Considering buying a 2003 Prado.

Steve_H

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a 2003 Prado and I'd like to know what common issues they have, if any.

I currently own a 2002 Pajero which I bought a year ago and I've been very unhappy with it...as soon as I got it I had a faulty dash, worn valve seals and oil leaks, which were all considered common problems for my model, but recently the automatic gearbox fell apart and I'm now faced with a $6k repair bill. It seems that faulty gearboxes are not uncommon now too, I've heard of half a dozen owners with the same problem in recent months. Anyway, I plan on repairing the Pajero, selling it and buying something else, preferably a Prado. I'd just like to get some information on their reliability, prior to the Pajero I owned a Subaru for 9 years and that cost me a total of $11 in repairs (faulty sensor in the ignition) and I'm tossing up between a Prado and an Outback....with the Prado my first choice.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Steve_H

I would choose a prado as they have a good reputation for being mechanically reliable. As long as you keep up the regular required servicing you should get many years of trouble free motoring. I'd google the model your considering and research what problems (if any) other owners have come across so you know what to look out for with your purchase.

Having said that Subaru make reliable vehicles also so I guess it comes down to you!

Hi steve, I asuming being a 2003 model your after 120 seies prado, if it is there a very reliable car, I use to own a 2005 v6 petrol model and it was the best vehicle I have owned,there are very few problems that I can think of ,the one that probadly springs to mind is the cracked dash issue the have been a nunber of 120 series with dash cracking and over time getting worse, I was lucky with mine I didnt have that problem with mine, somthing worth looking for when shoping for are prado, another thing is check the rear door open and closes easy and there isnt any movement in the hinges and check the hinges for cracking, this mainly a problem with prados that have spent most of there time off the beaten track, this is caused by the extra weight of the spare wheel on the door putting strain on the hinges and corrugations making the door move up and down, but its rare problem.when purchasing at heavly modified prado,check that the inside guards havent any cracks , this mostly a problem when dual battery systems have been fitted with deep cycle and the prado has done a lot of off road driving,but there are plenty of surbarn ones that have led a easy life, thats what I would be looking at buying.

Mechanicaly the prados are pretty bullet proof, im not sure what engine your after, I know the 4.0 v6 that I had was brilliant, never a problem, there are a great engine, reliable, smooth and powerfull, the other two engines are pretty reliable as well, as far as I know other mechanicals on the prado are also pretty reliable.

The prado in my oppinion would have to be one of the best cars you could own.

There is a lot of great infomation on prado point about prados, thats about all I can think of at the moment, but if theres any other question I will give it ago answering .

Thanks Croco, that's a very informative answer and I appreciate thye time it took you to reply.

Yeah, it's the 120 series I'm after, with the 4.0 V6 engine, it's what I originally wanted to buy when I got the Pajero, I just couldn't stretch the funds at the time....something which has now taught me an expensive lesson.