ZRE update oil filter tool..

laker06

Hi guys, hope you can help.. my zre is the update model with the stupid oil filter container that has the filter inside it...

I bought a "tool" off ebay that should fit over the container and spin it off. The tool is practically impossible to fit properly, and just comes off when I apply pressure to it... the tool is marked 65/14 is this the right one for the corolla ??? and does anyone have any tips to remove and replace this stupid thing safely and reliably ?? thanks in advance guys :help:

Oookay.. I'm using the shiny pressed steel tool, which is obviously nfg. So I've ordered a cast aluminium one from UK( $17), and hope it does the job.. if not I'll have to shell out $50 for the genuine Toyota tool . Can't believe I'm the only one having issues with these stupid canisters...

Hey laqker06,

Go Genuine.

I bought this one from the UK on Ebay too and it wont fit over the black plastic holder.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Draper-22490-Toyota-Oil-Filter-Replacement-Tool-/171037107843?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d29b2683&_uhb=1

Seller refunded me the money which was cool.

Genuine cost me about $33 (trade price) from Toyota.

Fits perfect.

It has a 1/4 inch drive so you need a 1/4 inch ratchet handle or adapter.

Cheers

Cheers Rolla02, I really appreciate your advice.. I'll get the genuine tool today... still cant believe Toyota have done this though, a tiny filter inside a PLASTIC container, anyway thanks again Rolla02...

Oookay..Thanks again Rolla02..I bought the Toyota one today, and did the deed this afternoon, so easy with the right tool.

Before the car had its first service, I painted a small red line across the canister, and onto the housing, so that I wouldn't have to torque it up every time.. just needing to align the lines, assuming the torque had been correct when the engine was assembled.

I was interested to note the the spring clip clicked and engaged exactly as the lines were lined up. I'm now wondering if it's really necessary to torque it up if the spring automatically clicks in at the right torque anyway.. ??

Edited by laker06

That is very tempting..have you actually bought and used these ??

I see the part # is different to the 04152-37010 thats sold here.. but it does look identical....

I'll buy today... and thanks for the heads up !!!

Edited by laker06

I've bought a 10 pack and they fit no problem. They're made for the 2zr fe motor.

Compare it side by side with locally bought and they're definitely identical.

Both made in Thailand and come with the O ring.

Cheers

God !! this seller is freakin amazing.. just 45 minutes after I bought and paid .. I had an ebay email saying the item had been posted, complete with a tracking number.. 45 minutes ! now you can't complain about that, can you..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey laqker06,

Go Genuine.

I bought this one from the UK on Ebay too and it wont fit over the black plastic holder.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Draper-22490-Toyota-Oil-Filter-Replacement-Tool-/171037107843?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d29b2683&_uhb=1

Seller refunded me the money which was cool.

Genuine cost me about $33 (trade price) from Toyota.

Fits perfect.

It has a 1/4 inch drive so you need a 1/4 inch ratchet handle or adapter.

Cheers

Rolla02.. I cut the whole front off the Draper one (where the lugs and lip are) leaving it smooth like the Toyota one is... and guess what ??? IT FITS PERFECTLY !!!, yeah a bit late now, but if you do that at least you'll have a spare you can use...