Remote central locking

helijohn

Please tell me that someone has fitted a remote central locking kit to an early Rav 4 and can guide me about it. I have central locking on my '96 Rav 4.1.

I have this kit to fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301102934048?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D301102934048%26_rdc%3D1

Normally I use a solenoid actuator but there is no room in the door.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290349164159?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

What do I do please?

With the central locking you have is there a Lock/ Unlock button on the drivers arm rest?

If so wire it up to that. Follow the wires to where they go into the door that way you don't have to run as much wiring.

With the central locking you have is there a Lock/ Unlock button on the drivers arm rest?

If so wire it up to that. Follow the wires to where they go into the door that way you don't have to run as much wiring.

Yes there is. Thanks. I was wondering about using that.

It's a big harness connection. Can you suggest how I wire up to the right wires and I assume I need to run a pair of wires from there through the door grommet to the CL unit.

It's been a long time since I have done it so maybe someone might be able to better help you, but until then... :)

If you can get a wiring diagram for your car you will be able to see what the wires are for that come through the grommet, find which ones are for locking and unlocking and wire these to the outputs of your alarm. If you can't get a diagram you can always use a multimeter.

If I was doing it I would trace the wires as far back as I could to the central locking box as this would be tucked out of site and make it easier to keep the wiring tidy.

It's been a long time since I have done it so maybe someone might be able to better help you, but until then... :)

If you can get a wiring diagram for your car you will be able to see what the wires are for that come through the grommet, find which ones are for locking and unlocking and wire these to the outputs of your alarm. If you can't get a diagram you can always use a multimeter.

If I was doing it I would trace the wires as far back as I could to the central locking box as this would be tucked out of site and make it easier to keep the wiring tidy.

Going to the box would also be less hassle. Is it a red box do you know under the cig lighter?

I was thinking of using a probe test light and operating the lock switch. I reckon that would tell me which is live but the earth will be a struggle.

I just bought a Haynes manual. They used to be good back in the day but now they are not so good. I'll take a look at the wiring diagrams. I only just got the car so I am tied up with a ton of jobs. :mellow:

Update.

Well it's installed. The red box behind the ciggy lighter is the control box and two terminals when each grounded to earth operate the lock and unlock. I found them using a probe light. All you have to do is connect the appropriate lock/unlock leads from the CL unit to them. Job done.