AE112 Ascent Disc Brake Conversion

monkeyboyvin

I've been planning to do a drum brake conversion to disc brake, although i'm still not quite sure what i need exactly to do the conversion.

I recently visited my friend who is a mechanic and has worked on countless corollas in his years of being a mechanic. I asked him what i exact parts i needed to obtain in order to do the conversion.

He told me that you can either find a ae112 levin or the ae101 seca which apparently has the same design.

- Rear Hub Assembly

- Rotors

- Brake Calipers

- Brake line

I'm not sure what else i exactly need and how the part suppose to look. I don't need the struts because i have already bought BC Coilovers from the ae101.

For a newbie at cars all I really understand is that the rear hub assembly allows you to mount the brake calipers on them and the rotors just sit generally on the bolts. The brake line is needed to connect to the brake calipers (in order to brake?).

Please help me understand what else i need to do, for example how does the handbrake operate when i change to disc brakes.

Best thing to do is to go to a wreckers and have a look at how the system works compared to yours before you start ripping it apart. compare each other so you have a better understanding.

You may also need:

- BMC
- Brake lines that run under the whole car
- Handbrake cable (connects to the caliper and pulls the pads together to hold the car, average setup for skids lol)

He told me that you can either find a ae112 levin or the ae101 seca which apparently has the same design.

Please help me understand what else i need to do, for example how does the handbrake operate when i change to disc brakes.

FYI, if you're looking around local yards you'll need to find AE102 rear brakes, doesn't matter if it's Seca or sedan. Easy way to tell is that all the 1.8L models (Conquest, RV, Ultima, CSX 1.8 etc) had disc rears and 14" wheels, whereas the 1.6L (CSi, CSX 1.6) models had drum rears and 13" wheels. The imported AE101 Levins/Sprinters will mostly likely all have rear discs though.

On the AE102 rear disc setups, the handbrake cable acts on the caliper/piston directly, there is no small internal drum brake inside the rotor like a lot of other setups

Having said that last night I was looking exactly at the ae102 1.8L SECA on gumtree. All i wanted from the car was the brake hub assembly, brake lines, brake calipers. Sadly The next morning i went to find the same advert and the car is now shown as sold =[.

I haven't gone to the wreckers yet, but i've tried giving them a call to see if they have any ae112 levins or ae102 1.8L .

An update of what i think i might need to grab of these cars

- Wheel hub assembly

- Brake calipers

- Brake lines the run under the whole car to the master cylinder?

- Handbrake cable

What exactly is the BMC?

Not going to grab the rotors as i'm thinking of buying a set of front and rear slotted rotors and new brake pads.

BMC = Brake Master Cylinder

I think you'll also need the brake bias valve that attaches to the firewall, the rear disc setups run different bias to drums (and actually have slightly different front discs, too).

I think the best choice now is have a look at an actual ae112 levin that has brake disc and see the difference in parts between mine and theirs. Then i can figure out what exactly mine needs/ is missing.

I noticed a new member recently joining and showed us his ae112 levin and was in perth so i might take some time and check out his car.

And let me know how it goes! Lol ive been thinking about it for a while as well.

Want to know if its worth it or not!

Feel free to stick your head under my rear end at the next monthly meet.

Wait, that sounded a little wrong...

And let me know how it goes! Lol ive been thinking about it for a while as well.

Want to know if its worth it or not!

Feel free to stick your head under my rear end at the next monthly meet.Wait, that sounded a little wrong...

LMAO in that case I won't be there :P

Lol nah all good if I do show up I shall look....at the brakes of course.

News update, i've found a wrecked ae112 levin. I've contacted the wreckers and got a quote price on the whole of the rear wheel assembly,

So practically everything except the rims and struts/springs from the rear is what i am attempting to get.

Haven't asked about the BMC yet.

I also trying to get the AE112 Levin Instrument cluster as well.