Engine upgrade

Lillux

Hey guys need a few ideas on what I can do in the way of engine upgrades for my hilux it currently has a 4y and I want some thing with a bit more power but with similar fuel efficientcy

Sad to say, but the relationship between fuel consumption and power output is predictable and pretty fixed, and can only be varied by changing fuels or motor efficiencies. Your average mechanical injection diesel can produce 3.3KWHr/L of fuel. Common rail types can get 3.7kwhr/L. Petrol motors will get abt 3.0 KWhr/L or worse-depending. LPG is abt 2.5KWHr/L, but because it costs less, it's still economical fuel, plus its cleaner burn benefits. Warning: LPG (and particularly Hydrogen) burn very quickly when mixed with air and ignited. At low engine speeds the ignition shock on the big end might be compromising, let alone what a gas leak might cause. If fire is a serious risk, (like on a boat) then choose diesel fuel. It's much harder to ignite and burns slowly. Gas on a boat is dangerous. Watch the news-you'll often see decks blown off and boats burned to waterline, more often in spring with new owners. tell me the fuel type and the fuel consumption per hour, & I can tell you how much max power it's producing. You can have power or economy, but not both together--Firezone, Hyclone etc does NOT work. IE it's not used in racing motorcycles-because it has no advantage. 100yrs of experimentation hasn't thrown up any magical performance or economy enhancing agents, and I'll bet they've tried everything. Maths doesn't lie, it's all physics and chemistry, utterly predictable these days. as the man says, "There's no substitute for cubes."

Edited by Manxman

Hi kyle,the most common engine upgrade for older hiluxes would the 3.8v6 commodore engine swap,they offer a load more power and actually better fuel economy,but you will need the adabtor kit,marks adabtor kit makes one for the hilux,another option is drop a later hilux engine ,like the 22r-2.4, or the even later 3rz,2.7 both are very reliable engines,especially the 3rz,2.7,im not sure if you will need a adaptor kit for these two engines,theres a bit of info other forums such 4wd action and hilux net about some of these engine upgrades.

I heard the absolute best engine to chuck in is the 1uz,4.0v8 engine out of a lexus,but im not sure of the cost and how much work required.

• 3 weeks later...

When the diesel motor in my 1991 Hilux 4x4 decided that it didn't want the 4th piston anymore and threw it on the M5 one Sunday morning .. I decided right then and there to NEVER have a 4 cylinder diesel again !!!!!

So I went for the Ecotec V6 .. now don't get me wrong I HATE Holdens but the marry up was perfect .. The extra power was brilliant for everything from being able to beat the ***** in the right lane at a set of Traffic lights to going bush and climbing all over rocks.

But there is a down fall and it's all in the gear box .. Marks adapters does have the conversion plate for V6 motor to hilux box (I actually got mine from Dello's in Sydney because 1 I lived in Sydney and 2 they were cheaper :blush:) .. But the Luxy box just can't handle it .. I went through 4 boxes in 2 years .. You can go a Dyno truck box (Again Marks adapters has the conversion kit) but the box alone was around $2k - $2 1/2K then the conversion kit on top of that :blink: .. But honestly it's the only way to go if you're looking at the Ecotec V6.

Have fun which ever way you go ^_^