Rattle / squeak in dash board – 2013 Corolla Ascent Sport

Hi there,

Just an update on the rattles.

Took car to Melb City Toyota earlier this week. They arranged a rep from Toyota to be onsite for a test drive. They acknowledge the rattles which was good!

They took of the dash and reinsulated various compontents. After a few days of short drives, I am pleased to say - no rattles!!!!

The rattles came back after a few days of prior repairs, mainly after long road trips or changes in weather (i.e really hot to cold). So I am not 100% sure if they will remain gone.. Will take a long drive this weekend to test it out.

How are you all getting on?

The Toyota rep also acknowledged that the Levin model has some issues with rattley sunroof as identifed in an earlier post.

Jas

• Like 1

That's a good outcome for you. Hopefully they are all gone now. I still have all the rattles. No fixes for me. One can only hope they officially admit there is a problem and fix all those with an issue. Very disappointed with this car. Will not buy another Toyota.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Everyone

I finally got my car back after about a month at the dealer. It's been 2 weeks and guess what......the rattles are starting again! Not as bad as it was when I took it in the last time, but continue to get worse the more I drive. The wind noise at the back (left hand side) is still there and now, since I got my car back from the dealer, it's got the most awful foul smell to it. The moment I start it and the fan or air con comes on there is this old sweaty foul smell coming from the airvents. I had to go and buy an airfreshener just to be able to drive my car. It doesn't help much! My car will never be the same again. :-( I am HEART BROKEN about this car. Don't know if I will ever trust the Toyota brand again.

I can not believe that Toyota can't acknowledge there's a problem with the corolla. Can't we do something together to get their attention?

How are you guys going? Any success stories or new rattles? Jas, how's your car now, still rattle free?

O yes, and I asked the service Manager at the dealers and he said that there's no limit to km's for rattle warranty! They have to fix it no matter the km's. If it's within the 3 year warranty period, they have to do it.

Let me know how you guys are doing!

Y

Edited by YLRLevinZR

Hey YLR,

Can't believe the news. I can imagine how devastated you are. 1. A brand new car should not be rattling like ours do, and 2. To have yours pulled apart and put back together to be fixed and for the rattles to return is completely unacceptable, and really infuriates me, so I can imagine how you feel mate.

I have no success stories with my rattles, had it serviced recently and I brought it up and they didn't want to know about it again. I am completely over trying to get it fixed anyway so I am getting rid of this rubbish car, and will never buy another Toyota. I have had 3 Corolla's (1996 model, 2011 model and 2013 model) and this car is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I would rather my 1996 model over this car, not even that car rattled.

Since you had no luck with your car being at the dealer for around a month and you still have the problems, I am not even going to attempt getting mine resolved now.

Jas, have your rattles come back?

Cheers guys.

• 1 month later...

2013 Levin ZR with roof is an utter pain. The only way to solve the NUMEROUS rattles from the roof, doors, dash, console and exhaust are to turn the radio up. Toyota AUs don't seem to care and the dealer definately seems to shrug it off as me "being a whinger".

$33,000 for a lemon. "Oh what a feeling"... A very bad feeling and after 20 years of owning 10 different Toyota's, this will be my last.

• 2 months later...

Jeebus I traded in my Citroen C4 a few weeks ago for a new corolla sport.

It was getting hard finding a dealer to service the C4, but I must say it had 120K on it when traded and hadn't had a fault or rattle in it's entire life..... Maybe I was lucky.

After reading all these issues about rattles and potential CVT problems I'm wondering if I made a good decision to buy a Corolla. Hopefully I don't get any rattles.

Should have gone back to Citroen maybe.

• 3 months later...

I bought the late 2012 corolla Levin SX, just after it was released, and my experience both the dealer and Toyota Customer Care has been a nightmare, to be honest. I never did have the squeaks, but I have had many other problems with it, including a rattling passenger seat, CVT over revving on flat roads, a foul smelling exhaust, the plastic mat attached to the driver's floor bubbling up, the floor mats freying, the audio system head unit failing with gps constantly, and issues connecting with Bluetooth from my iphone, as well as a whistling sound coming from the rubber seal on the drivers side rear door. I have taken the car to Toyota service 4 times now and they tell me they fixed most of these issues, but did not. They never replaced the floor mats and have blamed the stinking exhaust on too much sulphur being in Australia's fuel, telling me to use more expensive fuel. I spoke to customer care several times who made promises that we're never fulfilled and/or they never called me back when they said they would. The last 3 emails I've sent them have been ignored.

