Hiace 2005 - Injector driver replacement - hours?

Nathan Balchin

Hi

After a recent water inundation my Toyota dealer told me the ECU was fried, replacement would be $1500 + 1 or 2 hours labour, however the part is non-returnable. I challenged their diagnosis, I'm not mechanically minded but my job is heavily reliant on being able to troubleshoot and within a couple of hours I went back to them and asked a couple of pertinent questions.

Another business day later, I go in and see the foreman, yes they've done all the testing needed and they certain but if I insist they'll also check the injector driver, which is behind the wheel well and where water would have gone - apparently wouldn't matter though as the unit is sealed and weatherproof.

6 hours later a phone call to say they've done some tests and the injector driver does indeed appear to have gotten wet and isn't working. No apologies, maybe I made them feel stupid? Ooops.

My Question - how much labour would you expect to replace the injector driver? They've quoted $1100 for the part (which is high, base price on toyodiy.com is $650!!!) and $700 for labour (about 6-7 hours at local Australian rates?) - I see that there are a few people online suggesting 4 hours to replace the injectors, I would have thought the IDM would have been half that?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts...