Toyota Formula 1 Team

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nore did he need to... to be fair, every car that Massa overtook was 1.5 or more seconds a lap slower then him so I would expect nothing less then what he did. He himself managed to pass the Renaults and Heidfeld's BMW in the pit strategy too and not on track.

Massa would be the driver of the day (IMO) if he had got passed Kubica and put some pressure on Hamilton for 3rd.

It's good to see Kimi and Alonso showing whos boss in their respective teams ;) (although i like Hamilton better :P )

• 2 weeks later...

Kimi has won pole position.

Meanwhile Hamilton has had a heavy crash :o

ky4O2SorpXk

An explanation of what occured link

He has however already been given the OK to race tomorrow, so no one will be worse off in the tipping.

The grid;

1 6 Kimi Räikkönen, Ferrari

2 1 Fernando Alonso, McLaren-Mercedes

3 5 Felipe Massa, Ferrari

4 9 Nick Heidfeld, BMW

5 10 Robert Kubica, BMW

6 15 Mark Webber, Red Bull-Renault

7 4 Heikki Kovalainen, Renault

8 12 Jarno Trulli, Toyota

9 11 Ralf Schumacher, Toyota

10 2 Lewis Hamilton, McLaren-Mercedes

11 16 Nico Rosberg, Williams-Toyota

12 17 Alexander Wurz, Williams-Toyota

13 3 Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault

14 8 Rubens Barrichello, Honda

15 23 Anthony Davidson, Super Aguri-Honda

16 22 Takuma Sato, Super Aguri-Honda

17 7 Jenson Button, Honda

18 19 Scott Speed, STR-Ferrari

19 18 Vitantonio Liuzzi, STR-Ferrari

20 14 David Coulthard, Red Bull-Renault

21 20 Adrian Sutil, Spyker-Ferrari

22 21 Markus Winkelhock, Spyker-Ferrari

Edited by SuperDave

After rain scrambled the European GP at the Nurburgring on Sunday, resulting in the race being red-flagged, Felipe Massa (Ferrari) took the lead on the tenth lap.

The heavens opened on lap 2 of the European Grand Prix at the Nürburgring and most of the cars pirouetted off the track, resulting in the deployment of the Safety Car to clear all the debris.

After two laps of dangerous conditions, during which cars were aquaplaning off the track and unable to even keep up with the speed of the Safety Car, the race was red-flagged.

All of the cars except for Marcus Winkelhock (in his first F1 race) started on the grid on slick tyres. Winkelhock chose to start from the pit lane after opting for intermediate tyres after the warm-up lap.

As the cars started the race, pole man Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrari) got away cleanly in the lead, while second-placed Fernando Alonso (McLaren-Mercedes) and Felipe Massa in the second Ferrari, had a big dice down to the first corner. Massa got ahead, but Alonso came back at him, and then as the field poured through the first corner, the rain came down and cars lost traction. The two BMW Saubers of Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica collided and Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes) was caught up in the collision, ending up with a punctured rear tyre which was hit by Heidfeld's front wing.

Hamilton had a huge crash during qualifying on Saturday and was given tenth place on the grid, and had already made up six places by the first corner before being doomed to a long and slow first lap back to the pits.

Räikkönen continued to lead, but behind, cars started to spin off the track at every corner. And it became obvious that they would all pit at the end of the first lap.

Räikkönen completely missed the chicane at the end of the back straight, but then turned into the pit lane, but he could not brake in the pit lane and skidded back out onto the main straight and had to complete another lap on slick tyres. Everyone else except Winkelhock pitted for intermediate tyres, and at the end of the second lap, Marcus Winkelhock, in his first-ever Formula One race, found himself in the lead!

Massa and Alonso began a dice for the lead, but conditions were deteriorating and it quickly became more important to survive than to fight.

No fewer than six cars speared off into the gravel in turn 1 after overestimating the amount of grip available, one even colliding softly with a tractor that was already clearing cars. The Safety Car was deployed but the circuit was now so water-logged that the F1 cars could not even maintain the pace of the Safety Car, and race officials red-flagged the race.

The cars formed up again on the dummy grid as follows:

1 Winkelhock

2 Massa

3 Alonso

4 Webber

5 Coulthard

6 Kovalainen

7 Räikkönen

8 Wurz

9 Barrichello

10 Fisichella

11 Kubica

12 Schumacher

13 Sato

14 Trulli

15 Heidfeld

16 Davidson

17 Hamilton

The race restarted behind the Safety Car, which took them around for three 'sighting laps'. The new rules permit cars which have been lapped to unlap themselves during a Safety Car period, and both Hamilton and Trulli were circuiting at full speed while everyone else tip-toed around behind the Mercedes saloon car. Hamilton then pulled into the pits for fresh dry tyres and fuel and then went back out for another flying lap while the rest of the field were driving slowly on intermediate tyres on a drying track.