Overall, for a $27,000 car, I am outraged and will never buy a Toyota again. It's Mazda for me now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow noise suffers,

I purchased a 2013 demo accent sport (5k on clock), my first new toyota and I'm sorry to say my last.

Within a day of driving it off the block, I noticed a "clack" sound coming from the front end as I hit cat's eyes on the road (and there a plenty around) or any pothole in the road.

1st time back, oldmac didn't even bother to look at it, 2nd time back after 2 to 3 days with the dealership, same problem, 3rd time back after 2 to 3 day with the dealer, no better, in fact it is getting worse.

My 1997 Hyundai excel was not off the road this amount of time and it had no rattles.

Embarrassing when passengers ask "what was that" as you hit a bump, and quite frankly Toyota should be too. I bad mouth this model corolla when ever I get the opportunity.

The interior rattles have now started in vengence, I have a rattle around the steering column, in the dash and on the door controls on the drivers side.

I'm not even going to bother anymore, I am off loading this poor quality vehicle, some other sucker can have the problems that quite frankly are only going to get worse. It still has warranty on it.

I'm going to take the loss as I do not want to own a vehicle that annoys me every time I start it.

I'm purchasing a Honda Civic in the next month or so

I get the rattle by the drivers side door as well. Like a constant buzzing sound.

Overall 5K on the car and am not overly impressed with it, looks alright but comparing it with my 2007 Citroen i feel the quality is just pure crap for interior feel, road noise.

Reliability wise I can't comment. Toyota really has dropped the bar, I don't think i'll buy another Toyota again.

It's a shame really I remember we had 2 Tarago's (or Previas as they are known in Canada), and that thing was an absolute tank. In 100k we had it, it didn't let off a single rattle, nor feel any looser than they day we bought it. It was almost as if it was a brand new car 100K later.

The Corolla I am not so sure will last as long, will probably live up to the 3 year warranty period and then fall to bits.

• 2 months later...

Bought my Corolla Levin ZR in May 2013.

Almost 12 months to the day, a rattle started on the left side of the dash, and within weeks, spread elsewhere ie just behind speedometer. As time passed, the rattles got louder and more frequent. Has been into the dealership twice, screws tightened, padding added and pretty much like others have reported, within days the rattle returns and as each day goes past, becomes louder and more frequent. As it's winter and cold, you can without trying, produce any of the rattles (now from 4 different locations behind the dash).

Frustrated is an understatement.

About to book into the dealership a third time, but in the meantime, like others, contemplating cutting my losses short and looking to replace it with NOT a Toyota.

The dealership has been pretty good, loan car at no cost and very willing to fix (no cost to me at all). However, dont think Toyota are being honest. There should be a recall notice as again like others, believe there is a quality and design fault and we are not the only ones.

Hi Everyone,

I've been keeping track of this forum and what a dissappointment to see new members popping up complaining about the rattly Corolla!

Whenever I drop my car at the dealer for it's service the dealer pretends not to hear the comment about the rattles anymore. I can tell you all one thing, the rattles is NOT going to stop!!! It always comes back and with vengeace. If you check my previous posts, my car went through extreme measures of attempts to eliminate the rattling....guess what, it's back and it's even worse than in the beginning. So loud that people ask me straight up, what the....is that?! How old is your car? I feel embarrest, to say the least. They look at me like I'm insane if they hear the rattling and know the price tag.

Toyota dropped the ball on this one badly. I WILL NEVER EVER buy a Corolla again! This was my first and my last! I gave up on complaining to the dealer about it really. They try to fix it just to shut you up for a while, that's it! This is not something that's gonna go away. It's disgusting and to me it feels like I've been robbed literally! I can't believe that there's not a recall on this Corolla!!

So sorry to hear that you guys are also feeling this "pain"!

Edited by YLRLevinZR

• 2 weeks later...

