Just got my new Ascent

beenet

Just got delivery of my new Ascent last week and have been enojoying it !

Got a few Q's to ask:

:unsure: what engine oil do they use during the first 1k service? do we get to opt for synthetics? i know i should be asking my dealer instead but would like to get some feedback from other Corolla owners, and also on the oil suitability. becoz i intend to keep this lil car for long.

:unsure: if gear oil (mine's a manual) change is not included in the first 1k service, do you think it is advisable to request for that? the reason being i find that the gearshift requires some effort (esp. the 1st gear).

:unsure: lastly, do u guys use premium fuel with the car? (i got my car without the user manual becoz of some mess-up by the dealer, anyway, i should be getting it next wk)

Thx in advance!

Welcome

Toyota will only use their standard oils ( I think they use 10w-30 on VVTi engines) with no option for Synthetics however you can supply your own oil for them to use.

Toyota won't change engine or gearbox oil at the first service unless you pay for it.

It's a syncromesh gearbox so first gear will always be stubborn, particularly when the car is already in motion. Rev-Road speed matching does help though.

Unless you've been crunching your box on every shift it really shouldn't be necessary to change it at 1000km.

Enjoy the new car :D

Edit: oh yeah, I've always run mine on 98 octane because the way I drive I use about 7.5L/100km so in the long run I'm not paying much more but my engine benefits from a better fuel. But it's not necessary to, it's only my personal preference.

Edited by IZZ-FE

Best to check with your dealer on oil options, or take your own favourite in!

A lot of Toyota dealers use the Toyota "Original" VVT-i oil, which is simply a repacked 10W40 Caltex Havoline, according to my dealer.

They won't change the gearbox oil at the 1K service, but certainly ask them about the shift if you're worried about it. My last car (Starlet) had a sticky-ish gearbox for the first 1 or 2K, but it gradually got better as time and use went on.

Everything that ZZE-FE said.

There's no need to run on PULP, but it will help keep your engine cleaner.

Filling it once a month with PULP will help keep it that little bit cleaner/smoother.

There shouldn't be any dramas to need an oil change at 1000km.

When you say problems shifting into 1st, do you mean shifting from 2nd into 1st?

If so, that's normal as ZZE-FE mentioned. If you find it necessary to do it, just tap the throttle a bit and you'll find it easier to shift.

10w30 is the standard engine oil they use on Ascents/Conquests/Levins

Everything that ZZE-FE said.

There's no need to run on PULP, but it will help keep your engine cleaner.

Filling it once a month with PULP will help keep it that little bit cleaner/smoother.

There shouldn't be any dramas to need an oil change at 1000km.

When you say problems shifting into 1st, do you mean shifting from 2nd into 1st?

If so, that's normal as ZZE-FE mentioned. If you find it necessary to do it, just tap the throttle a bit and you'll find it easier to shift.

10w30 is the standard engine oil they use on Ascents/Conquests/Levins

Sorry, yes, the Toyota oil is 10w30, my bad.

Its worth trying PULP and comparing to how the car runs on ULP ... I know our wagon runs better on Ultimate than it does on normal ULP, and the fuel savings more than outweigh the price difference. Some cars it makes no difference, but its worth a go!

im sure its magntec!

i just got delivery of my Levin and its so hot!

Yep, it's Castrol Magnatec. That's what they use if we don't supply them with anything.

Nice.. what colour? Pics? :)

Yeah, some dealers use Castrol products, but our dealer uses the Toyota VVTi oil, which is 10w30 (Magnatec is 10w40, according to the Castrol website).

the diffrence?

I guess just a slight difference in viscosity, plus the Magnatec does that thing where it sticks to engine parts ... funny, its the oil that Castrol recommends, but I'm pretty sure previous comments on this forum suggest its not so good.

But hey, if that's what your dealer is using, then he must be prepared to back it with warranty, so its all good! :D

Congrats on the new Ascent!

U'll soon find its the best of the models (xcept that i hope u picked up the safety pack along the way), its the lightest! and saves you money for bling bling!

Pics? Pics?

Thx for all replies :)

My gearshift problem is with getting from neutral -> 1st. I see you guys use the term 'crunchy' and I think mine feels like that.

Abt gear oil... I am just imagining that a new gearbox would have some very tiny metal particles floating in the oil.. dislodged by grinding gears. So, a gear oil change at 1k service might help.

Hmm.. after the 1k service, when's next? 15k? If the 2nd service is 10k apart, then I am thinking abt bringing in my own Mobil-1 10W30 than to use the Magnetec, which I believe is mineral

Your next service will be 10,000. Unless you get the 5000 oil change done.

Remember, the 1000 is only an inspection, not a service.

use premium fuel every 4th time i fill up to clean the engine,

never drive my car under 1/4 tank

gonna get my fuel tank cleaned every 20k kms or so

Same here.. but I usually let ULP run for about a month, then I alternate between Vortex95 and 98, then let that run in for about 2 or 3 fills (or until I'm outta money :lol: ).

Good thing about Caltex? My sister works in the HO in Sydney so I get 25% off everytime I fill! :ph34r:

The oil change at every 5000 isn't necessary if you want to save money.

It's good to get it done (or do it yourself), if you want to keep your car that extra bit crispy. :)

Most modern cars these days only REQUIRE a service every 10,000/6 months and can live without the recommended oil change.

Thx, SuiCid3.

That's what I thought I'd like to do.. Will check out at K-mart to see how much a 4l pack Mobil 1 cost in Australia. (I am new to Aus actually..)

My wife drove the car and hit the road kerb last weekend *ouch* *ouch* :( , I dunno if it caused any damage to the suspension... What do I tell the service guy?

Thx, SuiCid3.

That's what I thought I'd like to do.. Will check out at K-mart to see how much a 4l pack Mobil 1 cost in Australia. (I am new to Aus actually..)

My wife drove the car and hit the road kerb last weekend *ouch* *ouch* :( , I dunno if it caused any damage to the suspension... What do I tell the service guy?

Welcome to Australia. :)

Best to tell them the truth so they know what to look for. It could be just a small surface problem (bent rim), it could be much, much worse (suspension, driving arm, possibly diff, etc etc).

Edited by SuiCid3

Thx, SuiCid3.

where u from?

Thx, SuiCid3.

where u from?

Malaysia :)