5/6 Channel Amplifer

BigBum

Hey guys,

I have just recently installed a DVD headunit. On the back of this unit is a 5.1ch output (6 rca plugs (LF,RF,LR,RR,SW,C). I've tried using the SW (Subwoofer) output from the 5.1ch output into my mono amp but it doesn't seem to really work (sound is low).

Should I purchase a 5/6ch amp? Will those 6 rca plugs (5.1ch) plug directly into a 5 or 6 channel amp? I just want to be able to have the subs work when watching DVD's and listening to CD's. While I'm at it, I might as well amp my speakers... hence the 5 or 6 channel amp option.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

it should work as it is. A signal is a signal, and if you use 5 chn, its the same thing. Unless, there is a setting to make it work properly. I assume you're not running Dolby Digital 5.1 mode?

Usually to run Dolby Digital 5.1 mode it uses optic fibre wire. But, I dunno if it can also run through RCA. Reason is, to run digital mode u need specific amp that can run dolby digital. Without it, its not running properly. Try Pro-Logic 2 settings if its available, that's the mode where it converts sound into 5 channels without running digital signal mode.

it should work as it is. A signal is a signal, and if you use 5 chn, its the same thing. Unless, there is a setting to make it work properly. I assume you're not running Dolby Digital 5.1 mode?

Usually to run Dolby Digital 5.1 mode it uses optic fibre wire. But, I dunno if it can also run through RCA. Reason is, to run digital mode u need specific amp that can run dolby digital. Without it, its not running properly. Try Pro-Logic 2 settings if its available, that's the mode where it converts sound into 5 channels without running digital signal mode.

Nah i'm not running 5.1 mode. It was just running a disc with 5.1ch audio though. Maybe i was playing it at the parts where there was very low sub signal or something.

Oh, it doens't have optical output but it does have coaxial which does the same thing. So hard to find a 5.1ch car amp with coaxial input though.

I think the RCA outputs are to connect directly into a dolby digital amp like you said, then the amp does the decoding into each speaker.

So with those 6 RCA (5.1) outputs, i can technically use a seperate amp for each channel? e.g amp fronts through RF,LF...amp rears through RR,RL...etc?

is there another rca output besides that 5.1chn rca output? Like, normal rca output (L,R,SW)

nah there isn't any normal rca output... does that mean i can only watch dvd and cd with sub? because the dvd and cd menu have 5.1ch option... tv and radio don't.

so there must be a setting where u can switch between 5 chn/3chn/2chn. Try running audio setting, not 5.1 mode. Your sub should still work.

6 rca doesn't meant 6chn. 6chn amp still have 3 rca in, Front, Back, Sub. 6 chn meant 6 speaker can be run, not 6 rca input.

How many rca are you running at the moment? I assume you are running 3 rca? It has 6 RCA so it can run proper 5 channel, surrond sound. While you only run front, back, sub. So, I guess you only need to use 3 rca out, not all 6.

so there must be a setting where u can switch between 5 chn/3chn/2chn. Try running audio setting, not 5.1 mode. Your sub should still work.

6 rca doesn't meant 6chn. 6chn amp still have 3 rca in, Front, Back, Sub. 6 chn meant 6 speaker can be run, not 6 rca input.

How many rca are you running at the moment? I assume you are running 3 rca? It has 6 RCA so it can run proper 5 channel, surrond sound. While you only run front, back, sub. So, I guess you only need to use 3 rca out, not all 6.

The only setting i played with was some downmix mode thing that if u set to 'on', it will be stereo or rt/tt (something like that). If u set to 'off' it will run through the rca outputs. I have it set on analog sound (raw/pcm dont work of course).

Because my mono amp is connected through SW output of the 5.1ch output, the 5.1ch option had to be turned on, because i think that activates the 5.1 RCA outputs.

I'm not running any of the 5.1 output RCA's at the moment. All the speakers are running off the headunit.

its weird aye. Because no matter what, it should work. Best bet is go to audio installer I guess, I am not too familiar with tv dvd system. Don't wanna give the wrong advice.

I reccomend u go and talk to John, he worked at Audio Fx camberwell. You can trust this guy, unlike many dodgy installer and will give you the rigth advice 1st time.

its weird aye. Because no matter what, it should work. Best bet is go to audio installer I guess, I am not too familiar with tv dvd system. Don't wanna give the wrong advice.

I reccomend u go and talk to John, he worked at Audio Fx camberwell. You can trust this guy, unlike many dodgy installer and will give you the rigth advice 1st time.

yeahs its annoying man. so for sure, with a 5 or 6ch amp i can connect the 5.1 rca output (from headunit) into the 5/6ch amp and run speakers off the amp yeah? i just wanna be sure theres a way to get the sub to run, that's all.

yeahs i really need a trustworthy audio installer, so many dodgy people out there...it's not even funny. thanks for that. :)

if you want to run all 6 rca output, you will need dolby digital able amplfier where there is 6 pair rca in. Better invest in centre speaker too, or else, you will lose out the centre sound.

