RAV4 V6 2008 - Replace Water Pump

Andrew Gregory

Recently had the RAV4 V6 2008 serviced at a Toyota dealer here in Perth (80k service). Prior to that, I had noticed the car was running a bit rough and making some odd noises. I advised them of this when I took the car in for service. They advised that the water pump needs replacing as the bearings are shot, hence the pulley on the water pump is making the noise. The car is no longer under any warranty's. Due to the car being a V6, they have to take the engine out to replace the water pump and have quoted 9 hours worth of labour. The total cost including parts and labour comes in just under $1800.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had had a similar experience with their RAV4 V6. Should I take the car somewhere else and get another quote to get this fixed due to the high nature of the cost etc...

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Andrew

Hi, prior to my current Kluger, I had a 2008 Rav4 V6 and my water pump began leaking and the tensioner pulley also failed. Lucky enough I had extended warranty on mine and this all happened 1 month before the end of the warranty. When I questioned the guys as to the length and cost of the exercise, they told me that they didn't have to remove the engine, but drop a crossmember out of the way in order to gain access. The cost in parts and labour had it been a normal retail job, would've equaled the same as yours approx. $1800.

There are cheaper water pumps out there and workshops that charge less $/hour, it's just a matter of who you are comfortable touching your car and who you trust. Some big name Franchises use poor quality parts and charge a fortune in Labour as they have franchise fees etc etc.