I also have this elusive rattle seemingly coming from the dashboard area around or behind the instrument cluster area. I spent the entire weekend just past trying to track it down. I did reduce the various rattles coming from the front of the interior (and some other interior areas) in doing so, but I did not get rid of the specific rattle that seems to come from behind the instrument cluster. I had thought it was something to do with a loose fitting white terminal block behind the instrument cluster (accessible by removing the panel above the pedals and reaching upwards), but I secured that with foam and also secured the bonnet release cable which was also unsecured ex-factory) but these did not make an appreciable difference so far as I could tell.

I am certainly not prepared to rip the entire dash out, nor am I prepared to let a dealer do it, since I reckon the chances of getting the car back without cosmetic damage and without the rattle is just about nil. Infact I'd be far more likely to get it back with even more rattles, since whenever you pull apart interior assemblies these days, you can never usually get them back to the way they were at the factory unless you both renew all the clips (and sometimes even the parts themselves if they have integrated claws) and have a lot of experience pulling apart and re-assembling the particular components that you are dealing with (if you are doing it for the first time, it is almost inevitable you will distort / break clips and do things the wrong way, ending up with more problems).

Anyway, I am pretty much a the point where there are only a few more things I am going to try, at which point I will just be philosophical about it and tell myself that it is just a $22,000 car. I would definitely feel much worse if I had bought the Levin ZR, though. I think Toyota build quality has improved in some areas but gone downhill since the 90s to mid 2000s in terms of interior quality. I never had issues with the Corollas I owned in the mid to late 90s and their interiors seemed to be more robustly built with far less individual parts and thus less chance of issues occurring.

If anyone ever does get to the bottom of this 2013 / 2014 Corolla "dash" rattle, I am sure we would all like to know. In the end though, every car I have ever owned has sooner or later developed pretty severe rattles. I think it is inevitable where you have bad roads (as we do), mass production cars built to a price where the manufacturer goes out of their way to save ten cents and definitely where you have climate extremes. I noticed the rattles got much worse when Winter came and there seems to be a "critical" temperature of around 11 degrees - at or below which, the rattles seem to be a lot worse.

So I decided to spend yet more time - yesterday and today - on this incredibly annoying rattle, as it is really embarrassing when I have passengers and everything else is so quiet on smooth roads. I methodically got under the dash and literally insulated one way or another every single possible cable, panel, other parts, wire(s), etc, etc. Then for good measure I applied Krytox GPL105 to every single plastic part mating joint in the whole structure (this is a permanent non-migrating lubricant specifically designed for use in car interior parts to eliminate squeaks, etc). The only parts I really could not get to were inside the steering wheel, in the pod behind the steering wheel where the wiper and indicator stalks are and the upper section of the steering itself.

Obviously I did not attempt to actually pull the entire dash apart, since that would ultimately make things far worse, but quite a lot of the internal structure and wiring is actually accessible if you just pull off the bottom cover over the pedals on the driver's side and remove the glovebox on the passenger side.

Anyway, I was really happy to drive the car after spending about 4 hours doing all of this and find all the rattles completely gone! I spent nearly a whole hour driving over second rate roads and not a single significant noise from the dashboard. Thinking I had finally solved the problem I put the car in the garage. The next day (this morning) I take the car out - not having made any changes to it since I parked it - and the exact same rattle is back just as loud as before! So bang goes my temperature theory, as when I was test driving it yesterday and last night the temperatures ranged from 7 degrees to about 19 degrees. And this morning it was well within that range as well.

Given all the parts I have attacked I am really starting to wonder if it is something like the driver's side airbags (internally) causing the issue (since both are very firmly mounted obviously) or perhaps something going on inside that pod with the stalks or even with the steering mechanism between the first universal joint (which is near the pedals) and the telescopic section closer towards the wheel itself. They were parts that I am not prepared to look at since I don't want to risk any air bag deployment or possibly stuffing up the ECU or creating possible error codes when the car is under warranty (I do have factory instructions on how to remove the bags and disassemble the parts I am suspecting, however I am not prepared to attempt it without prior experience doing the exact same thing on an identical car. Meaning I'll likely never do it.

So I am at a point now where I have basically given up and unless someone specifically solves this incredibly annoying problem with these Corollas, I guess I am stuck with it for another 20 years....

