19" tyres for 2009 FWD KX-S

Dave Mc

Hello all. This is my first post.

A few weeks back I took my car in for a 30K service [done 32K] and was astonished to be told that the Bridgestones only

had about 5K left in them. I was even more astonished when I started phoning around for quotes. Apart from the scarcity

of choice in this size, the prices are a bit over the top.

I am on the Sunshine Coast. I've phoned around Jax, Bob Jane, Tyrepower and an independent and have come up with these

"best" options. I should add that the car gets an easy life, black top driving only. I am after mileage and comfort. I won't buy Bridgestones again.

Coopers [though 255, not 245] - $475

Falken - $310

Yokohama Advan - $410 [the tyre guy claims they are noisy]

Pirelli Scorpion ATR [255] - $450

Continental - $419

Hankook - $359

Maxxus - $360

Toyo - $440 [all F&B]

I'd appreciate the views of other Kluger owners as to whether to steer clear of any of these or if any is a standout. I have to say I don't like the

Coopers profile and pattern. I am steering toward Pirelli, maybe Toyo or Falken. Ideally, I'd like something I don't have to change tyres on so regularly.

Also, are these prices in the ballpark or are they having me on?

Thanks

I got 47,000 from the original Bridgestone tyres. I then fitted toyo open country HT,s same profile as factory. I have travelled 75,000 on these tyres and they will probably make 100,000 before needing replacement, they are not as good as the bridestones in the wet though. But at nearly $1700 for a set of tyres (more for the bridestones), I will be getting Toyo,s again.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a 2008 KX-S and the prior owner had to get 4 new tyres for the roadworthy. He replaced them with a brand called Sonny, obviously a more budget tyre at $207 each for the 19' tyres. I have no idea as to the quality as yet. They 'look' fine but time will tell. I was looking into the tyre prices before I bought and were disgusted at the cost and availability of tryes for this car. Why did Toyota have to use such an odd sizing ?! Stupid.

• 1 month later...

Hi Newbie,

I am currently looking for tyres for our 2009 Kluger KX-S and we have done 40k on our original Bridgestones, which from all accounts is pretty normal.

Bob Jane T Marts have given me the cheapest price on fitting the same tyres on it again which is probably the way I am going to go.

They did try and sell me the cheaper Falkens and said they are better in the wet, but every forum I have seen people say they are terrible in the wet and they have a softer compound than the Bridgestones.

I can get Coopers wholsale for $260 per tyre and they reckon I will get 70k out of them which is warranted if you get the vehicle checked every 10k, I would then have to take them somewhere to be fitted which is not the right way to do things I believe.

BJTM's quoted me $325 each just yesterday and I think that will win.

People in other forums are saying that BJTM's are not the cheapest so go to a Bridgestone Tyre Centre as they will be cheaper, trust me I have done this and BJTM's are proving to be the cheapest and the Bridgestone Tyre Centres are the bloody dearest.

Personally I think Toyota should be stepping up to the plate with slightly cheaper prices again to fit the same tyres on their cars, it's not like they would be losing money, and they would be getting repeat business.

Hope that helps but you have probably done something about your tyres by now.

Regards

Paul

Hi Guys

Im going to have to replace my tyres in a month a so so starting looking on ebay and found a great deal for new Bridgestones 4 for under a $1,000, the company seems to have a pretty good rating. Anyway here is the link

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_5433wt_1093

hope this helps.

Ray

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought a 2008 KX-S and the prior owner had to get 4 new tyres for the roadworthy. He replaced them with a brand called Sonny, obviously a more budget tyre at $207 each for the 19' tyres. I have no idea as to the quality as yet. They 'look' fine but time will tell. I was looking into the tyre prices before I bought and were disgusted at the cost and availability of tryes for this car. Why did Toyota have to use such an odd sizing ?! Stupid.

Wait til you try them in the wet..I had them on a SS Commodore....DANGEROUS

Best wearing tyre for Kluger is Maxxis 750.... About 70,000km...but don't drive well.

Best driving tyre is kumho luxury pattern.sticks like the proverbial to blanket...about 55,000km

Have racked up 270,000kms in 2 klugers...tried all of them! Even coopers.

Today I priced some tyres for my kluger, 245/55x19 at tyre power, here are the prices fitted.

Maxxis$340

Toyo HT $345

Bridgestone D400 HL $370

Cooper cts $380

I interested in the coopers , but the salesman recomended the toyos , so now I have to decide what tyre to get ?

Ahh decision decisions LOL :g:

Try Kmart Tyre and Auto.

I picked up a set of Bridgestones for $320 each fitted. ( Brisbane ) Just ask them for best price, they will always drop it a bit.

They have access to the other brands as well.

• 2 weeks later...

JD your are right. I'm on 255. Much better handling than stock 245 especially B/S D400 with lowest legal speed rating and UTQG B-B.

• 1 month later...

Anyone in the Brisbane region have a recommendation for tyre retailers where I can get competitive quotes for 245/55/19? Are there any high volume retailers or wholesalers like ozzytyres, Tempe tyres as in Sydney ?

Local quotes at the Coast aren't competitive.

Thanks

Edited by Dave Mc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bro look at 255/55/19. 255/50/19 u get smaller diameter(-1.93%) than 245/55/19. On 255/55 you add 1.46%.So you put more ks on your ODO on 255/50. Moreover your speedo and actual speed will have big gap.

stock size:.245/55/19 from your house to coles 10km (100km/h on speedo , GPS clocked 95km/h)

255/50/19 from your house to coles become 10km +1.93%=11.93km (100km/h GPS clocke 93km/h)

255/55/19 from your house to coles become 10km - 1.46%=9.854km. (100km/h GPS clock 96.3km/h)

due to bigger circumference your tyre roll less. simple example take a small and a big ball and roll it from you kitchen to your dining and see which one rolls more.

and last thing you need to know from 245/55 to 255/50 is touching 15mm diameter lesser than original. Put yourself on risk on insurance.

good luck bro hope this gives u a little idea before you buy it.

fuel economy not much different at least for me from 17inch to 19inch 245/55/19 and then to 255/55/19. from 245 to 255 there is a 10mm diameter increase. still within 15mm tolerance. no problem on insurance. and your kluger sit 10mm higher. you wont feel the different though. but it does look abit different with 'fatter' looking tyre.

Kmart Tyre and Auto (KTAS) will do the original 19" tyres including fitting and free damage cover for $285 each, Toyota quoted $380 a piece for the same! I got 37000 K's from my first set on my 2011 KX-S AWD.