Air Conditioner Leaking

Geoshell

Hi Folks, I have a 2005 100 series Landcruiser with a leaking air conditioner, it leaks on to the passenger side foot well, My local Toyota dealer is not sure how to fix it, Has anyone else has this problem, it so, how can we fix it. <_< <_<

• 8 years later...

The problem is not a blocked drain like everyone seems to say. It's a perished seal on the bottom of the condenser housing. There is a seal on the bottom of the condenser housing that prevents water dripping back into the footwell. It's a fairly easy job to replace the factory seal with a strip of dense foam or rubber or anything similar. Remove outer and inner glove box (4 screws) then remove all the screws holding the front cover on the condenser housing (about 8 screws). Also remove 1 bolt holding the dash skin to the metal frame so you can pull the skin back to more easily remove the front cover. Once that is removed you will see the damaged factory seal and can easily remove it. Then just cut a strip of rubber or foam and insert it into the little U shaped channel. 

Notes:
1. Clean channel out with a paper towel and a screw driver if dirty.
2. You will need to loosen the wires in front of the condenser cover to make it easier to remove. Cut the zip-ties and replace went finished.
3. you may need to unclip some electrical connections, again this is for easier removal of the cover. They come on and off quite easily though.
4. Job should take around 30 mins. Took me 40 mins with no idea what I was doing.

Leak fixed, piece of cake.

• 4 weeks later...

hi i have a 79 series dual cab that seems to be losing gas, replaced the condenser, valves etc , but get it topped up and only lasts a couple of days.  180,000 km

any suggestions 

20 hours ago, rob webster said:

hi i have a 79 series dual cab that seems to be losing gas, replaced the condenser, valves etc , but get it topped up and only lasts a couple of days.  180,000 km

any suggestions 

Hey Rob, probably better to have started your own thread so your thread doesn't conflict with the posts before yours.

Anyways, I have to ask if the person "topping" up the refrigerant had a proper look into it rather than keep topping it up.

Was there a leak test conducted ? Why was the condenser replaced ? When you valves, what exactly do you mean ? There is a TX valve, but it's only a singular item otherwise known as an expansion valve. Was this faulty too ? If so, how did you come to that conclusion ?

Being a '79 model I would assume it's been retrofitted to run with modern day automotive refrigerant. O-ring seals can dry out over time and will cause leakage if the A/C isn't used for a long time. The oil which circulates within the system cannot keep the seals lubricated and as a consequence, can dry or crack. You really need to pressure test the system and spray your connections with soapy water or alternatively get your tech to inject some dye. The dye will be visible where a leak is present.
That's where I'd be starting.