Turbo upgrade

rodneyf

I have a 95 dual cab 2.8ltr and would like to know if I can replace the motor with a 3ltr turbo easily and is it worth it or should I just reco my 2.8ltr and fit a turbo.

How much difference is there between the 2.8ltr turbo and the 3ltr turbo?

Any help will be appreciated, my motor has done 300K and I would like to keep the motor I know and spend the money having the reco done properly but don't know if it is worth it.

Rod

The L series motors have iron heads, and will not take the heat generated by extra power beyond that of the aspirated 5L, and sometimes not even that. It appears "normal" to replace a head abt 250000km, (due to overheating?). This may just be normal wear and tear, or caused by cooling system failure. It is "normal" to only turbo the 2.4, as it has a better chance of long term survival. It ends up with abt 10% less peak power and torque than a 5L, but performance under abt 1800rpm loaded is poor, as the turbo isn't working well. Intercooling is not necessary. There are several turbos you can use-the C20 seems good enough-just make sure you have a turbo timer fitted & working, and your turbo is a later model, water or oil cooled specifically. Plain bearing turbos are inferior, ball or roller bearing ones NEED an oil flow restriction to maintain oil pressure in the engine. Toyota turbo kits contained a thermally operated motor idle overspeed, and a boost compensator on the fuel pump to get the extra fuel into the cylinders. The boost compensator is preferrable to just opening up the fuel adjustment screw. High quality, perhaps synthetic oils are essential on turboed motors. NB Turbos are NOT suited to short-haul, domestic running, or heavy, slow traffic. The 5L is a better choice there. NB the 5L has a different superglow arrangement, you will need to transfer your existing one if a 5L is used, and swap glowplugs. Write down the changes and pass it on to the next owner!!!!! Exhaust modifications are needed with a turbo. NB you may need a later gearbox to handle the extra torque, esp if you go 5L.

More later, as you request. beware clutch differences.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 96 model and when i bought it recently it had already had the transplant to the 3 litre motor with an aftermarket turbo but they did change the gearbox also. it all seems to fit just fine but i never drove one with the 2.8l but now having this im quite impressed with the power it makes especially as ive come from a v8. i think your choice may come down to money as from the receipts ive seen from my lux its a pricey swap to do.