As the Safety Car pulled off and racing resumed, Massa and Alonso pounced on race leader Winkelhock and sped past him into the leading positions. David Coulthard (Red Bull Renault) got past both his team mate Mark Webber and Winkelhock to go third.

Hamilton's slicks were not yet working for him and he had a spin at the hairpin and his lap times were 10 sec a lap off the pace..

On Lap 10, Massa was leading from Alonso, Coulthard, Webber, Kovalainen, Räikkönen, Wurz, Fisichella, Schumacher and Barrichello.

Massa finally set a quick lap time worth recording: 1'44.124 on lap 10.

The track was drying fast and Hamilton began to improve and set the fastest times in sectors two and three and then followed that with a new fastest lap time of 1'44.057. On the next lap, Räikkönen pitted from sixth for slicks.

Well done Alex Wurz & Toyota!!!

2007 European Grand Prix - Race Results

Pos Driver Team Gap

1 Alonso, Fernando McLaren-Mercedes

2 Massa, Felipe Ferrari +8.1

3 Webber, Mark Red Bull-Renault +65.6

4 Wurz, Alex Williams-Toyota +65.9

5 Coulthard, David Red Bull-Renault +73.6

6 Heidfeld, Nick BMW Sauber +80.2

7 Kubica, Robert BMW Sauber +82.4

8 Kovalainen, Heikki Renault +1 lap

9 Hamilton, Lewis McLaren-Mercedes +1 lap

10 Fisichella, Giancarlo Renault +1 lap

11 Barrichello, Rubens Honda +1 lap

12 Davidson, Anthony Super Aguri-Honda +1 lap

13 Trulli, Jarno Toyota +1 lap

DNF Räikkönen, Kimi Ferrari DNF

DNF Button, Jenson Honda DNF

DNF Rosberg, Nico Williams-Toyota DNF

DNF Sato, Takuma Super Aguri-Honda DNF

DNF Liuzzi, Vitantonio Toro Rosso-Ferrari DNF

DNF Schumacher, Ralf Toyota DNF

DNF Sutil, Adrian Spyker-Ferrari DNF

DNF Speed, Scott Toro Rosso-Ferrari DNF

DNF Winkelhock, Marcus Spyker-Ferrari DNF

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota is looking a lot better than earlier in the round.

Did you see the hold up of Hamilton from his own team mate in the pits preventing him from doing a final lap for the front of the grid.

Might be a chance for some other teams to focus on the race while the Mercedes team fights its internal battles.

More developments on the Hamilton hold up

1. Alonso says his engineer told him to wait 20secs in the pit for the track to clear

2. Stewards didn't buy it and sent Alonso back 5 places to 6th, AND no constructors points for McLaren

3. Ron blames Hamilton for the hold up as he disobeyed orders to let Alonso pass on track and charged off therefore got out of sequence

drama drama......

2007 Hungarian Grand Prix - Final Results

Pos Driver Team Gap

1 Hamilton, Lewis McLaren-Mercedes

2 Räikkönen, Kimi Ferrari +0.7

3 Heidfeld, Nick BMW Sauber +43.1

4 Alonso, Fernando McLaren-Mercedes +44.8

5 Kubica, Robert BMW Sauber +47.6

6 Schumacher, Ralf Toyota +50.6

7 Rosberg, Nico Williams-Toyota +59.1

8 Kovalainen, Heikki Renault +68.1

9 Webber, Mark Red Bull-Renault +76.3

10 Trulli, Jarno Toyota +1 lap

11 Coulthard, David Red Bull-Renault +1 lap

12 Fisichella, Giancarlo Renault +1 lap

13 Massa, Felipe Ferrari +1 lap

14 Wurz, Alex Williams-Toyota +1 lap

15 Sato, Takuma Super Aguri-Honda +1 lap

16 Vettel, Sebastian Toro Rosso-Ferrari +1 lap

17 Sutil, Adrian Spyker-Ferrari +2 laps

18 Barrichello, Rubens Honda +2 laps

DNF Davidson, Anthony Super Aguri-Honda DNF

DNF Liuzzi, Vitantonio Toro Rosso-Ferrari DNF

DNF Button, Jenson Honda DNF

DNF Yamamoto, Sakon Spyker-Ferrari DNF

• 3 weeks later...

