Odour in Air condition

2011kluger

Hi all,

I have a Nov 2011 kluger and when the air con is turned on a bad odour comes out through the vents. He suggested a service for $170 but could not promise me that the smell would not return. I feel its a factory fault. What do you guys think? And what can I do to rectify the fault? Thanks Steve.

I don't think its a factory fault but as Pete suggested the deodorizer might help but you could also look at changing the pollen filter and using the aircon mist/scent...just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'm not used to the fact that all new cars have a odour problem through their air con as 1stkill suggests above "its not a factory fault". I also have a 10 year old non toyota car and I have never had an issue with the air con. Maybe this is just a toyota thing. This odour that I am refering to started about 6 months after we bought the car(new). The car had only 3500km on the clock when the odour appeared. I don't understand why the cabin filter or a deodoriser is required at this early stage.

Mine is a 2011 too, and I notice this smell when the aircon is first started after it has been off.

I believe it has to do with the vents being wet from the cool air and then creating mould/mildew which causes the smell. The only way I can think of fixing the problem would be to replace the cabin air filter, do an aircon clean and before you arrive at your destination turn the air con off and have the fan blowing at full strength to 'dry' out the vents if that makes sense...

It's really annoying because the car's are basically brand new.

Matt