Then again, I am half expecting a recall for some faulty part here - something to do with drivers side airbags (lose internal parts or mountings), the internal mechanism of the indicator stalk or - less likely - something to do with the steering between the wheel itself and that first universal joint before it exits through the firewall. At this point I'd actually be suspecting the airbags as the rattle source first up but I obviously cannot test drive the car without them installed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone still has any interest in this thread, but regardless, you might want to read this. Yesterday I did decide after all to pull then disassemble the steering wheel on my Corolla, since as mentioned previously I was suspecting my "driver's side dash rattle" was actually coming from somewhere in the region of the airbag / clock spring, etc. Having literally fixed every single possible source of rattles from the driver's side dash itself over the previous couple of weekends, there really wasn't anywhere else it could come from in my opinion.

As it turns out, I happened to also possess an additional Corolla steering wheel assembly (including the deployed airbag) that I bought dirt cheap from a written-off 2013 Corolla Ascent hatch. I was using this wheel to "practice" on in terms of learning how to remove the airbag and various other parts of the wheel assembly without causing any damage, etc. That way I fully knew what to expect when pulling off my own wheel and would be confident of doing a perfect job and not damaging anything and also not run into anything unexpected. Yes, I did have the official service manual but there is no substitute for hands-on experience.

So I pull my wheel off without any problems whatsoever and begin to disassemble the various bits. And then I discovered quite quickly the source of all my problems. What I saw was that AN ENTIRE PART was completely missing from the innards of my steering wheel! According to an exploded parts diagram supplied to me by my local Toyota parts centre (and specifically for cars of my build date since they pulled the diagram based on my VIN), it is part number 45713A.

Part number 45713A is a metal bracket / guide. It is a few inches long and attaches to the interior alloy frame of the steering wheel via two substantial Philips head bolts. The part appears to serve primarily as a guide for the wiring harness components that attach to the controls on either side of the wheel (audio, Bluetooth, etc), the airbag cable and the horn cable. The cables then exit through this bracket and connect to the spiral cable on the steering column (also known as the clock spring). It also has a built-in "damper" whereby a section of the part is affixed via a strong, rubberised suspension. My guess is that this possibly exists in the case where the airbag deploys, since it might sort of act as a cushion to the recoil from the airbag explosion and would thus likely protect the certain internal parts of the steering wheel sub-assembly that might be sensitive to such shock. That is only my uneducated guess though - I am not an engineer and I'd really have to ask the person who designed the inside of the steering wheel to explain why the part was designed as it is. The part also has a felt pad at either end that corresponds to where the cables from the steering wheel controls pass through.

Well, whatever the case, this entire part was missing on my wheel but was certainly present and correct on the wheel from the wrecked 2013 Corolla (my build date is February 2014).

I then reassembled my wheel using part number 45713A donated from the wrecked Corolla wheel. After carefully reaffixing the wheel and airbag, etc I took the car on a test drive. Rattle problem completely and utterly gone.

So the question now becomes why was my car constructed without this part, given that it is included in the parts list and parts diagram for cars within my VIN range and I saw the part for myself inside the steering wheel of a 2013 Corolla? The other implication is whether there is any safety issue if this part does not exist or whether the part purely prevents the very annoying and surprisingly intrusive rattles. Maybe my car is the only one out there that never had this part installed but on the other hand, maybe there are heaps of cars out there without the part. Maybe Toyota themselves decided to delete the part for some reason (I can attest that by including the bracket, it would take longer to assemble and install the wheel and we know how car companies like saving a few cents on every car (time is saved and they don't need to supply the part). But if they did intentionally delete the part I would argue they did not appreciate all the implications of doing so, since my rattle really was quite irritating and really detracted from the perceived quality of the car.

Anyway, I just though I would give this final update, just in case anyone else wants to check their own wheels. If you are merely looking for the existence of the part only, you can see it (or not see it) merely after removing the horn pad / airbag. If the part is missing, you will see the cables connect to the clock spring connector through a very large orifice and they are not really well supported. On the other hand, if the bracket is there, you will see a much smaller hole since the bracket covers most of the back cover and you should see the cables going though guides and a much smaller hole. Installing the part btw requires the wheel to be removed and partially disassembled.

I will be interested to know if other cars have this part missing. Now it really would not surprise me if Toyota recalls these cars were they to find out about the missing part and it was not a case of them having knowingly deleted it from production (you'd think if they had, there would be separate parts diagrams for Corollas of 2013 build dates versus my February 2014 car.