Channels amount refer to how many speakers you can run, not amount of how many pair rca input. 2 channels, requires 1pair of rca.

so 5 chn - 5 speaker, but still the rca input is 3 pair.

Best you go buy 2 channel amp for your front, or, 4 chn amp for your front and rear speakers. That way, you can run 3 rca output, front, rear and sub. When you watch, don't bother the 5.1 channel, because you dont have 5 speaker in car, rather, just drive stereo (2.1). Remember, all audio is stereo, no matter how many speakers you have in car, the sound is still stereo.

Edited by Danz

if you want to run all 6 rca output, you will need dolby digital able amplfier where there is 6 pair rca in. Better invest in centre speaker too, or else, you will lose out the centre sound.

Channels amount refer to how many speakers you can run, not amount of how many pair rca input. Per channel, requires 1pair of rca.

so 5 chn - 5 speaker

Best you go buy 2 channel amp for your front, or, 4 chn amp for your front and rear speakers. That way, you can run 3 rca output, front, rear and sub. When you watch, don't bother the 5.1 channel, because you dont have 5 speaker in car, rather, just drive stereo (2.1). Remember, all audio is stereo, no matter how many speakers you have in car, the sound is still stereo.

gotcha... thanks :D i'll give john a call anyways to hear his opinions.

yeahs its annoying man. so for sure, with a 5 or 6ch amp i can connect the 5.1 rca output (from headunit) into the 5/6ch amp and run speakers off the amp yeah? i just wanna be sure theres a way to get the sub to run, that's all.

yeahs i really need a trustworthy audio installer, so many dodgy people out there...it's not even funny. thanks for that. :)

Dodgy? :angry: hey, that audio install went fine! it some of the best work I ever did!

Nah just kidding, there is a small chance that the unit itself may not be outputting properly out of that output port. or perhaps we were too trusting of the wires which may have been labelled incorrectly?

Trouble shooting steps i recommend are (in this order)

(1) Email your seller and ask.

(2) try the amp plugged into the other output ports in tha bunch of cables

(3) play with all the menus in the unit

erm, if those don't work. i'll give u a call when i ge back!

Dodgy? :angry: hey, that audio install went fine! it some of the best work I ever did!

Nah just kidding, there is a small chance that the unit itself may not be outputting properly out of that output port. or perhaps we were too trusting of the wires which may have been labelled incorrectly?

Trouble shooting steps i recommend are (in this order)

(1) Email your seller and ask.

(2) try the amp plugged into the other output ports in tha bunch of cables

(3) play with all the menus in the unit

erm, if those don't work. i'll give u a call when i ge back!

We both know option 1 is pretty much a waste of time :lol:

I've tried plugging the mono amp rca into different rca outputs, they are deffinately labelled correctgly.

I'll give a go trying a 2.1 disc and other type of discs and try every option in the menu. There are far too many to trial and error. Gonna have to REALLY study the manual hard :D

Alrights, after speaking to a few people at audio stores... got them to have a read of the manual for me, and having a thorough read myself, (hard to understand coz the english in it was terrible) it was deffinately one of the preouts from the 5.1ch output and a few settings within the system menu.

I had to switch off 5.1ch mode which made the Front RCA and Rear RCA become normal preouts so i can hook my mono amp to either one of them. I hooked them up to the Rear RCA's leaving the Front RCA's for a 4ch amp later on. Apparently John told me only set 5.1ch on when i have dolby digital system setup.

Subs are pumping loud and strong as ever! :D

Thanks Daniel for the tips and Kevin for your sincerity :)

mine is 5.1 surround and i havnt got any issues with my subbs.

however im not using a monoblock for my subbs got a 4 channel crossed over into two channels for the subbs.

but my subbs are fine. in fact some would say to much bass.lol

NEVER TO MUCH BASS :D

*jealousy *

you got your dvd system in b4 me ; ;

i was informed that i need to find a new guy to check my dvd player ; ; after 1 month of waiting HE TELLS ME THAT!!!! ARGHHHHHH

any1 know a good car audio electrician in melb? willing to travel :lol:

*jealousy *

you got your dvd system in b4 me ;  ;

i was informed that i need to find a new guy to check my dvd player ;  ; after 1 month of waiting HE TELLS ME THAT!!!! ARGHHHHHH

any1 know a good car audio electrician in melb? willing to travel  :lol:

What dvd system did u get Tori?

Perhaps you need some negatron action in ur car? Askbigbum man, his car runs faster fter we did the dvd install! More KW!

:( not about the performance, but wen i purchased my dvd system the dvd player din was faulty. no warranty as the system was bought off ebay ; ;

Edited by Mello