Ratheesh Kumar

Hi All,

Any one ever experienced so called roll or cornering of your kluger at high speed and if so please share your experience and any advice.In fact i am bit scared to go over 60Kmh on any bends on high ways,it feels bit out of control(slightly unbalance car body movement) while driving a 90 degree turn from highways to sub roads.

Share your exp.

Cheers

Edited by Ratheesh Kumar

The Kluger by design is ok to drive at normal speeds... If you have any concerned with the handling of your car it would be advisable to take it to your Toyota dealer. Or possibly look at aftermarket anti-sway bars if there is such a thing.

I must say I driven more late model Toyotas than I care to admit and none have I ever felt unsafe in.... (there was a commodore once that scared me ;))

The Kluger is a "tall vehicle" and in being so reacts differently to the average sedan and the driving style should be adjusted to accommodate this. In general it is very stable and safe and there is no need to be overly cautious.

Having driven many similar vehicles I find the handling of the Kluger is clearly the best so far.

If yours is not handling how you would expect it to then have it looked at soon.
Have you had it since new? Previous owner could have done something to it or it may have had poor repairs after an accident? Does it have good tyres with the correct pressure??

One things that I have noticed is that many people run too low a pressure in their tyres, mostly using pressures more suited to a small lightweight sedan. That is very dangerous and will affect the handling.

I have found that 40 psi is the best to run them at and it is also what the dealer recommends. Note... this is on the standard 17" KXR rims... not sure what it is with the 19"s?

PS: Might want to change the topic title? I thought it related to an actual roll over ...? Body Roll may be more appropriate?
A journo once rolled one and made a big hoo haa about it. Since then people take the slightest opportunity to make out that the Kluger is prone to this which is a blatant lie. More a case of careless journo looking for a way out of paying for the damage.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

The Kluger is a "tall vehicle" and in being so reacts differently to the average sedan and the driving style should be adjusted to accommodate this. In general it is very stable and safe and there is no need to be overly cautious.

Having driven many similar vehicles I find the handling of the Kluger is clearly the best so far.

If yours is not handling how you would expect it to then have it looked at soon.

Have you had it since new? Previous owner could have done something to it or it may have had poor repairs after an accident? Does it have good tyres with the correct pressure??

One things that I have noticed is that many people run too low a pressure in their tyres, mostly using pressures more suited to a small lightweight sedan. That is very dangerous and will affect the handling.

I have found that 40 psi is the best to run them at and it is also what the dealer recommends. Note... this is on the standard 17" KXR rims... not sure what it is with the 19"s?

PS: Might want to change the topic title? I thought it related to an actual roll over ...? Body Roll may be more appropriate?

A journo once rolled one and made a big hoo haa about it. Since then people take the slightest opportunity to make out that the Kluger is prone to this which is a blatant lie. More a case of careless journo looking for a way out of paying for the damage.

Yeah I remember hearing about that,I think it was the journo for wheels magazine that tried to do swerve test or somthing like that and flipped it on its side,what a idiot, I dont know if anyone agrees with me or not ,but I reckon anything half of these motoring journo say is bullsh!t.

I have watched some of the tests they have done on other cars on the news and on you tube and if you drive like a turkey like these dingbats do well you have your own self to blame if you roll your car.

Most of these motoring magazines ,and Im not naming names ,want you to buy some useless 2 door sports car or some eco box that would beable to fit much more than 2 passangers and a tissue box in, they dont have the idea of most people want,sure if I was rich I would have a sports car and a big family car,but im not so I got to buy somthing that does everything.Sorry Ratheesh I probadly got of the topic a bit.

My kluger has a little bit of body roll and can be a bit wallowy especialy on mountain roads and winding roads,but its not uncontrolable or unsafe,I notice it more when I havent driven the kluger on open road for a while,once I have been driving for a while and know the road and get to feel of the kluger ,I can take most bends with comfidence ,most roads including dirt I find the kluger quiet stable and predictible on most surfaces, I agree with barney the kluger is one of the best cars I have driven and had the pleasure of owning.

• Like 2

Just a quick post ,I forgot to mention that I run 40 psi in my 19 inch wheels,I find it the best presure for ride and handling,if your tyres are underinflated it will play are part in handling,you would be surprised how many people dont have the corect pressure ordont check there tyre pressure,I make a habit of checking them myself with a tyre gauge once a month.

Having the right pressure will improve hadling and fuel economy and make your tyres last longer.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was on 17" and lots of body roll. Then change it to 245/55/19 it does help abit but overtime I feel not much different from 17. then i changed to 255/55/19. i feel very very stable at high speed conering and roundabouts. till now already clocked 10ks on it 8days trip back from tassie and loving it. and it's no high performance tyre. it's a kumho. only thing is i should have lower the tyre pressure on tassie road. I was on 40psi feels bumpy though. :)

No "tallish" vehicle will handle like a Honda Civic or the like because they taller. Basic physics.

Try throwing a Nissan Patrol or a Landcruiser around?? :-)

I'm not a fan of the 19" wheels and lower profile tyres. Prefer the 17".

Bro as I mentioned on your another post. From 245 to 255 there's about 1.4% increase in tyre size. So you might feel there's a bit of fuel increase. Let's do the math.

Stock 245/55/19 - One tank say 70litre on 10litre/100km = You get 700km. (e.g say from VIC to NSW)

Now 255/55/19 - One tank 70litre on 10litre/100km = you get 689km (Still from VIC to NSW covered the same distance but due to less tyre roll u get less kms on your odometer.

hope my calculation is correct.

Bro as I mentioned on your another post. From 245 to 255 there's about 1.4% increase in tyre size. So you might feel there's a bit of fuel increase. Let's do the math.

Stock 245/55/19 - One tank say 70litre on 10litre/100km = You get 700km. (e.g say from VIC to NSW)

Now 255/55/19 - One tank 70litre on 10litre/100km = you get 689km (Still from VIC to NSW covered the same distance but due to less tyre roll u get less kms on your odometer.

Sorry i did n't see your reply before and i did n't notice you specified using Kumho tyres on your vehicle.Discard my quote on other post.So i will change my tyres to 255/55/19 to feel the stability....

Cheers

Sorry i did n't see your reply before and i did n't notice you specified using Kumho tyres on your vehicle.Discard my quote on other post.So i will change my tyres to 255/55/19 to feel the stability....

Cheers

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/38970-19-tyres-for-2009-fwd-kx-s/?p=524122

• Like 1

Cheers

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/38970-19-tyres-for-2009-fwd-kx-s/?p=524122

Thanks tpl,

cheers