Edited by Rattle Rattleson

Hey Rattle Rattleson,

Very interesting reading with that final update. Seems very odd that the part was missing but should have been there per the VIN. Maybe that was one of the issues with my ZR, even though it was a October 2012 build - I can't check now as I actually upgraded to a new car as I was so disheartened with the ZR after 15 months. I've kept an eye on the thread to see how you guys were travelling with the rattles though. Glad to hear you've managed to fix yours, they really are an awesome car apart from these problems. I reckon Toyota should be issuing some sort of recall to check if any other Corolla's are missing the same part.

Earlier this year before I sold the ZR, one of the persistent rattles in mine was the passenger seat, and when Toyota checked it out, it required a whole new seat frame - so if anyone else has a rattling passenger seat this might be your issue as well. The fix worked, but they didn't put everything back together properly and I had misaligned plastics and parts everywhere, but I was just glad the seat wasn't rattling anymore.

On another note - if anyone is experiencing groaning and creaking noises when steering from lock to lock at low speeds (in carparks etc...) tell Toyota as I had this problem and they had to replace parts with the front suspension...struts or something..? Once this was fixed the ZR drove completely different, like it had just come new out of the showroom - mind you the ZR was only 12 months old so it should have been driving like new as it was - but it was a complete change, and no more noises or feeling like something was wrong with the steering.

Hope everyone else is having luck with getting fixes.

Cheers.

Chris.

Thanks for the reply Chris. The wrecked Corolla from which I got the wheel was a mid 2013 model, so if for some reason Toyota stopped using the part, they were likely putting them in that and earlier models. But I can't help feeling that leaving the part out was a mistake on the part of the Toyota factory, since I can see that it serves at least some purpose in terms of channelling the 5 cables from the wheel assembly into the clock spring (audio controls, Bluetooth controls, horn cable, airbag cable and cruise control cable. Without the part, these cables can move around easily (which probably caused the racket - remember all these cables move when the wheel rotates) and I can see that ease of movement possibly putting eventual strain on the cables and connectors over time. Even if part absence wasn't responsible for the rattle (though I think it was), I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable driving a car when I knew the cable for the airbag, for example, was not quite as secure without the part as it is with the part (which might be justification in itself for a recall). And if the clock spring were to wear prematurely because the part is missing, Toyota charge over $1,000 for a new one. Not cheap when you see springs for earlier models costing $50 on eBay.

Still, it's not for me to instigate an investigation, since I am neither a qualified mechanic, qualified engineer, nor do I know if Toyota deliberately leave the part out these days and whether doing so was "ok'ed by their engineers (but I certainly have much more peace of mind knowing my car now has the bracket).

Glad you have a new car and are happy with it. And I am glad I just bought the base model Corolla. Stuffed if I would want to blow more than $22,000 on any Toyota these days. I don't think Toyota are the same quality company they were even 8 years ago when Mum bought a Yaris. The car just feels cheap compared to earlier Toyotas and every time I do some servicing on it I come across certain things that just spell "cheap to manufacture" - a good case in point being the cover over the oil drain plug and filter cartridge. Rather than spend a few dollars making a proper cover they used a cheap thing that you bend over thus fatiguing the plastic each and every time you do it. Then there is the luggage compartment light bulb where you have spend an hour or so pulling the seats and rear trim all out of the car just to get at the bulb holder. What a stupid, idiotic design. Cheap for Toyota though since they know a light bulb is a consumable and not warrantable. Yep, these cars are now built with the dollar in mind above everything else. The sad bit is that I would happily have paid $5,000 more just to get a significantly better built and engineered car where things were better thought out and better materials used - even if it had no more features. Just so long as it also had all the parts it was meant to have. Seems you can't even get that with Toyota these days! I wonder if any other bits are missing!!??

