Custom Intake Box

Filtration will be the benefit of the K&N one. In general, a lot of pods don't filter as well as the oem filters, thus allowing for more dirt and dust to enter into the engine. For example, the Blitz and HKS pods don't filter much at all.

K&N has one of the best filters out there, although you should try a dry based one, such as apexi, as they are a lot easier to clean, and no need to coat the filter wth some oil thing, in the case of the K&N.

cais and sris generally give more power due to them sucking in more air. With sri's, most of the time you will be sucking in hot air from the engine unless it is completely sealed and has a cold air feed to it. Cais get there power from sucking in colder air, thus allowing more air to reach the engine.

I hope I explained it right..... If I'm wrong someone please correct me on this.

On your note about the price, I guess your paying for a filter that not only filters better than the generic one, but also the warranty....

Filtration will be the benefit of the K&N one. In general, a lot of pods don't filter as well as the oem filters, thus allowing for more dirt and dust to enter into the engine. For example, the Blitz and HKS pods don't filter much at all.

K&N has one of the best filters out there, although you should try a dry based one, such as apexi, as they are a lot easier to clean, and no need to coat the filter wth some oil thing, in the case of the K&N.

cais and sris generally give more power due to them sucking in more air. With sri's, most of the time you will be sucking in hot air from the engine unless it is completely sealed and has a cold air feed to it. Cais get there power from sucking in colder air, thus allowing more air to reach the engine.

I hope I explained it right..... If I'm wrong someone please correct me on this.

On your note about the price, I guess your paying for a filter that not only filters better than the generic one, but also the warranty....

Wow...for a newbie you know quite alot about filters. I mean I do understand that CAIs and SRIs purpose is of course to suck more air than the stock and restrictive air box. The thing that I'm still trying to comprehend is the filter and pods. I know that they filter out dirt, water etc...from getting into the engine. But if that's their purpose then why K&N are stating that when you have a K&N filter (Panel or Pod) it will give you some gains??? Because their less restrictive???

So again going back to my original question, should I just stick to my generic pod then...if it's going to do the same job as K&N??? And save $70?!?

I'm after gains...not the warranty or million kms??? IF K&N is better than TFI in terms of power gains then...can somethere PLEASE STAND and explain???

Different pods will offer different gains. It all depends on how restrictive the design of them are. Check out this website for more info. Unfortunately they dont test a generic one.....

Filter Test

Design and how the filter is placed in the car (eg sealed or unsealed) will ultimately decide how much you can gain.

The tests above, all the filters were set up exactly the same on the single car. so comparisons are pretty good

Edited by 7th Gen SX

Sorry I havent replied in a while guys....as mars said in NEED A HUG!!!

*jokes

anyway the direction I was heading was for the custom intake box/pipe/ram what ever 7th gen decides to do. BUT! before jumping in whole hog and spending 200$+ on a CAI/SRI why not do some testing to see where exactly the best gains are to be made on the factory box?

I have been wanting to do this for a while but unfortunatley I havent had the time :( Basically you make a home made manometer and test the pressure variances at 3 different areas of the intake system.

- before the airbox

- after the air filter

- after the MAF sensor

Measre the variances under idle, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full throttle, both stationary and on a 'SAFE' private testing road.

Once you have these figures you can see where the biggest gains to be made are, and then go ahead and customise the intake to suit ;)

*jokes

anyway the direction I was heading was for the custom intake box/pipe/ram what ever 7th gen decides to do. BUT! before jumping in whole hog and spending 200$+  on a CAI/SRI why not do some testing to see where exactly the best gains are to be made on the factory box?

I have been wanting to do this for a while but unfortunatley I havent had the time :( Basically you make a home made manometer and test the pressure variances at 3 different areas of the intake system.

- before the airbox

- after the air filter

- after the MAF sensor

Measre the variances under idle, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full throttle, both stationary and on a 'SAFE' private testing road.

Once you have these figures you can see where the biggest gains to be made are, and then go ahead and customise the intake to suit ;)

Do It!!!!! I want one... Too bad you drive a corolla..

I just disconnected the airbox intake tubing and replaced it with, nothing. Man what a difference it makes to airflow, the engine seems to breath much easier, though i'm yet to test it extensively. Just the hand infront of inlet whilst throttling before/after.

Of course, the resonator is now disconnected too, man, it sure is louder. Much more boomy.

But now I'm scared for my warranty guys... :o There's no chance I can damage anything is there?

Edited by Otaku

*jokes

anyway the direction I was heading was for the custom intake box/pipe/ram what ever 7th gen decides to do. BUT! before jumping in whole hog and spending 200$+  on a CAI/SRI why not do some testing to see where exactly the best gains are to be made on the factory box?

- before the airbox

- after the air filter

- after the MAF sensor

I'll look into it. Still researching a bit here and there in my spare time. Sounds like an idea though. First time of heard of manometers.... Im guessing they measure the air pressure? What would be the best way to link em up and where can I get these from?

Im getting heaps of good info here! Thanks guys

I just disconnected the airbox intake tubing and replaced it with, nothing. Man what a difference it makes to airflow, the engine seems to breath much easier, though i'm yet to test it extensively. Just the hand infront of inlet whilst throttling before/after.

Of course, the resonator is now disconnected too, man, it sure is louder. Much more boomy.

But now I'm scared for my warranty guys...  :o  There's no chance I can damage anything is there?

Can you take and pic and post it??? I want to see what you have done.

What resonator are you talking about??? And what do you mean by: 'Just the hand infront of inlet whilst throttling before/after???'

Take pics

I'll try and take some pics today if i get a chance but basically, you know the black tubing that runs from the airbox inlet down and around the headlamp? Yeah that=gone.

The tubing meets a white resevoir just infront of the wheel housing (i believe most people are running their CAI's down into there.), that white thing that is usually connected to the intake tubing is the resonator.

Basically acts to damp the vibration output at the induction system's natural frequency (resonance). Now that that's disconnected, at or above 3000rpm the induction system has a noticable booming noise. Mostly under WOT only though so I can live with it.

The hand test? Basically i would throttle the car at the throttle body whilst holding my hand infront of the intake tubing (before) then at the inlet to the airbox (after) and subjectively note the level of suction.

The system feels less restricted by the convoluted intake tubing that Toyota designed for quietness.

That's the intake snorkle/pipe.  The resonator is the white "bottle" below the intake, inside the quarterpanel behind the splash guard only on 1zz engined models.

So if you take the intake snorkle/pipe, then there's no need for the resonator white bottle??? Is there a way of taking the bottle out??? Would you make any difference in noise/air flow/power???

Bunnings warehouse... 20bucks 3meters long... range hood duct i think....

if ur gonna install that, u dun need to remove the white resonator bottle..

i reckon that u could shove a pod filter in to the duct... instant cold air intake with a bit of forced air...

Edited by DuGong