Excessive Cranking on First start up

CONROD

Hey all, I,ve noticed the last couple of days my Hilux (2007 4.0 V6 petrol ) has been cranking over a bit longer than normal when first started in the morning or when it comes time to come home from work in the arvo.I removed the fuel hose off the outlet on the filter in the engine bay on the weekend when it was sitting over night . The fuel filter had fuel in it.I removed the outlet hose and slipped a clear hose on the filter outlet and the other end in a bottle and when I turned the ignition on, no fuel was pumped up through it, but the moment I tried starting the engine fuel began to be pumped through.

Its only a new filter been on for around 3000km,I thought it was the culprit, so I removed it and was able to blow through it in both directions, so it was as clean as a whistle ( SAKURA BRAND). Then I got to thinking has the original got a valve to stop the fuel from draining back when stopped for a period of time ?

Obviously the fuel pump is getting power when the engine is turning over, but I thought the pump would run for a second or two when the ignition is first turned on to pressurise the system for start-up.

The fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet is good.

Am I overlooking anything or is there another filter in the tank, or is it the relay stuffed ( I havent got another one to replace it with or can I swap one over from another location to try to eliminate it.

I thought if someone had a similar experience they could point me in the right direction.

Thanks a million.

Prior to this it use to fire almost instantly

What I would like to know is; Does fuel only get pumped up whilst the engine is being cranked over or should the pump be activated for a short burst when ignition is first turned on

Edited by CONROD

• 2 weeks later...

Its only pumped as the engine is cranking. As for the fuel filter, try fitting a quality brand i.e. Ryco or Genuine. Depending on the kilometres, you may have a leaking injector causing slight flooding overnight? You may want to try an injector/throttle body clean? There are so many possibilities.

Thanks for your reply mate, I managed to talk to the service manager where I bought the Hilux from new and he said the same as you in that the fuel pump only pumps (is activated ) when engine is cranking/ running.

The ute only has just clicked over 100,000km so I will put another filter on it,as he said the fuel sounds like its draining back to tank when sitting for a period of time.

I,II take your advise and go with a Ryco or Genuine unit,

much appreciated for your reply

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

after much deliberating and talking to different people, I managed to talk to someone in the automotive trade who told me they have seen the check valve in the fuel pump play up, causing what I am experiencing.

So I give Toyota a buzz where I had it serviced from new, told them its about 12 mths or so out of warranty (3 years ext ) and what could they do me a new pump for.

Supply only prices are-wait for it $700 yes $700 friggin dollars just for the fuel pump and $1502 for the complete assy ready to install,and that's supply only

So I got some prices -REPCO ---------$274

Super Cheap---$159

managed to get it for $139, they price matched Supercheap and went that little bit further.

Its a DENSO pump complete with strainer/filter(identically the same what I removed) .

Used the Tacoma OEM online workshop manual for guidance to remove and replace.

Hope this helps out someone who might have similar probs.

Cant believe how quick the new pump managed to pressurise when it was first turned over.