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I'm not the only one disappointed with their corolla. Mine is a 2013 Ascent Sport and is the worst car I have ever owned. Mine had to have the CVT replaced after 2 months due to excessive vibration (which I was twice told was normal by my dealership). After getting Toyota head office involved they finally admitted something was wrong. The dash board rattles, the door panels are loose, the CVT drops the revs way too low which causes the motor to labour at 60km/hr which in turn causes a vibration through the steering wheel, when driving on a smooth free way the car feels like it's going over a corrugated road. I've had tyres changed, balanced, aligned, everything. To make it worse, I drove another corolla from the dealership and that had the same feeling (although not as bad as mine). Toyota have confirmed it is a "characteristic" of corollas. It is truly a terrible car. Cheap and nasty rubbish. Not that it affects Toyota at all, but NEVER will I buy another Toyota. I'm always sceptical when I read people bagging products on forums, but if you don't believe me, I will happily show you my receipts that show Toyota replaced the CVT on a new car (although it was done under warranty for free) and the other receipt showing they have tried to fix the many rattles in the dash. My only choice is to sell and lose a heap of cash or keep it and be angry every time i drive it.

• 2 months later...

Hello fellas,

I've been hunting the dashboard rattles myself for the past couple of months now. I believe I manage to find 2 root causes to the noise source.

The noise from the left portion of the dash is obviously the most annoying. Root cause - it's not the dash or whatever inside or even the front dash panels. The noise is coming from that f'kin plastic noise barrier plastic plate directly below the air-cond blower. Basically if you're seated in the co-driver's seat, where your feet is, just raise it upwards and you'll hit that piece of flap. I stuffed several small pieces of foam in-between the gaps so that the flap does not play.

On the right of the dash, I basically stuffed 2 long baby pillows from the underneath the steering column. That really helps to absorb some of the road harshness and engine noise too.

I would say that the 2 tweaks manage to reduce the total irritating noise up to 99% of the time. There's this 1% that's just once in a while when rolling over a cat's eye or some road bumps, the dash will still have a small amount of crack sound that's just ok for me.

cheers and happy tweaking.

PS: I'm so happy with my corolla now. It's just so silky smooth and quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

Wilkin,

I'm not quite sure which part under the dash on the left side you mean. On mine all I can see is a white nozzle type of extension underneath the heater blower outlet that is a secure but lose fit and that could certainly make noise, but I can't see anything else potentially noise-making on that side apart from the LED for the glovebox (which I have taped down with Gorilla tape).

As for those pillow on the right, just be careful where you put them because it sounds like you are talking about the cavity in which the driver's knee airbag sits. I'm not sure of the ramifications of blocking that with combustible materials such as pillows, etc.

My own driver's side dash rattle came back earlier this week out of the blue - and now worse than ever before. I'm stumped. I've probably put more hours into looking under that dash and prodding every single thing up there than anyone. I thought I had by now located everything that can possibly be lose, but yesterday I discovered that the back of the external rear view mirror adjustment control is a secure fit but a very lose one. Sufficiently lose that driving over a bump could conceivably cause a rattle. I've now put foam in there and of course the thing test drives in complete silence.

But I'm now pessimistic that I have solved the rattles. Actually, I am 99% sure they will just start up again tomorrow, next week, next month..whatever. Yesterday was about my 10th attempt since June to resolve the loud dash rattles on the driver's side and every time I think I've nailed it the rattles just start up again - each time even worse than the time before. It's honestly sounding like an ex-rental delivery van with a million kms on the clock or that a whole internal structural part of the dash is broken (but it is all seemingly "fine" under there). It probably sounds even worse than it is because mechanically and in road noise terms the car is extremely quiet.

I don't really have the resolve any more to keep chasing this. I now suspect the only way to have a hope of ridding these cars of their rattles is to completely disassemble the dash and re-build it from the ground up with noise suppression felt / foam on or around each and every clip, Krytox grease on every single internal mating surface and noise suppression foam in all the cavities apart from near the airbags. But even that is no guarantee of a fix and you could likely make it even worse yet again. Plus it won't resolve the squeaks in the steering wheel or the rattles from the clock spring. And you are still left with other parts of the car that whilst being a secure fit - have lots of free play in them so they rattle over bumps - seat belt adjusters, rear seat levers, interior dome light switches are good examples.

It really takes the shine off this car and turns it from something that you would have pride in to something that is annoying and you can't wait to get out of it. I would willingly have paid another $5,000 for a Corolla that was thoroughly engineered from the ground up to be squeak and rattle free even if it was otherwise completely identical in every way to the one currently sitting in my garage!

Edited by Rattle Rattleson