RT40 Corona build. Meet Mildred

Boxhead

Hi all,

I am about to start on my next vehicle project, This one is for my wife and has been nicknamed "Mildred" (Because one of my cars is named George)
This is the first Toyota passenger car I have ever owned, so I may be asking lots of questions, and happy to hear advise.
I have so far purchased 2 Coronas (I have not laid eyes on either one yet), and my knowledge on model details is very minimal (I can tell a white one from a blue one).

I am based in Alice Springs and after much asking around it became apparent that there probably is not one of these around town.
I fly to Brisbane this Saturday to pick up the first one (the one the car will be built from) and in December I go to Melbourne to pic up the "spare car".

Here is a picture of the Brisbane car. I was told it is a 1970 model (I dont doubt this but can anyone confirm)

Dsc_0806_zpsfb848c96.jpg

And here is the Melbourne donor car. Can anyone confirm a year model?

T2eC16ZHJHMFHgTHBPnBSZE1k6F60_12_zpsd56e

As you can see I have plenty of work ahead of me, and we are going for a color change, the base of the build (Brizzy car) has a tidy white interior, the exterior color is at this point going to be either a light powder blue (matches George being Fountain Blue 1971 Valiant) or another possabilty is Holdens "Strike me Pink" from the LJ Torana range (matches Mildred's (from TV show) pink lipstick)

As the build happens I will add updates here for all to see.
Does anyone have tips on where to find items like body rubbers, lenses etc?

Cheers all, David.

• 7 months later...

The car in Melbourne appears to be 1968 the same as mine in Melb. Im still driving mine but have 18 days of rego left and will have to dispose of having bought new!

Ashton

Oh wow, I forgot this thread here.
Well what has happened.....

The Brisbane car was fully dismantled, sadly there is a lot more rust than first thought, so I was then contemplating building all on the Bendigo car.
Whilst I was pulling the Bendigo car apart, another car came on the market down in Clare valley of SA, a deal was stuck and I bought the car from a few photos.
The car is a 67 (thats a good thing as this is the same year as my wife and her RT40 first car), It was a one owner and had been put into the garden shed in 1986 (confirmed by last rego label), the owner was getting a little too old to drive the car and it "disappeared" Family just assumed he had sold the car, when he passed away they refound the car in the shed.

Here is the Brisbane car during dismantle.
IMG_6524Medium_zps8728ea04.jpg

IMG_6537Medium2_zpsc726197f.jpg

IMG_6542Medium_zpsf49bae44.jpg

I could see a lot of rust under the plenum cover, so I cut this off to get a look, wasnt a pretty sight.
IMG_6601Medium_zpsa396a0ab.jpg

So I then started stripping out the 68 Bendigo car, much better under the plenum but more general rust etc.
IMG_6606Medium_zps8f6f8d35.jpg

Thats when the 67 car popped up, and I bought it.
This car is now the basis of the build, it will get the white interior, and floor shifted gearbox.
I have a disk brake front end to put in, and been collecting a few NOS parts when I see them.
IMG_6714Medium_zpsf141e374.jpg

IMG_6728Medium_zpsc7fdff9c.jpg

I also bought a twin carb setup that will be fitted to the rebuilt engine.
IMG_6954_zps89ca14ba.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know someone interested im buying an RT40?

I have 8 days of rego left on mine and dont want to pay it one more time. Genuine one owner but needs a devoted restorer. Runs so reliably every time.post-35744-0-91661500-1403223297_thumb.j

I think there will be some tears believe it or not when the day arrives.(28th June) Would be such a shame to go to scrap. I do have one accentric idea to cut off 300 mm of front and rear and mount them both sides of my stairwell walls?? My family undersatands but thinks Im crazy all the same. Im sure those on here will "get it".

Take lots of pics of Mildred!! very interested in your project.

For your interest do you know of the paint product known as "fish oil"?

Its amazing for internal rust. just paint it on to rust without any otheraction to stop rust in its tracks!!!

Its a great product for severely rusting steel. I use it on such things as streel trailer in weather, wheelbarror etc. Its such an easy way to cope with severe rust!! some brands can be painted over.

Hi. What I know of fish oil is it is a thickish liquid in a can and is a light brownish colour. It also comes in a spray can and both smell for ages of fish. I don't know of any coloured like paint. It would have to dry like paint as fish oil remains tacky or the one I know does. I reckon the front of the car on the wall would look great and a fantastic talking point. I've seen Holden back ends, seat made into a lounge. Something else to consider. Tocag.

These days the fish oils are without fish smell. I would imagine some still smell and its a hang around smell thats for sure. The two I use are from "Wattyl" and "white knight" paints. one comes in a litre tin the other a plastic container. When stored over time the plastic one gets severely "sucked in" as guess some solvents are lost. One can afford to leave a brush unwashed for week or two and still be able to wash it out.

They dont dry for ages and that is the secret of their penetration deep into rust crevices. "fisholene" is a proprietry name of one.

I hve used them with a syringe to treat rust under van window rubbers and other hard to get locations. I would just love to splash some about those Coronas in the pics.

They certainly stay tacky for a long time. Some can be painted over after a primer but do not have any pigments in them. They are a light brown as you say. In the past I have painted over them (wheelbarrows, trailers), but they would not be suitable for any automotive finishes only domestic enamels.

Study the details if interested. After they dry somewhat, the rust takes on a dark colour. Ive used it in the boot of my corona and around any rust. The beauty is just straight onto the rust as it is!!!

Its not that thick, much more runny than polyurethane varnish. Bit like alight machine oil? Just a drip on rust spreads out an amazing amount. I use it a lot in a seaside location on rusting metal.

Ash.
What sort of coin are you chasing, also is it Auto or manual?
Floor or column?
Looks to be a 67 so most likely column shift.

What color interior etc etc?
Any pics would be great.

Ash. When I was younger I would take the door trims off and paint inside the door and my wife used to hate me as the car stunk for ever. The doors didn't rust but she sure stunk, the car that is. I used to take the vinyl floor up and lay carpet or under felt under it. I didn't have much trouble with rust but the cars got a good hose up and under every time we visited the beach. This brings back good memories. What about a Corona Lounge? Cheers Tocag.

My RT40 is June 1968 ( bought)Manual column shift. Red upholstery in poor condition.

Was painted Berger steel grey. Purchase price $2068. loan repayment $49/mth. My wage then $28/week..work it out, I was orphaned the same year?? . I also used to wash undervthe guards every time I washed it. Rotated the tires religiously, sprayed Selleys RP7 down doors and many places. There was a recall on the model about 1969 for the free replacement of a suspension piece. I think it may have been the idler arm and I had a warranty claim early for a sluggish and overheating wipoer motor?

I have recorded everything since new and all petrol oil and expenses. Not acurate because during the years I had a wife that drove it also, she was less than diligent with fuel purchases??? Not one piece of the car I havent had apart, except the basic engine block!

post-35744-0-60756900-1403267914_thumb.jpost-35744-0-19602500-1403267917.jpgpost-35744-0-51853300-1403267918.jpgpost-35744-0-77918200-1403267921_thumb.jpost-35744-0-22015200-1403267928_thumb.jpost-35744-0-92697000-1403267929.jpg