Antenna reception

rawso

Brought up an old thread accidentally in the Camry area, but this problem is very similar to what someone was having over there with there camry sportivo. Radio reception is poor, with one radio channel in particular has quite poor reception.

Looking at the way I have it set up, the orange wire comes into my radio harness and is looped with a blue wire, in the spare pin terminal (Pin 9 I think). This wire then goes to my headunit and also a remote sensor for my amp.

Is this correct way of doing it? Would it be powering the antenna correctly? Could I cut that loop and solder on the red(accessory) +12v to the orange antenna power?

I was trying to find out if the antenna power could be used for an amp remote sensor, by your set up it sounds like it can but it could be taking too much power from the antenna's amplifier/booster, you could still use the antenna wire for the amp but use it to switch a relay on that gives the amp it's remote power from another source. I will be putting in my amps soon so after seeing the problem you are having I will just use the antenna power to turn on a relay in case that is causing the problem. I would leave the original antenna power from the head unit and put 12v accessory power to the amp remote if you want to do it that way, I wouldn't risk hooking an accessory 12v into the antenna booster, it might overload it. Is it the factory head unit? Did you do the installation? If it's an aftermarket head unit it could be using the remote out to power the antenna also.

Edited by SATORI893

I decided to do it anyway the other day... I hooked it up to the 12v accessory yellow wire...made no difference. I'm now convinced that its the aerial. Either just poor quality or it has some sort of interference in the line. Maybe because its in sort of mixed with the demister. Or both. But yes, I had it originally hooked up with the amp sensor wire and it worked fine (aside from the current issue.

I installed a pioneer aftermarket head unit.

What are my options with installing a better quality aerial? I've never really seen any aftermarket ones.

Are you running a genuine toyota headunit? Because i had an aftermarket head unit and had terrible radio reception. I then forked out some more cash for a genuine Aurion sat nav. what a difference! The quality of the radio reception improved by 100%

my sister used to have a yaris with a pioneer deck and the radio reception wasn't as good as the factory stereo. But she didnt care as she used the ipod hence why she bought it.

Yeah, usually I'd just put up with it but I spend around 3 hours a day traveling to and from work.

Bought a blaupunkt autofun antenna, so we'll see how that goes.