96 Celica SX running rough

Boballatsea

Just gave my engine bay a spray out and engine immdiately running rough. Like running on 3.5 cyl. Thought it might have got water down spark plug sleeves but 24 hours later and sprayed WD40 down the sleeves and in boots and still the same. Any suggestions

Did you test to see if all 4 spark plugs were sparking? If not, could be an ignition lead or dizzy shagged up if it feels like misfiring

Otherwise, clean out idle sensor, throttle body etc if it's just idling rough

Edited by handsome

Haven't got the tools to take the plugs out but also misses on acceleration. Sure its not getting spark to one of the plugs. Will check whether the leads are sparking when it gets dark. Haven't got a manual could you tell me where the idle sensor is. I'm sure something has got some water in it or was effected by the water. The distributer is screwed shut and well sealed so dont think it would be that but will undo and have a check.

Surely you've got a screwdriver somewhere. Pull the leads out one by one, shove the screwdriver metal end in the lead and hold it near bare metal such as your engine and check for sparks when engines running

If all the leads are working, then check plugs if you can get hold of spark plug socket. Pull them out and just hold the spark plug (connected to lead) on bare metal and see if the plug is sparking

Leave the dizzy til later, don't wanna open up that can of worms. Can't visually inspect if most things in there are shagged or not anyway

Thanks, of course brain's not working today. All plugs sparking. Noted when I put them back in that the revs went up on one when I pushed it in harder. Sprayed more WD40 in that one and now it is idling correctly. Also leads are not sparking. Still misses a bit on acceleration but the main problem appears to be sorting itself out. Looks like that lead may have a connection problem lead to spark plug brought on by the water. Thanks for your help.