CAI Installation Tips

Well the TRD CAI's have finally arrived for the QLD boys Shaohaok, Stoopid Head and myself. B)

The instructions are well set out with clear pictures. But as with anything there is always something you find you could have done differently or was incorrect being USA-> AUS difference.

So is there anything you guys have come accross that you could pass on? :huh:

E - if your driving through water that deep....you are a GIT! :P and no you cant relocate the CAI its bent to go in one direction only

nik - that inc. the pod .....and what is that last sentence supposed to be? ( i think you mean what pod are we putting at the end??? if so then a K+N pod)

What i meant was when u get the box what comes in it? Do you get a filter with it or do you have to get one seperately?

The second part was what K+N or other brands, is it the cone left like that or is it a box?

AEM doesnt make cais for our sportivos.. they only have ones for the celica and their airfilter layout isnt the same as ours.. so TRD is the only choice next to a custom setup.. the custom setup might prove cheaper than the trd set...

Sorry enny mini you are wrong AEM, Cosmo Racing, INJEN and others do make them. They are made for the American Matrix XRS which basicaly uses the same floor pan steup as the Corolla. There is no true Sportivo Cold Air Intake as such. The Only place you can get the CAI is from the US in premade form. With Mods all CAI's above including the TRD unit will fit the Sportivo but there is differences between the US Setup and ours even though they are minor. Mind you when I installed mine it cause a bit of head scratching for a while. They have two VSV (vacum valves), we only have one. Hope this settles your confusion... :blink: :P :D

And yes NIKICH you do get a filter as well. But I have replaced mine and stewarts with a different type as it fits better and is easier to remove.

Shaohaok -> your more than welcome mate. Thx for lending me a hand also

Peekay -> thx for the pics of the vcv etc. helped out alot. and thx again for the phone support also

Installation went well. Thank *** I was at home and I had all my tools available.....otherwise it would have been difficult. Especially with one screw which got striped and i had to use some fancy multigrips.

I'd also like to thank Toyota for the full role of electrical tape which was hiding in near my air box when i took it out. I hope it was a 'free' extra

The sound now is nice  especially when going into lift. Shao and I tested it a few times on the highway home

All in all a good 1/2 days work

as from other thx post from Shaohaok

Peekay

Just saved myself around 400 bux with my cold air intake :D

i basically re configured the snorkle of the orginal box into the pocket where the TRD CAI goes and placed my pod in the pocket.

The box still remains - but that is the great thing - i cant wait to drive tonite when it suxs in all the cold air

So when people pop the bonnet all they will see is the stock box instead of TRD CAI piping a decieptive way to save a bit of cash

I may invest some money now into a better pod filter but ill see how my little simota one goes

Ill put some pics up soon

I'm trying to perhaps get a TRD CAI from the States and was wondering which one I should be looking for.

Is it the one that's made for the Matrix but not the for the S version? It says that it fits 2003 Corollas as well, but I guess we all know that it's slightly different over here.

e-gene corolla s is what you want. if americans are using matrix parts in corolla s that means these parts will work for you. please remember matrix is not a corolla but some parts are interchangeable.

i would go for a rampod because i know they suck harder.

Egene there are two part nos Part for XRS ends with 001. Standard corolla with 1zz motor ends in 002. If you don't have a Sportivo then order the 002.

Full part no is 00602-17803-002 for Corolla. Sportivo is 00602-17803-001. Hope this helps.

E - yes that is the CAI for our Matrix/Sportivo. The pipe is a 100 % fit. The bracket for the VCV has to be bent in a couple of places and another bracket which is near the fuse box needs to be cut and grinded back. Apart from that its a relativly easy install. (once you know how, and have called peekay a coupld of times ;) )