2007 Turkish Grand Prix Grid Positions

Pos Driver Team Time

1 Massa, Felipe Ferrari 1'27.329

2 Hamilton, Lewis McLaren-Mercedes 1'27.373

3 Räikkönen, Kimi Ferrari 1'27.546

4 Alonso, Fernando McLaren-Mercedes 1'27.574

5 Kubica, Robert BMW Sauber 1'27.722

6 Heidfeld, Nick BMW Sauber 1'28.037

7 Kovalainen, Heikki Renault 1'28.491

8 Rosberg, Nico Williams-Toyota 1'28.501

9 Trulli, Jarno Toyota 1'28.740

10 Fisichella, Giancarlo Renault 1'29.322

11 Davidson, Anthony Super Aguri-Honda 1'28.002

12 Webber, Mark Red Bull-Renault 1'28.013

13 Coulthard, David Red Bull-Renault 1'28.100

14 Barrichello, Rubens Honda 1'28.188

15 Button, Jenson Honda 1'28.220

16 Wurz, Alex Williams-Toyota 1'28.390

17 Liuzzi, Vitantonio Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1'28.798

18 Schumacher, Ralf Toyota 1'28.809

19 Sato, Takuma Super Aguri-Honda 1'28.953

20 Vettel, Sebastian Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1'29.408

21 Sutil, Adrian Spyker-Ferrari 1'29.861

22 Yamamoto, Sakon Spyker-Ferrari 1'31.479

• 2 weeks later...

hey gents. just joined and started posting.

i'm a big F1 fan, and have owned Toyota's in the past, just can't support the F1 team with 2 plonks behind the wheel. I have never agreed with any driver choice they have made and they seem to have gotten worse as they have gone on.

please please please get rid of Ralf and hire a steerer who can pedal the car.

Welcome!

As long as Toyota is beating Honda im happy :P :D

It'll be great when Toyota can challenge the top teams but won't happen till they get some talent in designing and developing the car. Then again, they have improved a lot from last season if you compare them with the double world champs Renault ;)

Both Toyota drivers have their on and off races/tracks. And the setup of the car plays a major part too. The 1st part of the season the car was more suited for Trulli while the revised car half way through became more suited for Ralf. I wouldn't say Ralf and Trulli are bad drivers :ph34r: i think they are just not motivated in a "midfield" car (and they aren't getting any younger! :P), but on a good day, both of them can be as fast as any driver in F1 (which only happens only 3-4 times a season).

Theres been a lot of talk about Ralf leaving (and taking his sponsor Kingfisher) to another team, and I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota fires Trulli and have a completely new driver lineup for next season. Some say they haven't confirmed the lineup for next season yet, as theres the possibility of snatching Alonso! :o :o (well they have the $$ :D) imagine that :lol: :lol:

I find the headcase that is Alonso very perplexing.

The guy gets constant pressure from Schumacer for the past 2 years and doesn't even show a sign of flinching, then gets to '07 and gets rattled by a newb. Not your average newb sure, but certainly not in Schuey's league.

Very, very strange, though it won't be the first time Mclaren have played politics.

As for the Toyota drivers, 3-4 times a season isn't good enough when you have arguably the largest budget on the grid. I know they scaled it down but even so. I don't think Trulli's good enough over an entire race let alone season, might as well grab Webber, he can lay down fast laps.

The less I say about Ralf, the better. Family forum you know.

I find the headcase that is Alonso very perplexing.

The guy gets constant pressure from Schumacer for the past 2 years and doesn't even show a sign of flinching, then gets to '07 and gets rattled by a newb. Not your average newb sure, but certainly not in Schuey's league.

Very simple. Alonso hates being beaten by this team mate. Fisi is a joke so there was no problem at Renault. Paired up with Hamilton however is a different story.

might as well grab Webber, he can lay down fast laps.

Webber should do well in a "reliable Toyota" :P Webber lovers on this forum will flame me for this but I think Webber is over the hill much like Button :ph34r:

I don't think there is anyone quicker over a lap when he's on it. You only need to look at his qually consistancy to see that.

I think the man is just brutal on equipment. I know the cars haven't been the best, but i think he forces the issue.

as for being too old. for sure. once you hit 30, watch your back.

Webber should do well in a "reliable Toyota" :P Webber lovers on this forum will flame me for this but I think Webber is over the hill much like Button :ph34r:

Thats because your un-Australian :P. Button may very well be a good driver, but I feel his problem is he has no idea how to develop a car because he has never been with a real driver before, hence why Honda picked up Rubens. But don't let that fool you into thinking I'm a Button fan. As for Alonslo, he is just a *****, a fast rich ***** non-the-less.