Huge oil leak!

I was driving to work this morning, noticed a long thick oil trail leading to my car and thought "hope that's not me..." I then had a closer look and sure enough it was! I checked the oil level and it was pretty low, so I stopped at a servo and put some in and drove it to the dealer. Just as the low pressure warning came on..

I hope it's nothing major, the leak is coming from the left side of the engine. I certainly didn't hit anything to pierce the sump and Im generally easy on the throttle so I'm not sure what it may be..

Wish me luck guys!

• Like 1

OK so they got back to me, its the oil cooler pipe and its due to wear and tear. No engine damage found- thank goodness but the damage stands at $1500 including the 165k service which i thought was a bit much even for a Toyota dealership. Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks guys!

An Oil cooler pipe wears out due to wear and tear! What is it made of rubber?

Imagine if we lost a brake line or fuel line due to wear and tear when your cars done around 165K

be cars crashing and catching on Fire everywhere. : /

Cheers

Is it related to this? http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5th-6th-generation-2002-2006-2007-2011/285250-attn-all-2gr-fe-v6-owners-update-oil-hose-replacement-pg-23-a.html

Should have been fixed for free under warranty/recall. Yours may be a different problem, but check, if it's the same issue I would lean very hard on them to replace it free of charge (in fact it sounds like something that shouldn't break under wear and tear anyway, lean on them either way).

Edited by Vent

lol @ wear and tear of an oil pipe! did some one say recall?

Not all oil cooler lines are hard-pipe - a short rubber section could be seeing frequent heat cycles (as the flow to the cooler opens and closes) as well as being exposed to the elements living up under the front bar, so I could see it perishing (just not so quickly)

hence wear and tear of an oil PIPE....... how ironic.........

Like Justin says

Imagine if we lost a brake line or fuel line due to wear and tear when your cars done around 165K

be cars crashing and catching on Fire everywhere. : /

I agree..... some ppl pay 50k+ for these cars.... if I was paying maybe a few k for a sh:tter car then i'd cop it.

Read the thread fully. I was paying out on the terminology ,

They are using the word "pipe" instead of hose.

This might get them out of the recall. Not sure.... but I did say "did some one say recall"

I won't appol for being sharp witted tho :D

They just called me back to ask how it was all going and to advise me there may be a few tiny drops of oil - but thats just excess from the mess the leak made. By the smell of things they used a lot of degreaser haha. All in all, good service from Chaddy Toyota.

• Like 2

The leak is coming from the timing chain cover, above the power steering pump, and up against the firewall. The quote they gave included removing all the covers and renewing the sealant.

I got a quote to fix my oil leak, which the engine needs to be dropped out, at $3800 ! I couldn't afford that !

Did they give you a detailed report? Parts required, etc? Also what mileage is your car on- Its hard to believe you've got an oil leak that's not related to the oil cooler pipe?

• Like 1

I got a quote to fix my oil leak, which the engine needs to be dropped out, at $3800 ! I couldn't afford that !

Did they give you a detailed report? Parts required, etc? Also what mileage is your car on- Its hard to believe you've got an oil leak that's not related to the oil cooler pipe?

I had that oil pipe replaced under warranty early in the piece. It has 316k on it now. It was bought to my attention when the new transmission was being installed. That was 110K ago

OK tell me more about the NEW transmission that was installed at 200K that doesn't sound promising?

How much did it cost ? and why did it let go?

I done my trans in the Old Vienta at 280K

Ran the 2004 V6 Altice to 290K with out any problems but i didn't know of the actual condition it was in.

Anyway back to the Timing chain cover can you see the leak with a mirror and torch?

I just bodged the rear cam seal on me old Pajero with some RTV sealer a mirror, torch and a rag soaked in degreaser! working okay so far, problem with the Paj if you let the leak go! it fills the starter motor with Oil and then lets you down when your on Holidays...