2006 TD Hilux hesitating (flybywire?)

minyabinya

Hey everyone, recently my 2006 TD hilux has been experiencing an intermittent issue.

It'll be idling (generally at lights) and when I accelerate to take off, it's extremely sluggish and the engine doesn't rev up.

The engine sounds (to me) fine, but I'm no mechanic. Other than that issue, it very occasionally will stall whilst idling.

I'm assuming these are a flybywire setup, is it possible that there's some electrical issue going on causing a delay or a complete screw up at the pedal, or am I potentially looking at something more sinister?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers!

Turbo diesels don't have a throttle body (the one in the intake track is actually for use by the EGR system and engine shutdown. Has no affect on acceleration as in traditional petrol engines).

Being 2006, you could either have a heavily clogged intake (caused by EGR system, very common issue for sludge to build up and chock the intake air path) or possibly a buggered MAP sensor or map sensor filter. These can cause issues without throwing an error code.

Start by removing your intake just past the butterfly valve to where the EGR actuator sits and have a look at how much sludge is in there. If it's pretty full you should probably remove your entire intake intake including the lower manifold to properly clean it out. If it looks clean, give your MAP sensor filter (little canister about 30mm high with 2 vacuum hoses, clipped on to the intercooler on the passenger side) a clean out with some petrol and compressed air. Put it back the way you took it off.

2 things to get you started.

Hey Steven, thanks heaps for that info mate.

I'm pretty handy with petrol engines but with diesels I'm clueless.

This afternoon after making this post, I was at some lights and hit the throttle and the hilux hesitated and bunny hopped heaps.

I'm hoping you're right and it's the map sensor filter or something I take related.

Just strikes me as strange that the issue so intermittent, a dirty AFM on a petrol car plays up all the time.

Anyway, the way it hesitates leads me to think electrical so what you've said makes perfect sense. I'll crack the contact cleaner out and have a squizz at those parts.

I've got to do the timing belt on it so I'll do it so in one go.

Thanks again!

Hey Steven, thanks heaps for that info mate.

I'm pretty handy with petrol engines but with diesels I'm clueless.

This afternoon after making this post, I was at some lights and hit the throttle and the hilux hesitated and bunny hopped heaps.

I'm hoping you're right and it's the map sensor filter or something I take related.

Just strikes me as strange that the issue so intermittent, a dirty AFM on a petrol car plays up all the time.

Anyway, the way it hesitates leads me to think electrical so what you've said makes perfect sense. I'll crack the contact cleaner out and have a squizz at those parts.

I've got to do the timing belt on it so I'll do it so in one go.

Thanks again!