AE92:AE93 - Clear the fog please

My first post so go easy on me if I make errors please.

I have bought (in Feb) a 1990 Corolla SX Hatch (not liftback) DOHC with 4A-GE engine. It has power steering and aircond. The car is red - 5-speed box.

Searching for parts this seems to default to an AE92, but the VIN has it as AE93.

I have learnt the SX has bigger brakes front & rear, and it was delivered new with 14" wheels as opposed to some with 13". the smaller diameter will not fit over the front calipers.

Research tells me its an original SX with all the gauges.

1 Please confirm if it is AE93 and not just an error on the plate. I will assume its AE93

2 Advise me the differences AE92 to 93

3 How many of this model were produced

4 Is this a sought-after model? I'm getting that vibe.

I've seen numerous hatches since buying the car in February, but I haven't seen another one the same, with a black rear spoiler that wraps around the top and sides of the rear window.

1) Depending on who you ask, very rarely SXs were sometimes given AE92 VINs, most were AE93 though. In addition, the whole series is generally referred to as AE92, even when some models had different numbers over the years (ie facelifted CSi/Ultimas etc were actually AE94, and '92-> RVs and Ultima Secas were AE96). Because of this, you'll often just see AE92 in a parts book/catalogue etc to simplify things

2) All AE93s are SX/SX Seca/GTi. Almost all AE92s are not

3) Heaps - it is a Corolla afterall. Good ones are getting hard to find due to P-platers and rust, however

4) See above

As for the rear spoiler, all SX hatchbacks would have had the wrap-around rear spoiler. Unless you have official brochures it would be hard to determine original colour due to the age of the car and the popularity in modifying them (plus the tailgates often rust which means repainting/replacing), but I've seen white, black and red ones (SXs only came in white and red, the later GTi/SX Seca models also came in gunmetal grey)

Thanks Hiro. That helps me to get a better understanding. Very grateful for your time in responding. The car is red. I got lucky no rust!

I could not avoid a few kid things like aluminium pedal covers & blue lights. But performance is v good.

Thanks Hiro. That helps me to get a better understanding. Very grateful for your time in responding. The car is red. I got lucky no rust!

I could not avoid a few kid things like aluminium pedal covers & blue lights. But performance is v good.

You're very lucky that it has no rust, the AE92s suffered from big rust problems in the tailgate and around the windscreen/a-pillars so either you've got a minter or one that has been repaired - regardless, keep an eye out for it and get it fixed as soon as it appears otherwise it snowballs into a massive job worth more than the car.

Hiro - thanks for the tip. While there is no rust in the tail gate, there are Rust Bubbles along the top of the windscreen. Nothing evident in the A pillars tho. I will investigate further. I'm pretty sure there's no rust anywhere else, i've been all over it. Thx again.